GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Audio help needed

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Ok so I just scored an original set of ( 8 ) Bose speakers and wire connectors out of a 2004 Escalade, 2 very small tweeters from the A-pillars 4 speakers from the doors and 2 more tweeters from the D-pillars.

I want to know what would be the best way to hook these up. My current stereo sucks, so that needs to be changed. I am looking for a clear crisp sound when I'm done, I don't want and overload of base but I gotta have some better than stock. So please give me some ideals. All the help I can get will be appreciated.
Back to top Go down

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Bose makes good stuff and thats about all I know about sound systems Jarrod.Please post
pics once you decide which way to mount.Any new info on the chrome center piece for your
rear roll pan modification?
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks for your vast knowledge of speakers, It sounds about the same level as mine. LMFAO. My brothers were into stereo's I wasn't. Now there out in Oklahoma.

As for my rear bumper conversion Lorne was able to find his busted roll pan for me and I hope to get that transformation going sooner than later. I hope. Lots of stuff to do to my baby and I added a new paint job to the list of things to get done before wagonfest.
Back to top Go down
thecustomshop

thecustomshop

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 6:38 pm

The tweeters should be placed up high but not directly facing you (to harsh), the mids need to be baffled from the rear (Metra Part number VXT62) so they are protected. Use a 2.2 mFD capacitor on the tweeters and a 200.0 mFD Capacitor on the mids. You will want to put at least a small amp on them as the caps will lower your watts and the head wont have the power to sound good. I have used a exsonic amp for this and they go for about 100.00 bucks. Run everything in series and run the tweeters off the line going to the mids. With less power you have to run less speakers, if you hook everything up to low watts it will only raise the ohms and make it some bad or worse burn up the amp pushing, I would guess that you should be best sound at 50 watts per line..... So, from front to rear,,,, Rt frt door, 50... Lt frt door, 50.... (run the tweeters in the a pillers and run wires to the line feeding the door mids)... Rear door, 50 each. place the tweets in the B pillers facing the other rear passenger creating an "x" once again running those wires off the line feeding the mids. You will need some Bass in there when this is done as the Caps will cut it all out but it will be clean a crisp as requested. Let me know if this helps
Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Hey Jarrod theres your answer all in one neat paragraph.Sounds like he may have done this a few times.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 6:45 am

Well now i need to know where to get all this stuff, off to google search for now. Hope I can do this. This baffle u r talking about is it the piece that is on the backside of the speaker? Foam like stuff. if so the speakers had this on them when I took them off.

Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 7:48 am

Ok so I drew this up with I think is what you meant with the capacitors in the lines.

Now as you can see each side is different, and I wanted to know which side is correct if any. Also if I were to use another speaker in the factory location could I get my base from that location? or am I not thinking right?

Audio help needed Wagonsetup
Back to top Go down
thecustomshop

thecustomshop

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 11:49 am

Audio help needed Wagons11
Back to top Go down
thecustomshop

thecustomshop

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 11:51 am

Played with your Pic a little this is what you want to do. Need anything els let me know
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I'll let you know what happens.
Back to top Go down
thecustomshop

thecustomshop

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 11:54 am

You got it on th baffle stuff, if you need any help finding the stuff let me know I got tone of it, lol.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 11:55 am

What about my Base question?
Back to top Go down
thecustomshop

thecustomshop

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Sorry, missed that, I dont know the bass location in question but for the best bass use a sealed box for this application I feel. Depending on the music you listen to will determine the speaker and the amount of air space needed for that speaker. IE, if you like rock n role a 8inch or 10inch will work and most use around 1.5 feet of air space. or if you like RnB maybe a 12inch speaker or bigger. The bigger the speaker the more air space needed. I do have some of this stuff so just let me know if you need.
Back to top Go down
thecustomshop

thecustomshop

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 12:25 pm

bass base , lol. sorry
Back to top Go down

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 12:38 pm

I swear I posted.. hmm.

Anyway: It will be really hard to get clean bass from the factory 6x9 location. The mounts for the speakers are made of crappy pot metal and will rattle til the cows come home. Mine do this and it irritates me. If you come up with a solution that fits, without cutting the plastic above the speaker... I would be interested in hearing about it.

Also of note: If your spare tire cover is loose/missing its screw cap thingy, it too will rattle. Mine does. Irritating.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 12:51 pm

thecustomshop wrote:
bass base , lol. sorry

I'm human and my sauasge fingers don't work that good for typing.

Stingroo wrote:
I swear I posted
You did I deleted it. just kidding LOL!
Back to top Go down
thecustomshop

thecustomshop

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 1:27 pm

I dont know how much room you have in that area but I have some 6x9 boxes that have been used in stock location in the past. I think in this case you might want to increase the hole size to a 10 inch speaker and make a fiberglass inclosure. it will sound the best in with a grill and some grill cloth could even look very clean, like a factory option. also have some if you need, lol. lmao, I got to much stuff, lol
Back to top Go down

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Well I learned a lot from that little bit of posting.I am saving your schematic if thats the right
word to use.Saving it regardless.By the way customshop,thats a sharp looking Caprice you
got there.Bet its a lot of fun keeping those white wheels clean but look to be worth the effort.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Well i think for now I will just use the Bose and forget any bass until I have more time. I have just added more work for my ride before wagonfest. Like I don't have enough to do already, Gesh!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:23 pm

Forgot to say,........THANKS A MILLION for your info!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
I am saving your schematic if thats the right
word to use.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
So you like my drawing huh,I had to add the sunroof because I was working on a Buick LOL! That is how anal I am sometimes.
Back to top Go down

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:34 pm

Yea I got a kick out that!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 7:06 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Audio help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Audio help needed   Audio help needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Audio help needed
Page 1 of 1