GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?

Go down 
+2
94Woody
jayoldschool
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Empty
PostSubject: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Is this on the 'other' forum somewhere and I missed it?

1. How hard is it to do the swap? What's involved? Do I need a special adapter or something?
2. Can you SEM the steering wheel? I can get a black one and live with it, but I'd like it more if it were red
3. Can you replace the horn button with something else (If a T-type wheel)? I could have somebody do up a decal for it or whatever, but I just want to make sure I'd be doing it right.

My wagon's going to be a semi-custom before Daytona dammit. If I'm going to go, I'm going with some new goodies. Smile

Edited title and stuff. I found (and bid on) a red lumina sport wheel from eBay. First question still applies
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Not Crovo, but I have swapped wheels and dyed, too. And... I have a Lumina Sport wheel in my SS, and installed another one in mom's 91 Caprice.

1. Not hard. Take off the bag, remove nut, use steering wheel puller. Cut airbag wire, install new wheel.
2. Clean, prep, clean, prep, prep, prep, then clean and prep and clean. Then, light mist coats.
3. Don't know. However, if it is like everything else GM ever made, that wheel has been used on lots of different cars. Don't think it was in any Chevys, though. You are likely looking at a custom insert.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 8:55 pm

I found a Lumina sport wheel that's already red! Smile I bid on it.

My airbag wire is already cut. I don't know why. But when I took it apart to fix the lock cylinder I noticed it was cut (this is why I don't give a crap about not having the air bag. I've gone this long, lol)

So I don't need to buy any special adapters to do the wheel? Woohoo!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:09 pm

No, the wheel will install like factory (cause it is), and a nice bonus is that you will be able to honk the horn much easier.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Or at all - lol

Now to figure out how to get my horn working again....

Also does anyone know if say, AutoZone rents steering wheel pullers? No sense in me buying one for one time. lol
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 11:33 pm

You can rent pullers from AZ.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Awesome. I'll do that then. This sounds like it'll be easy.

Even for me. lol
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 9:30 am

Stingroo wrote:
Is this on the 'other' forum somewhere and I missed it?

1. How hard is it to do the swap? What's involved? Do I need a special adapter or something?
2. Can you SEM the steering wheel? I can get a black one and live with it, but I'd like it more if it were red
3. Can you replace the horn button with something else (If a T-type wheel)? I could have somebody do up a decal for it or whatever, but I just want to make sure I'd be doing it right.

My wagon's going to be a semi-custom before Daytona dammit. If I'm going to go, I'm going with some new goodies. Smile

Edited title and stuff. I found (and bid on) a red lumina sport wheel from eBay. First question still applies

Wheels bud, do the wheels. Those will change the looks of the car more than anything else!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 9:31 am

Got that covered as of just now. Smoothies it is. Smile (I told you I was indecisive as crap until the money got spent. Laughing)
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 am

A steering wheel update was one of the first mods I did on my Olds Custom Cruiser. I went to the salvage yard and lucked into a nice Ciera International Series with the leather-wrapped 2-spoke. It really made the inside of the Olds look better.

T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Dash
T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? OldsSteeringWheel001
T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? OldsWagonUpdate002

GM used basically the same steering column from 1969 through the 1990's, so you have a TON of choices if you want a factory wheel. No adaptor needed!

I'm on the lookout for a Buick GS wheel for my Roady wagon. The three spoke, but the late 80's, early 90's style used in the LeSabre and Allante, that has solid leather spokes with no metal showing. Sharp.

Have not found a good one yet...but I will!

Good luck and keep the pics coming!

EDIT: Did this same mod on my new '92 Custom Cruiser. Got rid of the air bag wheel. Love this mod!
T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? 442Wheel004

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 9:40 am

But of course. Smile Good luck on your wheel search. I might be going to the yard this weekend too - so if I find one I'll let you know
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 10:02 am

Thanks! Buick actually made a lot of versions of these wheels. The one I really want has curved spokes and was used on the 1990 Regal GS and LeSabre with the handling package.
T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Buick20Regal2020GS201990
The late 80's Reatta and Riviera used a similar design that was all leather, but had straight spokes. It's my 2nd choice.
T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Buick_Reatta_1988
3rd choice was used on the first-year Reatta and 2nd year Rivs. Has a little metal showing on the spokes.
T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Buick_Grand_National

These were all just updated Regal T-Type and Grand national Steering wheels, but those had wide metal spokes. I want as much leather as possible.....think it looks more modern.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 11:33 am

Get the horn wire with the spring on it. The wire for the Caprice wheel is way longer, and has two ends. It just makes it easy. If you do not want the airbag light to stay on, get a 2 ohm 10 watt resistor and put it across the yellow connector below the steering column. You can use two 1 ohm resistors in series, or two 4 ohm resistors in parallel. I got mine ar Radio Shack, and I think they have the 1 ohm resistors in a 2 pack.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 11:35 am

I think somebody either pulled the bulb for the airbag light, or it burnt out, because it isn't on now. I honestly didn't even know the car had one.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Just buy a steering wheel puller. They are under twenty bucks from Harbor Freight. If you are going to work on cars, you need tools.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Remover set is $40 from HF. It's something I'll seriously use once. I'd rather just rent it.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 3:14 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Just buy a steering wheel puller. They are under twenty bucks from Harbor Freight. If you are going to work on cars, you need tools.

