GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!

Go down 
+5
buickestate
Sprocket
toomanytoyz
81X11
Bewber
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bewber

Bewber

An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Empty
PostSubject: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 12:01 am

Not to brag, but I just had the BEST day I've had in a LONG time. It was epic - for me.

I had planned for weeks to go to an estate sale a couple miles away of a local racing legend. By legend - I mean this guy's been dead for 15 years and STILL holds speed records at bonneville. (240+mph in an MG). Anyway, the auction listing of stuff to be sold was so amazing that I had planned to go even without any money - just to see the stuff in person and people watch......

but then ......

But then I joined a yahoo group for pinstripers to learn how to become a brother of the brush - and some dude who's been doing it since 1957 posted that he was having a gathering at his home if any newbs wanted to learn how to get going. I about crapped when I saw that offer and there was NO WAY I could miss an opportunity like that, even if it was the same day as the auction.

So I got up early today, rolled south, and got to hang out all morning with an amazing artist (and fellow wagon kook) who taught me more in one morning about pinstriping than I could have ever learned by myself in a month of Sundays. Granted, I totally SUCK at pinstriping and every line I've laid down looks like it's my first day (since it is), but at least I know why, what adjustments to make, and how to improve. Totally. stoked.

So I leave there and figured I'd swing by that auciton to see if there was anybody left. There hardly was - and it was cold out - and getting dark, and I was so late they made me bidder #500 since they had no idea what the next number should actually be - but all that worked out to my favor because I caught some KILLER deals on some odds and ends lots that nobody else seemed to want. It was like the other 12 people were blind to the hidden treasures I was seeing.

Like one box of goodies I got for $10 had these gauges in it...
An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Sany0310

Another $10 lot had this most awesomest smoked plastic hood scoop thingy ever:
An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Sany0311

Then there was these old Sun engine mechanic something-or-others that were just too cool to not buy:
An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Sany0312

Then there was these. I still don't know what they are, but a quick ebay search makes it appear as though selling them could pay for a year of tuition:
An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Sany0313

An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Sany0314

An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Sany0315

.... to be continued ....

Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 12:15 am

Cool old emblem:
An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Sany0316

Cool old coil:
An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Sany0317

Cool old "WTF is this thing? Who cares it's cool and old!"
An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Sany0319

Oh yea, and this BEYOND cool picture frame for the hot rod bathroom!
An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Sany0320

Oh yea, then I came home to find out I'd scored at the mailbox too, since my paint came in.
An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Sany0321

And last but not least - the BESTEST part of it all today was that my mom had surgery today and it also went great.

Anyway guys. Thanks for the look. There was just no way I could have had a day this epic and not share my sweet victory.

Peace, Love, and Wagonkookery,

John
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 12:19 am

Those VDO gauges are a sweet score. Looks like you had a blast today. Smile

Now we must see some pinstriping work.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 12:27 am

Oh yea. That's just the stuff I could bring home tonight. I also scored a 6' long glass display case, a Studebaker seat, and an aluminum 215 cu in Buick longblock that I have to bring home on Monday.

I didn't do any striping that had any design to it brah. Just lines and arcs that all looked real real bad. When I have something to show, I'll show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 12:32 am

What's the plan with the long block? Aluminum scrap? Or a miniature Top Gear coffee table? Or or or... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 12:47 am

Very cool! Great finds! I love old service equipment and an SUN stuff is very collectable.

Is that Twin Cam emblem off a Cosworth Vega? I seem to remember one like that.

Great haul and sounds like a really fun day!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 9:20 am

Congrats John on all the great old stuff.I think all of the timing stuff was used at Bonneville way back before
everything went digital.Most of the stuff looks to me to be from the late 50s and early 60s.Glad everything went OK
for your MOM which is whats really important.
Hope sunday goes as well as saturday went!
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:33 am

Thanks guys. Ebay shows that emblem to be from an MG.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 1:48 pm

Sweet score, bruh. Smile I can't believe you didn't call me! I woulda run right over. Wink

Good news on your mum, too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 9:09 pm

sounds like a killer weekend!!!!!! congrats
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 9:13 pm

Bewber wrote:

John

I can see this as being a shroud for a urinal.......
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 9:47 pm

I used to use the Halda Speedpilot cluster in the late 60s and early 70s on the rally circuit. Calibrated speedos and cronometers were required to compete seriously. With GPS and electronics these things are now very outdated but in the day they were state of the art.

The gas pickup is just that. It was used to sample exhaust gasses for a three or five gas analyzer. Had to cool the exhaust before it hit the instruments, thus the cooling fins. Again 30 to 40 years old and VERY expensive back then.

The test equipment and Halda stuff all looks like museum quality. Be careful you don't sell it off too cheap.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks Bill. Those halda units are going for big dollars now on ebay for people who are building or restoring "period correct" rally cars.

Them and the Sun stuff are all in pretty good shape. I'm just going to give them a careful exterior cleaning, list them as-is, and hope for the best.

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 12:28 am

The WTF item is obviously a hood mounted Pluntonium Powered X2 Spray Demodulator, made of Unobtanium and used by the Venusians when they tried to destroy planet Earth back on a Saturday afternoon in 1959. Luckily for us all, Buck Rogers and the Lost Planet Airmen got there just the nick of time at the end of the movie matinee to save the planet from being demodulated into gaseous vapor.

You can see right on the unit which end you point towards the "SUN", because luckily for Buck Rogers, the Venusians also spoke English. Had it been marked in Ukrainian, we'd all be random molecules and sh!t out of luck. This was not a version for us wagon lovers though, as it is also clearly marked to be mounted on a "PICKUP"

I remember it well, because as I kid, I had night mares and wet the bed a lot after seeing it for the first time that day. I swear, it had nothing to do with having the four 16oz glass bottled Pepsi's (made with REAL cane sugar) just before I went to bed.

A cartoon version of the event (the Demodulator... not my bed wetting) was also made. The part of Buck Rogers was played by Bugs bunny. What's up Doc?

An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Sany0319
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 8:12 am

buickestate wrote:
Bewber wrote:

John

I can see this as being a shroud for a urinal.......
Pat, is the little hole with the cover supposed to be where one would insert one's member if one planned to utilize said urinal?
I want to learn.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 8:36 am

That's for cutting off the end of your cigar.

Try not to get it too moist, as it won't light well afterward.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 9:25 am

lakeffect wrote:
You can see right on the unit which end you point towards the "SUN", because luckily for Buck Rogers, the Venusians also spoke English. Had it been marked in Ukrainian, we'd all be random molecules and sh!t out of luck. This was not a version for us wagon lovers though, as it is also clearly marked to be mounted on a "PICKUP"

Does that mean there was another one specifically for DIESEL PICKUPS?

Bill
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 6:46 pm

lakeffect wrote:
Luckily for us all, Buck Rogers and the Lost Planet Airmen got there just the nick of time,.

What a load of twaddle,. you are so wrong,. the lost planet airmen played with commander cody and did the song "hot rod lincoln",. and why is it always in the nick of time,. not the dave of time,. the bob of time,.
or the mike of time,.??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDbON8udTPo

Nick

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Thank you, thank you very much.

How come we Bill people, Chuck things, or be Frank with each other when I'm really Dave.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:14 pm

Roger Murdock: Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?

And in honor of the late, great Leslie Neilson..

"Surely you can't be serious."

"I am serious. And don't call me Shirley."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!    An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An EPIC day ending with STRONG Auction SCORES!
Page 1 of 1