GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Woodgrain Trim Help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
theamcguy

theamcguy

Woodgrain Trim Help Empty
PostSubject: Woodgrain Trim Help   Woodgrain Trim Help Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2022 8:11 am

I need some info on the thin wood-grain side moldings that run down the side of the car just under the windows on the top side of the wood-grain panels. First do they just pry off or is it bit more complicated? What style clip holds them on? Does anybody have a photo of the clips that hold these moldings on? On the very front of the front fender is a sideways "V" shaped molding. How does this molding come off and what clips are needed to secure it. Again any photos of the clips. I am starting a project where I need to remove these wood-grain moldings and would like to be as prepared as possible so I do not damage anything and have as many of the correct spare clips necessary in case I do. Thank you in advance for your help, it is much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain Trim Help   Woodgrain Trim Help Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2022 3:29 pm

There are 3 or 4 different clips/fasteners that hold the trim on the car. You will probably break a lot of them. We used plastic trim removal tools to pry off the trim from the clips. The trim is aluminum C channel. It might also be possible to slide the trim and unhook the clips from the body. There are small studs welded to the body that the clips hook onto. There are some screws that hold the ends on the doors.

There is some good info on here, search for threads on the vinyl replacement.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain Trim Help   Woodgrain Trim Help Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2022 11:52 pm

Ive removed a lot of those and rarely have broken those guys. Partially depends on how brittle they could be and use of proper tool and technique.
On the other hand, the big clips holding the chrome on are much more likely to break.
I have some spare chrome ‘arrows’ laying around and will try to upload a pic or two with explanations if someone else doesnt beat me to it.
I can tell you this much- you will need to also unscrew the other piece that goes around the wheel well as there is a clip that joins the two together.
But trust me. Wait for pictures too.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
theamcguy

theamcguy

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain Trim Help   Woodgrain Trim Help Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2022 9:23 am

OK Thank you for your help, waiting on the pictures.
Back to top Go down
WhiteBird

WhiteBird

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain Trim Help   Woodgrain Trim Help Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2022 1:52 pm

Dear Mr., theamcguy

Good day Sir. please see the pic of the clip that holds the upper molding on. on your RMW
that's if I can figure out how to insert a picture.

Woodgrain Trim Help Upper_12

I pray to the digital gods that this works. Regards WhiteBird

PS: I was stationed at Fort Bragg back in the mid 60's, Smoke Bomb Hill. Special Forces Training Group. Next stop SE Asia.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain Trim Help   Woodgrain Trim Help Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2022 4:59 pm

Woodgrain Trim Help Img_2111
Woodgrain Trim Help Img_2110
there are 4 clips (i might have forgotten - someone correct me)  and one screw that hold this front piece on. However, because of the joiner piece that helps it sit flush with the trim that goes around the wheel well, you have to take both parts off. The wheel well piece is held in by 5 screws so there are 6 altogether you need to remove.
note the top - i think a regular white rectangle clip - pictured in the other post - goes about where there is a mark on this piece either that or it's a joiner piece like below - but you will be able to slide the part forward and off without having to remove the top long piece that runs back to the front door.... now see how the front pin is still intact on this one - if yours is still intact, you can help coax it out with a flat head screwdriver or similar tool from the inner fender - there is just enough space to 'push from behind'

the other two clips on this example have the pins broken off already... depending on how brittle yours are, they may break too. Use a trim removal tool and be patient and you might get lucky and not have to fabricate a new pin with epoxy and spare bits laying around... this is where old model airplane kits would come in handy using the scrap that holds the parts on ---- although not sure that plastic is really robust enough

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain Trim Help   Woodgrain Trim Help Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2022 7:51 pm

For the pin mentioned above, it goes into a plastic retainer in the fender. When my wife redid the vinyl on her car that retainer broke, along with plenty of the others, I saw posted about using a plastic wall anchor, that worked perfectly.

This style anchor: https://www.homedepot.com/p/10-12-x-1-1-4-in-Blue-Ribbed-Plastic-Anchor-75-Piece-804092/204273427
I don't recall the size I used.

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain Trim Help   Woodgrain Trim Help Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2022 10:57 pm

Yup learning to macgyver things is always a useful skillset

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain Trim Help   Woodgrain Trim Help Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2022 12:29 pm

here's another piece showing the tab still attached (not broken off like most) I found while going thru my storage Woodgrain Trim Help Img_2112
on the upper joiner

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain Trim Help   Woodgrain Trim Help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Woodgrain Trim Help
Page 1 of 1