GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car? Empty
PostSubject: Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car?   Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 11:21 am

Has anyone gone to the trouble of adding the headliner grab handles to an older wagon? My '96 Roady had them, and my OCC does not. If I find a car with blue interior that has them, is it an easy mod? Cut some holes in the headliner and drill a could screw holes?

Would love to hear if anyone has done this. Thinking hard about some yarding this weekend.

Will also be on the lookout for a fold-down center arm rest storage console. Fingers are crossed!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car?   Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 5:26 pm

81X11 wrote:

Will also be on the lookout for a fold-down center arm rest storage console. Fingers are crossed!

-Mike

My brother's car happens to have a TBI blue one. If Ray ever sends me his red one maybe the blue one can go to TX...... Wink
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car?   Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 6:08 pm

You probably don't have to drill holes. You will probably need the "nuts" that go into the holes and then the screws go into the nuts. I think there is a TBI Roady sedan with a blue interior in the yard with the handles. I added these to one of my Caprice wagons.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car?   Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 6:13 pm

rh96ss wrote:
You probably don't have to drill holes. You will probably need the "nuts" that go into the holes and then the screws go into the nuts. I think there is a TBI Roady sedan with a blue interior in the yard with the handles. I added these to one of my Caprice wagons.

Good to know, thanks

-Mike
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car?   Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Clarification, you won't have to drill holes in the roof but you will have to cut holes in the headliner. I have heard the Roadie/OCC headliners are delicate because the Visa roof. You may want to look into getting a headliner that has the handles/holes recovered.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car?   Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 6:41 pm

rh96ss wrote:
Clarification, you won't have to drill holes in the roof but you will have to cut holes in the headliner. I have heard the Roadie/OCC headliners are delicate because the Visa roof. You may want to look into getting a headliner that has the handles/holes recovered.

Hmm...good tip. Maybe I'll get lucky and fine one that the material has already been replaced on. Stranger things have happened.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car?   Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Mike-

Because I know you will run into this in the near future, my 94 had all 4 grab handles but my 96 didn't have it for drivers position.  I took off the front passengers side and made a paper template for hole location and transferred it to drivers side.  Made my square holes through headliner and installed clips and handle from donor car.  It's that simple.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car?   Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adding headliner grab handles to a TBI car?
Page 1 of 1