GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Early birthday present from the wife?

Go down 
+2
Krzdimond
draggingframe
6 posters
AuthorMessage
draggingframe

draggingframe

Early birthday present from the wife? Empty
PostSubject: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 4:38 am

Currently the car has a single, cat-less 2.5", with a small glasspack, and some weird square tip the previous owner put on..

I was thinking true dual 2.5", keep it cat-less, into Flowmaster 40's, dumped before the rear axle since the car will be bagged sometime in the future, and I don't want to cut off a new exhaust.

Are there going to be any problems I may run into? I tried searching google, and couldn't find an under body shot of the '92.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:27 am

The transmission cross member only has provisions for a single exhaust. You have a few choices, run dual exhaust, but use the space under the cross member an an "X" pipe; run single up to the rear, then split it out both sides (cheapest way to go as you will only need one Flowmaster); replace the TBI cross member with one from an LT1 car.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 12:33 pm

I don't know anything myself, but there is a lot of hate for Flowmasters on the Impala forum. :shrug:
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Flowmasters have a distinctive sound akin to humming into an empty aluminum can. You can hear a flowmaster exhaust without looking.... and it is usually on a pickup or mustang. (you can tell the difference between those also)

"If it sounds hollow, it's gotta be Flowmaster" Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 4:26 pm

LMAO Robert that was a great definition for Flowmasters.The only time they sound good is
with a lot of cam and the more compression the better they bark.On a stock engine they
remind me of a sewing machine in a 55 gallon drum.
Gotta remember that one
Jim Gordon
"If it sounds hollow,it's gotta be a Flowmaster"
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 8:25 pm

If you have the rear air shocks...you need to remove the pump since it's in the way on the driver's side. (big box in front of the axle)

I just kept my resonator and cat...and deleted the muffler. Sounds nice and was a cheap mod.

Early birthday present from the wife? IMG_9940

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Hey Chris thats a rust free OCC underside and I like that shiny chrome pipe too.Wouldnt
it have been great if your 96 RMW had looked that good when you brought it home.These
cars never cease to impress me but I guess I am just prejudice.Any clues on your plans for
the color of the paint on the Limited?Even A little hint would be good.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 12:46 pm

Chris,....don't you need the muffler for back pressure?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Hey now I really LIKE the Flowmaster 40's on my Roadmaster. I think the key was leaving the resonators in place. Sounds like an old Chris Craft burble at idle, low rumble when you get on it, and quiet on the highway.

My 2-cents!

Good luck with your project!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 7:46 pm

1993 Roady-man wrote:
Chris,....don't you need the muffler for back pressure?

I have the factory cat and resonator (which is a muffler of sort)

No issues or loss of performance.

Jim, the '96 is put away for now. Got to focus on what I can finish the cheapest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 10:20 pm

Yea well if you get that 81 Malibu theres going to be a bunch of explaining going on with the
better half.I already know shes a pretty patient woman so maybe you wont have too much
begging to do.Just kidding Chris'take care and have a great weekend.I have a gift in the mail
for John (Bewber) and I think hes a little apprehensive as to what it may be.I promise as
soon as you see them all will be explained.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 10:37 pm

So I didn't get the exhaust done, because the one shop I know that would do it without adding converters said "there's no way you are going to track a stock wagon", so the hunt is still going. If there is so much hate on Flowmaster, what would you all recommend? Personally, I have never heard one sound bad..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Hey Justin just what does "track a stock wagon "mean?Do they think that you cant put a wagon on the track?
Just Curious
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Yeah basically. They will build a nice exhaust without a converter if it's going to be used strictly for the track. I guess they just don't think my boat has what it takes! Hah.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do.. if I should just buy a couple high-flow converters, or rent a welder, and build my own exhaust.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 11:27 pm

I vote for Magnaflow.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:14 am

^^^^^ Me too, but I'm biased.....

Can't track a wagon? Show them these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-hJUjizGDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zKBmVuA2_s&NR=1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early birthday present from the wife?   Early birthday present from the wife? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Early birthday present from the wife?
Page 1 of 1