GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear axle bearing tool

Go down 
+9
94Woody
jimbeau
phantom 309
brokecello
Fred Kiehl
Sprocket
mtrhead79
BigBlackBeaSSt
yakko
13 posters
AuthorMessage
yakko

yakko

Rear axle bearing tool Empty
PostSubject: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:38 am

Any one know if the KD 41710 puller kit works for our wagons? I need to pull the bearings on my tubes.

Thanks
Randy
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:45 pm

A buddy used a dent puller with attachment
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 1:07 pm

Yea, I have the dent puller. This tool is for pulling the bearing. I'm wondering if this will fit our housings? confused
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 8:39 pm

i know the one harbor frieght uses works
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 pm

I pulled both axles and bought a 10ft piece of steel pipe at home depot. slid it through and tweaked the one side down behind the bearing and had my neighbor whack the other side with a 6lb hand sledge and the bearing flew right out, no muss no fuss. Smile

Pipe was cheap too. Used it on two wagons now ha ha ha

DId I mention I live in the south
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:46 pm

The 10 ft pipe is the best back yard story I have heared yet! I did order a puller set. I think it was from Harbor Freight. Anyway, I bought two new Dorman axle kits. I had to take them back because the stud holes were too big. I could turn them with my fingers. I thought about trying a couple more. Anybody buy any of these??? I hate to have to order a set from Moser axle. The driver side looks good except for a little wear at the seal suface. Any one have any good ones sitting around??

Thanks
Randy Sad
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:03 pm

try your luck over at the ISSF forum, there have been some folks with wagon axles FS over there in the past.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Get the Moser axles. They are made in the US. Dorman axles are made in India or China. If I were going to put axles in mine again I would get the Mosers. The cost is not that much different.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:28 pm

If the axle is worn (and you can't get another...) you can use a "repair" bearing kit. It moves the location of where the bearing rides on the axle (inward a touch) Will help give more life to a slightly worn axle.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BCA-RP6408/

To remove bearings...I use a slide hammer and this kit for HFreight to do mine...

http://www.harborfreight.com/rear-axle-bearing-puller-set-66380.html

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 11:24 pm

If you get used axles get the ones from the left side. They usually have less wear than the right side. Look for a groove where the seal runs on the axle to determiine if it is excessively worn. If there is a groove, it could cause the axle to break at that point.
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:21 am

Fred, I am looking into the Moser axle form right now. The measurements are intense. I'm surprised they don't already have these axles listed. They have both the 9c1 sedan and the impalla listed. My axles look like they are 31 14/16 inches long. 1.618"
race were the bearing sits. Has any one ordered these axles from Moser?? I like the idea of buy "real" American made!

I don't want to screw up the measurements on these axles. affraid

Thanks
Randy

Last edited by yakko on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:58 pm

I would talk to the people at Moser. They can address your specific needs, and get you the proper part. I am sure they have made axles for the wagons before. The wagon axles are probably not an "in stock" product for them.
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:04 pm

I called Moser and the fellow I talked to says to fill out a form with diamensions.
I am sure they have made them before. They really should have the stock diamensions for these any way. I know people are racing these wagons at the track. Strange I would think the bussiness is worth it. Shocked

Thanks
Randy
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Mosers in a stock axle? $$$$$$!!
why not do as has been advised here and move the bearings in a little,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Hey Fred,
I just got off the phone with Moser and the new axles will be here next week. They are not much more than the Dorman axles.
Made in U.S.A. Whoo Raa!

Randy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 9:52 pm

Any one have an idea why the passenger axle wears more than the driver side?? Right turns maybe Question

Randy
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:39 pm

I think it has something to do with torque on the housing, but I do not know any more than that.
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 2:11 pm

The reason I'm replacing the axles is the damage to the OEMs.

Rear axle bearing tool P4040135
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 2:13 pm

As for the Harbor Frieght tool, I did two pulls with a slide hammer and vwala! junk broke!

Rear axle bearing tool P4040130
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 2:37 pm

So take it back, exchange for another one, finish your project, and return it.

Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 3:11 pm

I can't just take it back! I special ordered it from the online store. They don't stock it around here. I wish they did. Oh well, I used my OTC Siver Slapper and three jaw puller to get the bearings out. It was a real hoot! It was like they were welded in. Hopefully the new axles will come in today or tomorrow.

Thanks
Randy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Hmm... odd. I live close to a HUGE HFT so I've never run into that.

Sucks Sad
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Yea ya win some and ya lose some. I'm just glad they came out. I need to clean up the
inside of the housing where the bearings sit. I have some little nicks from pulling the bearings. I think that I may install a 3.42:1 posi some time in the fall. The 2.56:1 rear is probably bad to tow a 3500lb. boat.

Last edited by yakko on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 6:42 pm

yakko wrote:
The reason I'm replacing the axles is the damage to the OEMs.

Rear axle bearing tool P4040135

That is about as bad as they get without totally failing.
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Wow, Moser axles came and have been installed. Everything fit perfect. The axles were the nicest I've had. I have a 9c1 that I put GM new axles in. The Moser axles ROCK!

