GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Interior dashboard/light switch illumination

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Empty
PostSubject: Interior dashboard/light switch illumination   Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 1:18 am

Hi gang-

I have taken the dash apart on my 94 RMW and have been fixing things that have been loose or ill fitting for some time. I have some dash lights out and went to 3 different auto parts stores and no luck finding replacements. The headlight switch is just a dot of a bulb so small that it is the size of a pin head. The 194's have bases on them that say to "replace entire lamp assembly" as the base has the wires placed in the socket in a very unusual way. Lastly, there is a bunch of small ones that light up the Indicator warnings (oil, air bag, etc.).

I need to get my car back together quick and the only way to acess these bulbs is by taking most of the dash apart and I am not looking to do this again anytime soon!

Help! Anyone have a lead on where these particular bulbs are obtainable?

Lance

Last edited by Wagoninabox on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Interior dashboard/light switch illumination   Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 10:19 am

I believe I remember someone saying that you can get the bulb from Radio Shack.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Interior dashboard/light switch illumination   Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 10:34 am

Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Interior dashboard/light switch illumination   Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Mike-

Thanks for the link...great info! I will go to Radio Shack and locate this. Since you have experience with the dash, what number did you use for the indicator bulbs? There are many similar bulbs and I think it may be the #74 to use?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Interior dashboard/light switch illumination   Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 3:14 pm

I've only replaced that one bulb on the headlight switch.....sorry I can't remember the number.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Interior dashboard/light switch illumination   Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 1:11 am

Lighting problems solved! Thanks to the link above from 81X11, I was able to successfully change out all the needed bulbs in my wagon. Sure looks great to have all of the factory illumination working!

The twilight sentinal along with the rear wiper/release switches use the micro bulb that is described in the link.

I also found that the lock/unlock switches on the door also illuminate and use the same micro bulb. To make the door lock switches light again, you have to have some skills in very fine detail work and have a pinpoint soldering iron and micro tools. The switch has to be taken apart (carefully) and desolder out the bad bulb and solder in a new one.

As for the dash, I found no retailer that stocks the bulbs for our dashes. The 194's for backlight illumination have wires that are wired into the bases uniquely; they are not pull-out push-in into a base. All of the indicator lights are the same style unique dedicated base. I found a 93 Roadmaster in a wrecking yard and took all of the bulbs. These bulbs actually say "replace entire assembly" right on them.

So I now have a fully lit dash, all indicator lights work, twilight/headlight switch, rear wiper/window switch, door front door bezels down lights and the door lock switches backlights.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Interior dashboard/light switch illumination   Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 10:16 am

Good job! Glad you got it all lit up.

I still have that one bulb out in my stereo...and it bothers me. Will mess with it soon.

Again, good job!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Interior dashboard/light switch illumination   Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 8:02 pm

The rear wiper switch/wiper switch is suppose to be lit? I have some bulbs to replace!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Interior dashboard/light switch illumination   Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 9:47 pm

there's bulbs in the dash? WHo knew?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Interior dashboard/light switch illumination   Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:44 am

95BRMW wrote:
The rear wiper switch/wiper switch is suppose to be lit? I have some bulbs to replace!

Yep!

Interior dashboard/light switch illumination HeadlightSwitch007
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Interior dashboard/light switch illumination   Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 3:40 am

Okay so after all the work I did to illuminate the entire wagon, I found that the far right side of the radio seemed like it should have a bulb. It was driving me crazy so I pulled the dash again and pulled the radio. After a lot of searching, low and behold, there is a soldered in bulb on the far right of the rado that in essence lights up just the "set" and "4" number.

To take the radio apart, take the knobs off including the 2 slider knobs (94 version). Loosen the bottom plates 2 side screws. Take the top off, tilt the radio up at an angle so the dial is facing slightly downward, and carefully pry the bottom front away from the face. There are 4 tabs, 2 top, 2 bottom that need to be released and the entire faceplate will come off. IMPORTANT- you must ensure you are tilting the face plate downward as all the buttons will fall out everywhere if you don't.

There are 2 pullout bulbs one on the left and one slightly left of center. Poor design as the center bulb has to broadcast light up, down and across the buttons. Unfortunately, the light peters out by the "4" button so it looks like as an afterthought they added another lower output bulb to the far right to give the last 2 buttons some light. Unfortunately, instead of using a socket, they soldered the little bulb to the circuit board.

You will need to use a pinpoint soldering iron to desolder the old out and a new one in.

So NOW I have a fully lit Dash!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interior dashboard/light switch illumination   Interior dashboard/light switch illumination Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interior dashboard/light switch illumination
Page 1 of 1