GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Will the door panels melt?

Go down 
+4
Fred Kiehl
phantom 309
silverfox103
Krzdimond
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Will the door panels melt? Empty
PostSubject: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 10:26 am

Seriously, I weld bumpers all day with a soldering iron and heat gun, and my drivers door is cracked (again Mad ) and i am wondering if I can "weld" the door with heat. I cannot remove the door to find out, it's too bad to put back on and I do not have any spare parts....

Superglue, fiberglass, and even epoxy didn't work.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 10:57 am

I think Nick knows of a product, some kind of a liquid weld, that he swears by.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 11:54 am

First thing is determine why the panel is breaking,. I>E it,s not attached properly,. it needs reinforcement behind the break before the plastic compound id applied,. is the panel not attached to the door properly and it,s flexing too much,. you can hide self tappers in behind the carpet down low,. and behind the door handle panel, all contributing to a better stronger panel,.

I'll go find the plastic welding compound stuff i,ve got,. it really works well,. i just used it recently to cover a hole in the fuel rail of an N14 cummins that had worn up against a line,.

clean surgically, shake some powder on,. a few drops of catalyst,. some more powder etc,.
works well,.saved about 2hrs and the cost of the line,.

It becomes permanent in less than an hour,.

i also fixed the end of the cruise control cable where it snaps onto the throttle,body on mommy,s fancy ford,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Will the door panels melt? MVC-083S-1

the part# is for the color,. i,ve got white,.. black
damn stuff works really well and i,m always cynical,.
It will take paint real easy too,.would fit in very well with your detail business, repairing interior plastic parts,. using the molding material you can reproduce broken off tabs etc,.

plastex how to video's

Nick
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 8:35 pm

I just repaired a door panel that I thought was totaled. I used MEK and some plastic from another scrap door panel. I took the panel off, and leveled it on the ground face down. Only use MEK OUTSIDE.

Then I used some packing tape to hold it together, by taping from the top to the bottom without taping the door at the crack. I also aligned it front to back with another piece of packing tape, making a cross over the panel. I left the crack exposed.

I made a piece of plastic from another door that was the same length as the crack, and about 2 inches wide. For a curve you can heat and bend a piece of flat plastic, like the part above the door pocket (smooth side toward the door). I used a heat gun and a couple of wood paint stirring sticks to hold, and bend the plastic in a vice. You have to hold the piece in the shape you want it until it cools, or it will spring back, and not hold the shape. Make patches for the different areas, or curvatures. Do not try to make one piece to cover everything if there are irregularities in the shapes. I covered about 80% of the cracks.

Next I used a 1 inch wide cheap brush to put some MEK on the crack from the back side of the door, and made sure it penetrated the crack (do not touch the face of the panel with MEK, or you will mar the surface).

The final step is put MEK on both the panel, and parts you made, then, while they are still wet, join them together. You may have to hold them in contact with each other, but at the same time, do not disturb the alignment of the panel parts. You can brush some more MEK on the edges of the parts you made to make sure the MEK gets between the surfaces. A helper is of great benefit at this point.

It takes about 15 minutes for the MEK to "set" so if you can get some clips of some sort to hold it you won't be as tired. I would not use the door panel for about an hour.

If you do it properly the door panel will be stronger than it was originally. If you get good penetration into the crack, and do not get the MEK on the front, the crack will be almost invisible. One caution, this only works on the lower panel, because the panel is styrene. The upper panel is ABS, and does not respond to MEK. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. MEK is available by the quart at Lowes.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Methyl ethyl ketone?
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Yep!
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Well, as long as we're talking about plastic...
Does anyone know what substance will glue or bond nylon pieces together?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 10:30 pm

jimbeau wrote:
Well, as long as we're talking about plastic...
Does anyone know what substance will glue or bond nylon pieces together?
Heat. You may be able to use acetone, but it is not going to give you a good bond. What is nylon and needs fixed. If it is the cable for the antenna, it will not be strong enough.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 1:41 pm

No, I'm trying to come up with a 'snap-in' fix for unlocking the door like we discussed. Using a couple of nylon stand-offs is one of my genius ideas.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 5:15 pm

You might try a clamp around the rod. use a screw to make it grip. Sort of like a collar with a slot in it to go over the rod, and a screw through the side with the gap to make it grip. You could use nylon, brass or steel.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 6:24 pm

jimbeau wrote:
No, I'm trying to come up with a 'snap-in' fix for unlocking the door like we discussed. Using a couple of nylon stand-offs is one of my genius ideas.

go to the web site for plastex and look at the video's,.
Back to top Go down
Robert 96

PostSubject: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 4:28 am

Sure glad I found this. Saved the day!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 6:46 am

Thanks Nick. Great info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will the door panels melt?   Will the door panels melt? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will the door panels melt?
Page 1 of 1