GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OEM load-leveling system

Go down 
+3
Deadmanonduty
jimbeau
AzDon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
AzDon

AzDon

OEM load-leveling system Empty
PostSubject: OEM load-leveling system   OEM load-leveling system Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 11:31 pm

I've recently discovered that my OCC has the OEM air shocks and compressor system. The shock bladders are blown and I don't think the air supply system is working either.
Are these systems worth trying to repair, or is all this stuff obsolete? There is a rather elaborate looking wiring harness and electric level switch.... I'm thinking it would be cool to restore this stuff and run a pair of air-lift bags and some good non-gas shocks.
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: OEM load-leveling system   OEM load-leveling system Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 1:38 am

When they are working, they are a great idea. When I used to hang my boat trailer on the hitch, I'd start the car & watch the thing re-level itself within a minute or two. Cool as hell.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: OEM load-leveling system   OEM load-leveling system Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 9:35 am

Just get the air lift bags, and a new compressor. Mount the compressor in the rear storage compartment so it stays dry and it will last a long long time. Mine works great.
I have a gauge and a switch to adjust air pressures. No need for the factory switch, but it would be handy!
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: OEM load-leveling system   OEM load-leveling system Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 9:49 am

By comparison, Big-Rig air-ride leveling is much simpler because the leveling switches are actually air valves with links to the axles..... If my wagon had a ready supply of stored air, I probably would convert to a big-truck leveling system.
Another possibility is to use the stock leveling switch to operate a new compressor and release solenoid.
I have the gauges and switches in my dually and find it kind of a PIA to keep the 5lb minimum manually.
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: OEM load-leveling system   OEM load-leveling system Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 8:47 am

I have the Airlift 1000 bags and the kit I originally bought for my GMC Safari. The kit has the gauge, compressor, manual switch, manual air release valve and it came with an automatic switch that adds air if below 5 PSI and lets air out if above 35 PSI. I never have to touch it unless I want to change the ride height. Granted it is not self leveling.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: OEM load-leveling system   OEM load-leveling system Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 11:43 pm

I would say it depends on what you do with the car. If hauling often either payloadvor trailer a self level would be nice. I have three wagons and its broken on all of them. The car with the class three hitch and lt1 I put cargo springs which have more coils than stock, but when empty the rear end is higher than normal giving the car a rake and costing me fuel economy I would guess
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: OEM load-leveling system   OEM load-leveling system Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 1:59 am

Sprocket wrote:
... and costing me fuel economy I would guess
But it looks cool, so it evens out.
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: OEM load-leveling system   OEM load-leveling system Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 10:06 pm

sprocket, did the cargo coils come out of a blue wagon ???
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: OEM load-leveling system   OEM load-leveling system Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 10:58 am

Having a rake does not necessarily decrease gas mileage. The higher rear tends to equalize the pressure under the car from front to rear, and possibly lower the turbulance. The top is still smooth, and will not make an appreciable difference in drag.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OEM load-leveling system   OEM load-leveling system Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OEM load-leveling system
Page 1 of 1