GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wipers are dead...and I need help.

Go down 
+4
jayoldschool
DBeaSSt
convert2diesel
brokecello
8 posters
AuthorMessage
brokecello
brokecello

Wipers are dead...and I need help. Empty
PostSubject: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 8:40 pm

Can anyone help me out here? I am not good at electrical stuff at all....but am willing to learn. This is on my 1991 OCC wagon.

Ok, so the 25amp fuse blew (in the #10 spot). I put another one in..and as soon as I turn the key on..."pop"

So, having an extra wiper motor and switch (stalk) handy....I swapped them out tonight. Put in a new fuse and "pop". The motor and stalk both worked fine in the 96 a few months ago, so I don't see how that motor could be bad.

I am now looking at the FSM I have for it. What (and where) is CKT 93? The FSM does not show a description of this.

I know what and where C216 and C204 are. They are secure.

Should I be able to freely move the wiper arms...or will they be tight unless the motor runs? I don't think I have binding in the linkage. I can't get the arms to move by hand (not trying to break anything though). I should have tried when I had the motor disconnected..but didn't think about it at the time. Suspect

I need wipers Smile Can anyone help?

Chris

Wipers are dead...and I need help. IMG_8451
Wipers are dead...and I need help. IMG_8453
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 9:19 pm

I can say this..if it helps any. If I replace the fuse and have the Auto Climate control off...it takes longer for it to blow. Also, the wipers barley move...then fuse goes. If the ACControl is on...fuse blows as soon as the key is on.

Chris
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 10:38 pm

Chris:

Disconnect the harness from the wiper motor and then turn on to low.

Wipers are dead...and I need help. Wipercircuit

If it blows the fuse then you know its in the wiring. If not then disconnect the wiper control arm from the motor, move it out of the way, then again turn it on. If the motor turns freely, then your problem is in the wipers themselves. Doesn't sound like the motor itself as there is a built in, self re-setting, breaker in the circuit to prevent it from burning up if the wipers are stuck. Sound more like a dead short in the power circuits (low and high).

Hope this helps

Bill
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 11:42 am

Chris can't get to Longroof at work so I'm posting for him.

He unplugged the connectors from the wiper motor, turned off the ECC and all lights. As soon as he turns the ignition on (wipers off) the fuse pops.

From the diagram you posted Bill, doesn't look like there is much on this circuit. I've never seen it happen, but would a bad washer pump cause this?

I'm thinking something in the column has gone bad. This same car also has an inop horn which is known to be an issue in the column.

Any other pointers or time to start tracing the wires?
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 11:57 am

I have to think that the easiest fix for the multiple problems would be a column swap.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 12:43 pm

Probably but that may not be an option right now. Assuming that's where the problem is. That's a lot of work swapping one unless one is sure. The horn issue has been patched for now anyway.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 7:11 pm

I can get the horn buttons to work if I push down on the steering wheel....I did put in a new fuse and pushed down on the wheel (made sure horns worked) and the fuse still blew. But the horn was like that for a looong time I think. Previous owner installed air horns. Wipers were working fine until Mon morn.

And like Mike said, I did unplug the wiper motor harness and fuse still blew.

I will take it to a buddy that has the right tools for testing these things. At least no rain is predicted for a good while down here Smile

If it is the column, I know I can get one at Pull a Part when I'm in Louisville next. They go for about $40 with tilt. Just gotta find the time to pull one.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 10:22 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
Chris can't get to Longroof at work so I'm posting for him.

He unplugged the connectors from the wiper motor, turned off the ECC and all lights. As soon as he turns the ignition on (wipers off) the fuse pops.

From the diagram you posted Bill, doesn't look like there is much on this circuit. I've never seen it happen, but would a bad washer pump cause this?

I'm thinking something in the column has gone bad. This same car also has an inop horn which is known to be an issue in the column.

Any other pointers or time to start tracing the wires?

From what you are saying, then I would look at the main power lead from the fuse to the column. With everything disconnected, then that is the only wire that will have power to it except maybe the wiper park wire. It goes live whenever you turn the wipers off, to activate the park solinoid (see diagram). This is doubtful as the problem also happens with the wipers on, meaning this circuit would be dead.

TracK the power wire back to where it exits the base of the column and cut it somewhere you can splice it back together and try again. That will at least rule out or confirm the column. You shouldn't have to replace the whole column, just remove turn stalk and disconnect the harness there. Tie a string to the connector and pull the harness back down the column. Use string to re-thread the new harness back into the column. Note: the above diagram is for a 94 Caddy. Confirm correct wiring with the correct FSM as the Caddy may be different color code.

Keep us posted.

Bill
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 11:44 pm

^^ Thank you Bill!! I will!!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 8:58 am

Uhm... RainX?
Back to top Go down
bigoldv8

PostSubject: got it...   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 7:58 am

It's fixed. I'll let Chris post details.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 8:24 am

Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_cheers awaiting details....
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 9:46 am

You know, on my way to the Wagonfest 07 Friday tech session, I had no wipers on. I had a fresh coat of rainX on the windshield. I drove through a thunderstorm and never missed the wipers.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 10:01 am

Rain-X is awesome stuff no doubt. I always keep a bottle around. Now in convenient spray too! Very Happy

Unfortunately it only works if you're going about 40 or more. Creeping through town at stop lights, the wipers are still needed.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 11:29 pm

Yeah, I only have surface streets to drive daily...so I need wipers! But Rain-X is good stuff Wink

So, after a lot of testing..unplugging...testing...we found that it was not the wiring in the column. It was the wire that went from the column base connector to the actual wiper motor. It was the green one to be exact. It was grounding out somewhere along the line.

We were on a big time crunch...so we just ran a new wire in a loom for now. I am eager to see where this green wire goes before it heads out through the firewall. I wonder if it goes past the blower motor at all. I know Mike had to pull that and found a little mouse nest. I wonder what else might have been nibbled. ?

It was good fortune that I was going to be near BigOldV8s place Fri night. Man, I wish I had a spot like he has to work in. Sure beats the outdoor carport. LOL!

Chris

Wipers are dead...and I need help. IMG_8454
Wipers are dead...and I need help. IMG_8455
Wipers are dead...and I need help. IMG_8459
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 8:48 am

Good show. Looks like it was the wiper park power. Make sense as this is powered when ever the key is on and the wipers are off. Track down the short as the symptoms indicate that it is shorting against another circuit, so you will probably find that another wire is bad as well courtesy of your mouse.

Glad you found the problem.

Bill
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks Bill! Yes, I will definitely do some digging around once I have some time. Who knows what else that little guy might have nibbled Suspect

The upper radiator hose decided to develop a hole on the trip home last night. So tonight I replaced all the hoses, did a flush and put in a new T-stat. So that is another item to check off the list Smile

I do like this wagon! I hope it settles down so I can get back to work on the '96 Wink

Chris
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:51 pm

The fastest way to find a short is to put a larger fuse in the circut... Then, look for the smoke. There's your short! Wink. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher close.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wipers are dead...and I need help.   Wipers are dead...and I need help. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wipers are dead...and I need help.
Page 1 of 1