Thanks
Randy
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:12 pm

yakko wrote:
Any one have an idea why the passenger axle wears more than the driver side?? Right turns maybe Question

Randy
Well, the right wheel is always in more of a 'state of slip', so-to-speak, because of the lifting torque, especially in wet/slippery weather. It just ends up turning more thousands of times than the left one, plus it gets jerked around more from slipping to traction to slipping, etc.

My guess.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:20 pm

yakko wrote:
As for the Harbor Frieght tool, I did two pulls with a slide hammer and vwala! junk broke!

Rear axle bearing tool P4040130

Eeek!! Shocked

Well, I've had good like with mine....sorry yours broke!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:50 pm

yakko wrote:
I can't just take it back! I special ordered it from the online store. They don't stock it around here. I wish they did. Oh well, I used my OTC Siver Slapper and three jaw puller to get the bearings out. It was a real hoot! It was like they were welded in. Hopefully the new axles will come in today or tomorrow.

Thanks
Randy

Inside 30 days they should take it back at HF. You might have to pay shipping. They have always been pretty good with cuts service.

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Tis why I prefer to buy quality tools. Just don't have the time to mess with returning broken Chinese junk all the time.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 9:23 pm

Harbor Freight puts a lifetime warranty on hand tools. They SHOULD replace if for you.
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:27 am

Just not worth the extra shipping and crap to return them. In the future I will be buying any tools like that local. Shipping and handling are getting rediculous!

Thanks
Randy
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 5:25 pm

yakko wrote:
Wow, Moser axles came and have been installed. Everything fit perfect. The axles were the nicest I've had. I have a 9c1 that I put GM new axles in. The Moser axles ROCK!

Thanks
Randy

You sure have bad luck with axles huh?

Nick
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 11:18 am

Well, I think when your Caprice gets up around 155,000 miles, this is a standard repair job for 1994-1996 models.

Randy
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:03 pm

yakko wrote:
Well, I think when your Caprice gets up around 155,000 miles, this is a standard repair job for 1994-1996 models.

Randy

haha,. i,ve owned a few high milers,.in fact over the years i,ve quite a few b-bodies,. none of them had rear end troubles,.the rear end is basically a 1/2 ton truck unit,.

nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey Randy, FYI you can return your tool to a local HFT if you bring a printout of your order invoice to get a refund (if you haven't shipped it back yet, that is).
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Nick,
You should be called Lucky Man. Ha Ha Ha Ha!

Not just axles Pinion seals too! Here is one that rusted through the metal rim.
nuthin like pics hu!

Rear axle bearing tool Pinionseal

Randy
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Please post the dimensions for the Moser axles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Hold on, is that $260 EACH for STOCK setup?

OEM is $130
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:33 pm

The prices are for a pair. The Moser axles I purchased, were complete, with the studs pressed in. The first set of axles I tried were the Dorman axles from India.
The Moser axles were perfect. I'll look for the sheet I filled out.

Randy
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:37 pm

that's not a bad price for a SET.
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 pm

The wagon axles are more. $344.00 shipped. I had them press in the wheel studs.
Autozone had 300.00 for india axles with you figuring out what size the different sized wheel studs were!!! I took them back in a hurry! I can't deal with such non sense.
With Moser I recieved the axles ready to put in. Every thing fit perfect.
Here is the sheet.

Rear axle bearing tool Moserwagonaxles
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 9:53 pm

my harbor frieght puller has worked great on a couple of rears. they must have been really stuck in there
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 10:19 pm

You are right! I really had to bang them to get them out. My 9C1 bearings came out much easier. The wagon bearings are larger. I was surprised when the tool poped.
They now sell them at the local Harbor freight.

I found that my three jaw puller works.
It is part of my Silver Slapper tool.

Randy
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:31 pm

before i bought the tool, i used a 3/4 gas pipe. i would run it threw the other side of the car and hit it with a big hammer. i still have the original axles that came in my wagon they have 27k on them. i have a rear i got from jy out of a occ 323 posi. its been in car for about 3 years and last year the posi gave up and i had a used one and the bearings from my original rear i replaced the carrier bearings and the pinion bearings and now i am hearing the axle bearing starting to go. if you listen real close you can hear them starting to go. i cant find my original axle bearings. i might get new ones and instal my low milage axles. i have a 9c1 rear that i moved the pearches on but dont think i can get it done for wf so might do the axle bearing to get me to the fest without any problems. sorry if i went on and on
Back to top Go down
Viceroy454

Viceroy454

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 4:33 am

Aside from the foreign manufacture, what was wrong with the Dorman axle?

Edit: (durn it. missed that this was a really old post again)
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 9:43 am

The foreign axles will not take the abuse that the Moser axles will. They are about the same price, and you keep the money in the US economy.
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 2:02 pm

They had different size wheel studs. The axle dimensions were bad. basically they were poorly made!
Back to top Go down
Viceroy454

Viceroy454

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 9:42 pm

Ugh. Forget that. Moser might take longer, but whatever. I'd rather get it right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear axle bearing tool   Rear axle bearing tool Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear axle bearing tool
Page 1 of 1