GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Headlight Switch Question

Go down 
+2
Krzdimond
81X11
6 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Headlight Switch Question Empty
PostSubject: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 12:32 am

Goofy, but driving last night I noticed that my headlight switch lettering is not backlit. The rear window wiper and release switches below it are backlit. Is my bulb out or did GM not bother to backlight the headlight switch on the 94-96 Roadys?

Just curious if this is something I can add to my salvage yard search list. Very Happy

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 6:37 am

the 96 roady came with a headlight switch? I'll have to check, but i don't think I have one....
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:02 am

On the back of the plate that the switch comes through there is a small white box. It has an EXTREMELY small bulb in it. I cannot find replacements.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 9:25 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
On the back of the plate that the switch comes through there is a small white box. It has an EXTREMELY small bulb in it. I cannot find replacements.

Ok, will be taking that apart then. I found some tiny bulbs for the trip computer on Misty's Grand Prix at Radio Shack.

We'll see!

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:29 am

what is a time bumb? If you have found "tiny bulbs" Laughing lmk a part number!!!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:34 am

I think Nick has replaced them. The bulb is from Radio Shack.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:55 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
what is a time bumb? If you have found "tiny bulbs" Laughing lmk a part number!!!

HaHa....ok we all know I can't type or spell... Actually my Dad called my Caddy Catera "The Time Bomb"...does that count? He was always expecting that car to blow up.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 12:18 am

It's the little things in life that make me happy..... Very Happy

Headlight Switch Question HeadlightSwitch001
Headlight Switch Question HeadlightSwitch008
Headlight Switch Question HeadlightSwitch007
Headlight Switch Question HeadlightSwitch006

For those who need this bulb, it's the same one that's in a 2001 Grand Prix trip computer... for your salvage yard adventures.

I had no idea this lit up...it's never worked since I bought the car. Thanks for the info!

Oh and it's no wonder these burn out. The light comes on as soon as you turn the key forward and is on whenever the car is running. It works independent from all the other dash lights. I guess so you can find the headlight switch at dusk...

Anyway it's a really simple job.....and looks better at night now!

-Mike

Oh and sorry my cheap-ass old 5-megapixal camera won't focus in the dark....or that my hands are too shaky.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 7:20 am

Hey,leave that cheap-ass old camera alone!Its taken some pretty remarkable pics over the years and it can be a little tempermental if it wants,
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:15 am

The zoom no longer works. To turn the camera on I have to press the on button and pull the lens out by hand. It no longer with move on it's own, the gear in there just grinds. Ha!

My brother got me a really nice new camera for my birthday but I've yet to buy a memory card for it....and just been using "old reliable".

I need to go to Wal-Mart and get a card for the new camera but I keep spending money on other stuff.....like gas...food...kids....

Rolling Eyes

-Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:43 am

Radio Shack? Part numbers?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:51 am

I have a couple packs of the bulbs from radio shack at home, can get you guys a part number tonight. I originally got the number off the ISSF after much searching.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:58 am

What about the electric lock switch in the door. I have replaced mine 2 or 3 times (the whole switch) and still it works when it wants to!!!! What a Face
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:59 am

I'd replaced the trip computer with a salvage yard unit and had the old unit on the shelf in my garage, and stole a bulb out of it last night. When I get home tonight I'll see if I can get they number off another bulb in that computer.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 10:00 am

Strike that, found my GP notes, you want either a #24 or #73 bulb. Both should work. I used a #24

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/552365--long-life-mini-bulb-by-sylvania-part-24-ll.html
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 10:02 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
What about the electric lock switch in the door. I have replaced mine 2 or 3 times (the whole switch) and still it works when it wants to!!!! What a Face

I had a bad bulb in one when I did the door panels and just replaced the entire switch with a salvage yard part as well. Guess I need to crack a switch open and see what's in there.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 10:15 am

81X11 wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

I had a bad bulb in one when I did the door panels and just replaced the entire switch with a salvage yard part as well. Guess I need to crack a switch open and see what's in there.

-Mike

I have a few extra..... I will try to destroy one later this week......
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 4:44 pm

How about the bulbs in the climate control? One side of mine is out.

Jon
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Found the package to the bulb for the head light switch. I'm pretty sure its the same bulb for both roadys and caprices. Its radio shack PN 7219 Micro lamp. 12v 60ma, wire base.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Switch Question   Headlight Switch Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Headlight Switch Question
Page 1 of 1