I've used my set a ton, and 2nd that, it was $25. Mine is the combo unit and can be used to pull harmonic balancers too. I've used it to replace turn signal switches and wheels on mine and friends cars, plus it's nice to have in the salvage yarding tool box....just in case. ; )

Oh and I bought my at Harbor Freight here in Austin.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 4:01 pm

I can sell you a brand new one for $8 shipped.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Paypal info? I'm in on that. lol
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 9:27 pm

If you are coming to the Spring Rod Show at Daytona, I will have the steering wheel pullers for $3 each. I will be in the swap meet area. I do not know my location yet. I will be staying at the Jameson Inn Friday and Saturday nights. If you see the White Elephant (white 92 OCC), I am there. My cell is 727-692-5510.

They are not fancy, and only for steering wheels or 2 bolt applications, but the price is right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 9:28 pm

I'll be there Saturday for sure. Hopefully I'll get my wheel done before then. LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Sweet that'll look cool!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 4:19 pm

Yep. Smile Plus I'll have a horn. lol
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 4:25 pm

So you'll have to remove your bumper sticker now??

T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Horn_broken_finger_1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Yeah it's going to have to come off. My left hand is going to have to go through physical therapy. Nine months of finger extension and flexion can really take a toll.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 9:51 pm

Sting you poor baby and your finger too.Good looking steering wheel and will look great
installed.
Congrats.
J E G
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks. Smile My mom laughed at me when I bought it and was watching the last hour or so of the auction. She was like "How many people do you really think will want or need a RED steering wheel?"

The cool people, obviously. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 12:19 pm

SUCCESS!

T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? 0222115808

Now... about my horn. I don't know how to connect it. I saved the wire from the Caprice wheel, just to be safe. My plastic things for the buttons were in a million pieces. How do I wire the new wheel up to make the horn work? I don't understand that part.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Take the horn pad off and shoot me a pic. I forget how to connect it, but it is simple. I think the wire connects to a tab, then the spring loaded connector goes into the hub.

For the love of god, take that wheel cover off!

Congrats on the mod.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 3:37 pm

What Jay said,take that ugly cover off that pretty steering wheel.Damn dude that really looks
good.How does it feel compared to the original?
Take Care
J E G
Get off the computer and clean out that interior before Mike sees it and has a fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Wheel cover stays until my can of SEM comes and I can spray it. Smile Compared to the original, it's much thicker and more comfortable on my hands. I need to find a new leisure driving position though. I used to rest the palm of my hand between the airbag and the rim and wrap my fingers around behind it (since it didn't work, that is) but now I can't do that. Sad

And as for the interior... sorry LOL A bunch of friends and I spent yesterday at the beach. There's all kinds of debris in there. I'll be vacuuming it out on Saturday.

EDIT: How does the horn pad come off? I don't want to be breaking it already. lol
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:32 pm

You pull it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Seems simple enough. I'll get a photo after classes today
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Jay here's what I'm dealing with:

T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? 0224151132
T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? 0224151140
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:32 pm

That plastic piece with the spring goes in the hole at 10:00 next to the steering shaft. Push it in, then turn to the right to lock in place (you can see the little tabs on the bottom of the blue part that will catch). Then, put your pad back on. Horn should work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:33 pm

I just tried that, I got the nob things to line up and twisted it so the blue thing stayed in the hole and still no horn. It LOOKS like there's another wire in there that's been cut or something? I don't know. Something was inside there though.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Oh...another dash mat fan! Smile Like the wheel too...looks like it was made for it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:57 pm

I have to be a dash mat fan. Do you know where I live?!

But no, it came with the car. The pad is cracked all around the air vent up top too. Pad looks good for now, and is cheaper and easier than replacing the pad. Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I just tried that, I got the nob things to line up and twisted it so the blue thing stayed in the hole and still no horn. It LOOKS like there's another wire in there that's been cut or something? I don't know. Something was inside there though.

First off, put the big nut back on you column shaft to hold the wheel on.

Now, as for the horn, you push and twist the plastic tube with the spring and wire into the hole at 10 position. CAREFULLY twist it in....you can actually break the catch in that hole and the wire won't stay in (ask how I know).

Next, that thin angled flat piece of metal mounted to the horn button itself needs to make contact with the center shaft metal part on the column when you snap the horn button on. If it does not make contact, ya got no horn. If the wire is twisted in and the flat part is making contact, your horn should work. If not, track down and check the horn fuse.

And let us know if that worked!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Gotcha. I took the center nut off because I was trying to see if I could figure out the horn thing myself. I gave up and took the pic. :p It's back now, of course.

I'll give it another try here in a few minutes and report back. Gotta take my friend home.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:59 pm

Mike you're a genius! My horn works now!

Well... sort of. LOL One of them died as I was driving. I honked it in my friend's driveway when I realized it worked then when I went to honk at someone who cut me off, it was definitely only the high pitched note working.

No matter though. I have Fleetwood trumpet horns at my house, or I could be a super douche and leave only the air horn wired up. Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 1:00 am

Good deal! Glad to hear it. Piece-by-piece!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 1:11 am

Yep. Smile You have no idea how excited I was when I accidentally made the horn sound when putting the horn pad back on the wheel.

Now for the air horns... bwahahahaha. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Ergh.... seriously? I have the dumbest friends.

The horn stopped working again so I took the pad and wheel back off to re-seat the wire (I got it working again). The problem? My friend lost the damn steering wheel nut while playing with it in the passenger seat. This is ridiculous. I can't find it in the car at all, and we looked all over the ground where we were.

Anyone (Fred? Sprocket? Mike?) have a spare? lol
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 9:08 pm

I would watch a reality show about you and your car.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 9:09 pm

It wouldn't be very entertaining. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Nut found! Douchebag friend dealt with. Project complete! Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 9:51 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 11:22 pm

Now for air horns... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?   T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

T-type/Lumina steering wheel swap info?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next