GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

VATS and FUEL PUMP

Go down 
+2
94Woody
roadsurfer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
roadsurfer

VATS and FUEL PUMP Empty
PostSubject: VATS and FUEL PUMP   VATS and FUEL PUMP Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 12:30 pm

Hello, I have a 94RMW with 130,000 miles on it that has been well maintained. I read threads on here  of Fuel pump failure where you have to drop the gas tank and it is such a PITA. Is it inevitable? I assume mine is the original pump and it gets driven about five or 6000 miles a year. (New filter around 100k)
Is there any preventive care I can do to ensure its longevity?

I have a similar question about the VATS.
I am using the original key with the chip in it and it works fine. but if it fails, I’m screwed. Can I nip it in the bud and disable it? I know I have read on here about how to do it but it sounds quite complicated and I am not at all good with anything electronic. Is there some really really simple disconnect I can do? Is failure of the system in evitable? I’m still using that original key I think and it works fine.
     Also it has been so long since I have used the  key to unlock the door that it doesn’t turn in the lock and it feels like I might break the key off…. how can I remedy that? spray some lubricant in there? Or???.

I appreciate any input here. I value this forum highly and have learned a lot from it. Someday I hope to be able to contribute some helpful  information but for now I always just have more questions. Thanks so much!

Anthony
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

VATS and FUEL PUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS and FUEL PUMP   VATS and FUEL PUMP Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 12:57 pm

Dropping the fuel tank is NOT a very hard task and can be done fairly quickly and easily. That statement can change depending upon the age and condition of the person doing the job. Northern cars that are driven year round can also change things.

Disabling VATS is also a simple task. Just have to unplug the module and ground two wires together. After that it requires a laptop, ALDL cable with tuning software and the software needed to download/unload the bin file from the PCM. I have all of that if you happen to live in central FL.

If the system works I wouldn’t worry too much about it but yes it could be a ticking time bomb. Most failures are related to the key itself or the wires on the key switch itself though.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

VATS and FUEL PUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS and FUEL PUMP   VATS and FUEL PUMP Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 1:22 pm

The Achilles Heel of the fuel pump is the outflow hose. Do a search on this site and you will find some good info regarding the best pumps. Watch a video on disconnecting the quick release hoses and use a board on a jack to lower it slowly. It shouldn't take you more than a morning to finish.
Back to top Go down
roadsurfer

VATS and FUEL PUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS and FUEL PUMP   VATS and FUEL PUMP Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 1:46 pm

Thank you WalterF and 94 Woody….
I guess I will deal with the gas tank when it happens. I just remember reading of someone  who said they had to cut out something off the top of the tank to get the pump out or something… 
My car is mostly a Florida car with minor surface rust on the undercarriage and the tank straps look OK to me.

And 94 Woody, I would be happy with your help. I live in Gainesville just north of you somewhere. What sounds like “a simple task“ (for you) is something I don’t know how to do, using software etc.  how can I reach you? My number is 352-284-7873. You could text me there if you’d like.

Thank you so much, Anthony

94Woody and Serendipity96 like this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

VATS and FUEL PUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS and FUEL PUMP   VATS and FUEL PUMP Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 10:55 pm

roadsurfer wrote:
Thank you WalterF and 94 Woody….
I guess I will deal with the gas tank when it happens. I just remember reading of someone  who said they had to cut out something off the top of the tank to get the pump out or something… 
My car is mostly a Florida car with minor surface rust on the undercarriage and the tank straps look OK to me.

And 94 Woody, I would be happy with your help. I live in Gainesville just north of you somewhere. What sounds like “a simple task“ (for you) is something I don’t know how to do, using software etc.  how can I reach you? My number is 352-284-7873. You could text me there if you’d like.

Thank you so much, Anthony

Wrote your number down and will send a text at some point. Wagon is in pieces in the garage and I need to get it finished. You aren't far from me at all. It's a pretty quick task, less than an hour altogether.
Back to top Go down
roadsurfer

VATS and FUEL PUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS and FUEL PUMP   VATS and FUEL PUMP Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2022 12:31 am

Fabulous! Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

VATS and FUEL PUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS and FUEL PUMP   VATS and FUEL PUMP Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2022 11:18 am

94Woody wrote:

Wrote your number down and will send a text at some point. Wagon is in pieces in the garage and I need to get it finished. You aren't far from me at all. It's a pretty quick task, less than an hour altogether.

Yeah I need to do that too btw....
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

VATS and FUEL PUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS and FUEL PUMP   VATS and FUEL PUMP Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2022 12:23 pm

Sprocket wrote:
94Woody wrote:

Yeah I need to do that too btw....

Since we have the same year yours will be even faster because I already have a tweaked BIN from my car.

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
Podor

Podor

VATS and FUEL PUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS and FUEL PUMP   VATS and FUEL PUMP Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2022 11:18 pm

I recommend no ethanol fuel if you can get it. The ethanol is very hard on the entire fuel system, including the rubber lines and seals. No ethanol fuel much more stable if you don't drive often.

The VATS isn't too bad. The main issues are the thin wires in the ignition tumbler can fatigue a d break and the resistor in your key and be damaged. Neither are a big deal.

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

VATS and FUEL PUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS and FUEL PUMP   VATS and FUEL PUMP Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2022 7:45 pm

when i was looking at a wagon for sale a few years ago for 1500 - was in decent shape but needed a fuel pump - so i went on YT and there's a guy doing the job on a sedan - basically same job I believe - wasn't fun from the crawling under car without a lift and the gas part, but it didn't look too bad for a novice. His biggest issue was the straps were very rusty - so if yours aren't that's a plus.
I would sporadically have issues with my 96 wagon's key - sometimes you just need to clean it and the ignition of any grime and dirt as after a while between getting worn out, the dirt will cause the 'no start/no passkey' issue.

Ethanol fuel--- $$$ or replace fuel lines with SS $$$$ - neither choice is easy on the wallet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
roadsurfer

VATS and FUEL PUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS and FUEL PUMP   VATS and FUEL PUMP Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2022 6:49 pm

Great, thank you for the encouragement!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

VATS and FUEL PUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS and FUEL PUMP   VATS and FUEL PUMP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VATS and FUEL PUMP
Page 1 of 1