GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tree Sap Removal?

Go down 
+3
stockfornow
94Woody
DBeaSSt
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Tree Sap Removal? Empty
PostSubject: Tree Sap Removal?   Tree Sap Removal? Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 8:34 pm

I've gotten the 91 Cruiser cleaned but while drying it, I noticed there are drops of pine tree sap at various places on the paint.

I've been told that Goo Gone will take that off and I'm sure it will. I'm concerned though about it damaging the original paint. I know we have a couple detailers here, any pointers? Wink

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
94Woody

94Woody

Tree Sap Removal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tree Sap Removal?   Tree Sap Removal? Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 9:02 pm

I use Acetone to remove sticky stuff from paint. Have never ran into problems yet Smile
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

Tree Sap Removal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tree Sap Removal?   Tree Sap Removal? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 8:39 am

A clay bar should take care of it. Just be sure to apply wax after claybaring

Last edited by stockfornow on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

Tree Sap Removal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tree Sap Removal?   Tree Sap Removal? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 8:50 am

If you had not parked under a leaky pine tree you would not be having this issue now would you?

Careful where you park next time....Geeshhh

If you go into the next big town they might have a auto supply place with a full selection of auto care products where you might find some Bug and Tar remover that also works on tree sap.... Cause your general store in your little town only carry three cleaning products that you would use on your cars, Palmolive, Comet, and SOS does have it's uses, however will harm your paint if you try to use them to remove tree sap!

once you have removed the tree sap you will want to prevent this from happening again, so you can always wrap your beloved wagon in that blue low tack masking tape like some people do before they go on long road trips with their cars......

Tree Sap Removal? Tapefront

Please note that I did not mention any names of our fellow forum members who are very OCD when it comes to their painted surfaces on their wagons or that they only tape up their lower rear quaters prior to attemptin a burn out.....
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Tree Sap Removal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tree Sap Removal?   Tree Sap Removal? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 10:06 am

Just for the record. I did not park under a pine tree. And if someone would pick up his parts, I'd actually be able to keep this car in the garage. Wink

And my local store carries at least 6 different cleaning products thank you very much.

Clay bar is an idea but I didn't think it would take off sap. Worth a shot! Smile

Thanks for the tips guys! Now I just gotta find some time to work on it.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Tree Sap Removal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tree Sap Removal?   Tree Sap Removal? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 12:07 pm

Lol on the masking tape!

Mike, do you have a way to hook your hose up to warm/hot water? (or fill your carwash bucket up with sopay water as hot as your hands can take) No need for hard pressure...let the warm water do a lot of the work! This will also help you not to have to re-wax it! (unlike the claybar or goo-gone methods)

That is what I use as Cara insists on parking her car under pine trees at her office. Works very well....espicially if you have a good coat or two of wax on your car. I have not used Goo-gone before but I doubt it will hurt you paint as long as you do it in the shade with cool metal!

Otherwise I can polish it off for you ina few weeks with my DA polisher and put a niiice coat of wax on it too. sunny

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Tree Sap Removal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tree Sap Removal?   Tree Sap Removal? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks Chris! Problem is, there is just about zero wax left on the car unfortunately. No worries about stripping what wax is left! Laughing Suspect

I have a clay bar at the house anyway so gonna try that first. If not, on to the other ideas. Smile
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Tree Sap Removal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tree Sap Removal?   Tree Sap Removal? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 2:47 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
Thanks Chris! Problem is, there is just about zero wax left on the car unfortunately. No worries about stripping what wax is left! Laughing Suspect

I have a clay bar at the house anyway so gonna try that first. If not, on to the other ideas. Smile

lol...well if the clay bar won't work for you...and you have no wax on that sucker. Warm water and Dawn would be my choice. Haha lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Tree Sap Removal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tree Sap Removal?   Tree Sap Removal? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 4:45 pm

Mike, if there is no wax on the car as is, then goo gone will work fine. I also tell people that "it'll need to be polished"........... for a fee of course bounce

If you can wait 'till the night before WF, I can fix it for you............ no charge geek lol!
Back to top Go down
gojira

Tree Sap Removal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tree Sap Removal?   Tree Sap Removal? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 10:28 pm

I know I'm bringing a topic back from the dead, but I think this is a pretty good way of removing tree sap.

When I bought my Grand Cherokee, it had pine sap all over the place. I used Isopropyl alcohol to dissolve it.

I clean the area first with some Dawn and water, dry it, then use the alcohol with some cotton balls to soften the sap, a clean cotton ball to mop it up, then flush again with Dawn and water to prevent the alcohol for destroying anything. Repeat until the sap is gone. Worked like a champ and it is all done with (cheap) supplies that you probably have around the house!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tree Sap Removal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tree Sap Removal?   Tree Sap Removal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tree Sap Removal?
Page 1 of 1