GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!

Go down 
+5
Walterf
rcktpwrd
GeoffB
jwasner2k
RBANNING
9 posters
AuthorMessage
RBANNING

Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Empty
PostSubject: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2023 2:21 pm

My name is Ryan Banning. I live in Westfield, IN. I just purchased a 1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon and absolutely love it!! 53,000 miles, runs great, really nice interior, horribly ugly canary yellow exterior color. That's gonna change soon. Can't believe how great these cars are, drives like an absolute dream!

Serendipity96 and Buickman1 like this post

Back to top Go down
jwasner2k

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2023 2:30 pm

Hi Rbanning,

I also have a 96 with tow package and wood delete, White/on Tan. Only 90K on it. We love it. It is a daily driver. I do not think I have ever seen a yellow one. Thell us more!

John W.
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2023 3:00 pm

Hi John, the original owner was an elderly lady in Naples, FL. She did not like the wood paneling and had it removed and the area it covered painted yellow(top half is still white). I purchased it from her neighbor who bought it from her estate when she passed. Other than cruise control not working and windshield needing replaced, the car in amazing condition. Getting quotes on paint now. Did home plate and first base delete. Cheap exhaust mods soon. Probably magnaflow mufflers and dumps in front of axle. Bilstiens on order. Considering cowl induction hood from summit racing prior to paint. I'd like to put 245/55r18's all the way around, but not sure of proper backspacing. Eventually a set of edlebrock performer heads, 1.6 rockers, tri-headers and full 2.5" exhaust but that is down the road a bit.
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2023 3:02 pm

Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! 9920610

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
GeoffB

GeoffB

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2023 3:02 pm

Hi RBANNING welcome
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2023 4:13 pm

welcome!

that is a unique paint job.
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2023 4:25 pm

I don't know that a photo gives a fair representation of its true magnificence, that is a LOT of yellow!!

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2023 9:37 am

Welcome to the forum. I always liked 2 tone vehicles as were common in the 1950's. But there doesn't seem to be any good body line to split the colors on our wagons. Lose the yellow and good luck with the RMW.
Back to top Go down
GeoffB

GeoffB

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2023 3:33 pm

Are you planning on having the whole wagon repainted or just the yellow and what color?
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2023 4:56 pm

What I really want is the whole thing painted black. Strongly considering matte black. Unfortunately, price may dictate going all white, which could still look good with chrome delete and dark windows. I'll be getting prices and making that decision next week.
Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2023 6:22 pm

RBANNING wrote:
What I really want is the whole thing painted black. Strongly considering matte black. Unfortunately, price may dictate going all white, which could still look good with chrome delete and dark windows. I'll be getting prices and making that decision next week.

I saw the car listed for sale and thought about getting it myself. Glad it went to a good home.

Have you considered wrapping the car? That way, not only will the cost be kept under check, but if you ever change your mind then it's much easier to get back to this unique color scheme.

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2023 6:28 pm

Wrap was my original plan but after pricing wrap, paint makes more sense(not a big price difference). And I'm quite certain I will never want to see that yellow again.
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2023 2:53 pm

that lady must've been quite the character... now everyone knows what THAT color looks like on a wagon - thanks for posting the picture... I'd say it's a big NO for me.

I have wondered how a 50s turquoise lower half would look on the wagons with a wood delete. I have a feeling it wouldn't look much better. maybe a little less loud.

The yellow job would only look better if you put that black/yellow striped caution tape as a pin stripe :-D
people might then mistake it for a rolling road sign.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
booster

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2023 3:42 pm

I saw that car when it was for sale also and the whole thing with the color, the little old lady driver sounded like a dealer ad to me.  My first thought was that it was a taxi.

Anyhow, I agree that two color paint split somewhere horizontally doesn't look right on these wagons an over and under thing.

But I do like two color cars in general and the woodgrain cars did not look weird to me as they did a pretty good job in locating the wood part.

I decided to pay homage to the woodgrain that was coming off and somewhat repeat the location with a different color that was not a high difference in visibility.  I wound up with a very bright silver to go with the white car.  Silver on part of the hood kind of balanced it out for me.  
Rockers are black pickup bed liner.

Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Painte10
Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Painte11

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2023 10:57 am

Welcome aboard! If you think that is alot of yellow I have an ALL yellow GMC motorhome llol. At least 3x the yellow ha ha.

Anyway a clean looking ride. Honestly, some dark tint and black out the pillars and some different wheels the yellow could look pretty good IMHO. And paint the bottom of the tire well matte black (factory so it isn't noticable).

Set of rims and tint would be less than paint and you wanna do it anyway. I'd start there and see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2023 12:35 pm

Dropping it off at the body shop this week. Taking it to bare metal, 3 coats of primer with each coat block sanded, finish with black paint. Leaning toward matte black for a more unique look. Any opinions on sheen?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2023 7:15 pm

RBANNING wrote:
Dropping it off at the body shop this week. Taking it to bare metal, 3 coats of primer with each coat block sanded, finish with black paint. Leaning toward matte black for a more unique look. Any opinions on sheen?

for all that body work i'd go gloss or satin at the very least. people use flate or matte when their bodywork sucks to hide it.

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2023 7:23 pm

Sprocket, that's the same the my paint and body guy said and he's been doing it over 30 years. Since posting that, I have decided to go gloss and chome delete. I originally thought matte would be very unique, but I've come to realize a blacked out Roadmaster Wagon is already extremely unique. This is a 100% rust free car with only 1 very minor dent in the rear quarter panel. I'd hate for it to look like I have something to hide!!

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2023 6:57 am

This beauty is now the basis of a thread in the member projects section. She has been dropped off at the body shop for fresh paint.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!   Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Proud owner of a 96 Roadmaster Wagon!
Page 1 of 1