GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Driver's door power window switch question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Driver's door power window switch question Empty
PostSubject: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm

My switch has been goofy since I bought the car. It "works", but it's goofy. I'm pulling the door panels off this weekend and would love to fix this.

Here's the deal, one button, the one that controls the passenger front glass, pops up when I press it forward to put the window up, and I have to press down on it after using it to pop it back in place. I think the little chrome button is popping off the switch, and I'm hoping I can super glue it back on or something.

Also, the button for the drivers rear door window goes down easy, but I have to press really hard for the window to go back up. Advice?? Can this be cleaned or something.

I kinda doubt my car is the only one that has these issues. It's just a small 4-button switch. As far as I can tell my 95 Park Ave used the same switch, and it worked fine.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 12:11 pm

Park Avenues do indeed use the same switch.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 12:16 pm

So try to fix it or head for the salvage yard for a replacement?

Anyone else had these issues? If it's not common then mine is just goofy and a used one would most likely work fine. In which case I'll head for the yards!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Get a replacement anyway. Then if you can't fix it, and/or break it, you're good to go.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Any excuse to go yarding... Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 12:56 pm

Mike I bet something has fallen down beside the switches.I replaced the interior colored
switch bezels in my OCC with the Caprice wood grain colored ones.When I took the
switches off the bezels'a bunch of crud fell out.I think if you leave the window cracked or
even down all the way,all kinds of junk falls straight down onto those switches.Should be
an easy fix hopefully.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 2:07 pm

How hard was it to replace the bezels, Jim? I'm looking at a wood set now, but I'm unsure, as I may end up blacking out my wood grain anyway....
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 2:09 pm

Stingroo wrote:
How hard was it to replace the bezels, Jim? I'm looking at a wood set now, but I'm unsure, as I may end up blacking out my wood grain anyway....

Swapping the woodgrain on ours is a cinch. Its hard to explain on here, but you simply use a screwdriver to pop out the small clip at the top of the panel (end towards the dash) and pull the panel up and out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Oh. That's good then.

Guy on CL wants $30 for the passenger side peice and then the door pull pieces, but I already have those. He refuses to separate though. Doosh.

I'll have to JY a set.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Oh. That's good then.

Guy on CL wants $30 for the passenger side peice and then the door pull pieces, but I already have those. He refuses to separate though. Doosh.

I'll have to JY a set.

he wants $30 for the window panel and a couple door pulls?? Thats a rip. I got mine for $5 WITH switches. I'm going yarding tomorrow, if I see one I'll snag it for ya. I have a spare, but I'm hanging onto it for now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 2:18 pm

They're not even the door pulls, just the wood grain that goes around the mirror switch and the handle.

He's on crack. I told him I'd give him $10 for the piece that I want and he was like "I CAN'T SEPARATE YO!#$@!"

Whatever. lol I'm going yarding when I go home for the summer a lot. I'll find a set hopefully. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Hey Ray,I was pleasantly surprised by the change and recommend it highly!Of course after I
installed them I had to clean and shine up all of the other woodgrain so everything matched.I even
found a switch to fill in the child safety lockout switch slot.Dont do anything but the slot is occupied so it looks like the newer wagons that came with it.
Go For It
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 1:15 am

You should take the switch block out and look at it. The little hinge pins on the black portion tend to break, as well as the part of the chrome paddles that slide over them. I can send you a couple of the switch tops and paddles for $5. The paddles will be the same size as the regular window paddles, not the tall one for the one touch down driver's window. They will work in the one touch down position, but not stick up as high. You can pry the black portion off of the base with a thin screwdriver. The chrome paddles come off by pushing them to the side, then front or back, and slipping a small screw driver or knife under the center part. It will come right off. I am repairing one right now. It takes longer to get the panel off of the door and remove the switch block than to replace the switch tops.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 1:22 am

Thanks for all the info, and I may take you up on those switch parts. Going to take it apart this weekend and see what I see.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 1:26 am

I forgot to ask what year car you have. The believe 94-96s have a different switch panel than the 91-93s.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 3:27 pm

It's a 96 model Fred.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Can you post a pic of your switch panel? If not, my email is; jfkiehl@ij.net
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 5:19 am

If you don't go the route of getting extra buttons from Fred... you can buy a whole new set of switches for $20. I did that since I had some plastic chrome peeling on 2. (got mine on e-bay) No, they are not GM..but they work fine and look great. Ours are just getting brittle at this point.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dorman-Power-Window-Switch-901-028-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aBuickQ7cModelQ3aRoadmasterQQhashZitem5adff8e829QQitemZ390304688169QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://www.switchdoctor.net/products/Buick_Roadmaster_1994_1996_Window_Master_Control_Switch-13-0.html?gclid=COL8wvvMkagCFQla7AodvVMHDQ

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 8:24 am

They are totally different from the 91-93 switches anyway. At the $15 price, you can not even get a junk yard replacement. Go for the new ones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:08 am

Thanks Chris I just ordered one for my 95 RMW.SWEEEEET new shiny things to play with.
Thanks Again
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:13 am

Awesome thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door power window switch question   Driver's door power window switch question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driver's door power window switch question
Page 1 of 1