GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lookin for 96 Wagon

Go down 
+2
Ancient_1
Scottzilla
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Scottzilla

Lookin for 96 Wagon Empty
PostSubject: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Hello Everyone,
I just registered here because I've got the itch to go fast with class and bring along 7 of my closest friends.
I'm looking for a 96 RMW w/ tow package and as loaded as possible. Mileage under or just over 100k. Something that drives and isn't a total dog but i'm not looking to spend a fortune either. I'm in Chicago so prefer something local but I will travel for a good deal.
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 11:25 pm

I would consider getting a 94 or 95 also. I was lookin for a 96 and ended up with a 95 and I am glad I did since I like the fact it is still obd1 rather than the obd2 for the 96's.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 7:58 am

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2639440950.html - Low miles, Dallas car since new so zero rust. The most common colors, but other than that, hard to beat!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Scottzilla

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 11:29 pm

Well I found one, but first lemme tell you about that dallas car.
I actually contacted the seller, he was listing the car for his father in law. He sent some more pics, it looked pretty good so I went down there.
On arrival the car was not in as nice condition as it looked in the pictures. Not saying this was on purpose, just maybe poor photography. The car did not have many options, and had some issues.
It pulled hard to the right. Owner said he would not pay to have an alignment done.
The horn was broken and replaced with a yellow button on the dash.
Three was an issue with the tailgate, it didn't open in the down posiion, bumper cover was in the way. Bumper cover was also cracked. I'm no expert, but it looks like maybe some minor collision damage.
Owner said he knew nothing about it- I'll take his word for it.
After all that I thought maybe i'd get the car if he'd come down on price, he would not budge.
I went home empty handed but I had a good time in Dallas anyhow. Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 1:33 am

Well I'm glad you enjoyed Big D......sorry the wagon was a bust, especially after such a trip! Wish you'd reached out....I might have been able to find something else while you were down here.

What did you end up buying?

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 11:10 am

At least you had a good time Scot and managed to stay positive.Hate it when the car is nowhere
near what the pics lead you to believe.Hope you got a nice wagon for all your trouble.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Scottzilla

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks guys, I always try to find a good side to something and I had that mindset going in. That way I wouldn't feel like the trip was a waste coming back empty handed and buying a car I normally wouldn't.
I actually thought I'd put the Wagon hunt on the backburner for a while, but when I got back from a trip over Thanksgiving, I got an autotrader alert.
The car was about a 90min drive away, I called the seller to go look at it.
Pretty well equipped incl. tow pkg. Only missing option I noticed is heated seats.
There is some minor surface rust but nothing serious. I plan to drive it around as is a while, and when I get my other project done, start on the Wagon. For now i'm just doing a bit of catch up maintenance.
Here's the first couple pix I took.
Lookin for 96 Wagon 2011-11-28161522
Lookin for 96 Wagon 2011-11-28161657

Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Lookn Good scott - ditch that mechanical fan for electric fans (give ya a few more ponies)
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
Scottzilla

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:33 pm

LOL I was just reading that thread. I think I may do it in the spring.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Looks very clean under the hood and its not a white woody so that makes it woth more money.
How little is the little bit of rust?
Jim
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Switching to electric fans gives you a lot easier access to the engine. So does getting rid of that home plate resonator.

LT1 engine, 1994 Buick Roadmaster wagon

See all the daylight on the pavement?
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Scottzilla

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 6:02 pm

There is some surface corrsion on the frame. the worst spot I found was the drivers side front wheel well. the battery tray, and the support bolt for the coolant tank that bolts into the fender has come loose from the fender rotting out around it. Otherwise the car is pretty clean. the interior is nearly flawless.
Tan is worth more? I actually like the white better.
I'm not sure I want to take the resonator off. I want to make it as buick as possible, which to me means not as loud as hell.
Plus IMO the LT1 is really not a pretty motor.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Get the air pump off, mechanical fan off, and put a set of corvette fuel rail covers on it, and its actually a great looking engine! Stock, ya it looks pretty lame! I was always so happy to have a LT1 under the hood, but embarrassed to show it to anyone! lol

get us some more pics! We love pics!
Nice car!
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 7:45 pm

oh, do NOT rip the resonators off. The resonators are your friend! If you want noise swap the mufflers. The resonators will keep the drone away at cruising speed and keep the wife happy!
Back to top Go down
Scottzilla

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Ya I really don't want noise unless it's full throttle.
I have this crazy desire to put a 455 in it, so I don't want to dump any money on the engine, just keep it in good shape and hope it's worth a few bucks.
Hopefully it will be sunny and bearable tomorrow, if it is I'll take a few pics.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Theres a few aftermarket mufflers that are very quiet.
The Dynomax VT's are a good one!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 8:31 pm

Scot,Nick can tell you all about the 455.But there goes your mileage around town.I am working
on an LQ-9 and a 6 speed automatic.Then I will have the best of both worlds,power,torque
and mileage.Was just kidding about the gold wagons being worth more than the white ones.
Trying to keep a joke that Nick started about how common the white wagons are for texas
Mikes sake.
Jim
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 10:11 am

Nice '96! Good find!

I tend to agree on the resonators. I replaced my stock mufflers with Flowmaster 40's, kept the resonators. Nice rumble at idle but quiet in the car...sounds good when you get on it but quiet on the highway. Love the sound!

As for the LT1, with some minor mods and some elbow grease it can make a good looking engine!

Lookin for 96 Wagon CorvetteRails002
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Mike, I see dust in your pic.

:p
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Mike, I see dust in your pic.

:p

It's Texas, what can I do??
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 3:55 pm

And that pic still has mechanical fan, air pump, etc! Smile Still looks great!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Deadmanonduty wrote:
And that pic still has mechanical fan, air pump, etc! Smile Still looks great!

I don't know if it matters or not but I tow a boat, a motorcycle trailer, and other things, plus I live in Texas, so I left the engine-driven fan. I've never seen my gauge go to even the halfway point, and I towed a boat in 110-dregree heat last summer, with a carload full of people and the a/c blasting.

I did have to do a water pump when I first got the car, and yes it was harder with the fan, but no harder than any of my older cars that had engine fans.

As for the air pump, yep it's still there too. Have never messed with it.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 11:29 pm

Just saying your engine looks good and you still kept some of the stuff most guys say look bad. I don't mind the Mechanical fan, but I'm gonna try taking mine off this winter and see how I like it. I HATE the mechanical fan because when I drive into my hunting land on the dirt road that huge fan stirs up so much dust that I can't hardly see!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lookin for 96 Wagon   Lookin for 96 Wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lookin for 96 Wagon
Page 1 of 1