GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tow dolley question

Go down 
+3
81X11
DROLDS2U
roadmastercouple
7 posters
AuthorMessage
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

tow dolley question Empty
PostSubject: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:28 am

So I seem to remember seing a post about u haul not renting a dolley because our wagons dont fit does any one kniw what im talking about? The reason i am asking is because im buying a 96 rmw andwillbe traveling for work and will have to tow it behind my work truck thanks in advance
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:31 am

Rent an auto transport. Tell them you're picking up a Cavalier.

Problem solved.

Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:33 am

Auto transport=dolley
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:36 am

No?

Tow dolly:
tow dolley question IMGP0742

Auto transport:
tow dolley question M00000071269027004
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:40 am

Another question my 96 came with a tow package and like a rookie I didnt o even look at the hitch would this be a class three if it's there? I don't see a hitch in the pictures it's a high angle
tow dolley question IMG_20120917_174646
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:43 am

Stingroo wrote:
No?

Tow dolly:
tow dolley question IMGP0742

Auto transport:
tow dolley question M00000071269027004

Okthanks for clearing that up
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:44 am

uhaul has weird rules about renting there towing equiptment, measure a roadmaster, outside tire to outside tire and then measure there tow dollie, if it fits tell them you need it for a toyota , or any small car, if your towing the roadie more than 25 miles, remember to remove the drive shaft from the rear end, tie it to the exhaust or your going to ruin your trans
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:46 am

I tried to go to compnine to find out about hitch but keep getting a blank page did they close down again
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:47 am

roadmaster is to long for there auto transport, you couldnt go over 35-40 mph or it will start swaying, it hangs over the back of the trailer to far, if it even fits at all
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:48 am

Mike there may be a hitch under there but no wagon ever came from the factory as far as I know
with a hitch installed.I am sure dealers installed them for customers but not a factory item.The
tow package consist of the mechanical fan and 1 electric fan plus better gearing along with a
larger oil and transmission coolers!Congrats on the new wagon by the way!
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:49 am

gm didnt put hitches on, the owner did
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:56 am

Really? A member here used a u-haul auto transport to tow a Fleetwood, and that's even longer than a RMW.

Also just as wide.

Bewber had to put donut tires on the front wheels of Pat's Pontiac wagon (Wink) when he picked it up, but it fit on there.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:56 am

Thanks guys. Like I said I don't pic it up till next sat then I'll find outif theres a hitch ill be in the market for oneif not. Got to find some rims and tires then I will be selling the stock aluminum ones with the matching spare.

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 2:34 pm

When I pulled my '88 Iroc from NJ to Texas I had to put temp spares on the front to get it on the tow dolly. I'm pretty sure you'd have to do the same with the Roady, but it should fit. DO NOT forget to yank the driveshaft.

Oh and here is the thread about towing the big Caddy: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t1822-a-little-adventure-road-trip-new-cadirat?highlight=nj+trip
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 2:42 pm

DROLDS2U wrote:
uhaul has weird rules about renting there towing equiptment, measure a roadmaster, outside tire to outside tire and then measure there tow dollie, if it fits tell them you need it for a toyota , or any small car, if your towing the roadie more than 25 miles, remember to remove the drive shaft from the rear end, tie it to the exhaust or your going to ruin your trans

Tying the driveshaft to the exhaust is a accident waiting to happen Doc.Since you are unbolting it at the rear always wrap that u-joint
with tape to keep from losing the little needle bearings inside!Then just slide the driveshaft out of the trans and wrap that end as well
to prevent trans fluid from getting on the carpet.You are going to have to buy a plug somewhere for the rear of the
transmission otherwise fluid is going to leak out going down the road behind you!
IMHO
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Harbor Freight Tools sells the transmission plug.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 6:00 pm

So I'm better off buying a plug and removing the driveshaft. K got it thanks guys
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Why is it, after reading this thread, that I get an overpowering feeling that maybe the best course of action would be to hire a driver or get a friend who owes you a favor to help? Maybe even buy them dinner or something?

Best of luck and safety in whatever you decide to do, but if you're not sure...I'd definitely err on the side of caution!
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Makes sense to me Bill depending on how far away the wagon is!
Back to top Go down
DUKTAPEKID

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 12:17 pm

IF THE COOLING SYSTEM IS OPERATIONAL JUST LET IT IDLE IN NEUTRAL WITH THE REAR WHEELS ON THE GROUND, AS IN ON A DOLLY. iT PUMPS THE FLUID AND KEEPS IT COOL. I've DONE IT FOR 200 MILES, TAKES BARELY NO FUEL, AND no WORK. dON'T FORGET TO TIE THE STEERING WHEEL SO THE FRONTS WON'T TURN AND LOOSEN THE STRAPS ON THE DOLLY. aN OLD SERPENTINE BELT LOOPED AROUND THE STEERING WHEEL, THEN PULL TIGHT OUT BY THE "A" PILLAR AND SLAM THE DOOR ON IT, AND TIE THE END AROUND THE MIRROR SO IT WONT SCRATCH THE PAINT ( CAN'T LOCK THE STEERING WITH THE KEYS TURNED ON), BILLY eXCUSE THE CAPS, DIDN'T NOTICE TIL DONE AND NOT DOING IT TWICE)
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Towing is always an adventure...When getting my wagon I towed it behind a Ram 1500 from Michigan to Alabama I own a tow dolly and have used it many times.

That said your best option is to rent a full auto transport trailer rather than a dolly. Another idea from a cost standpoint you can purchase a dolly on craigslist and sell it after the tow.

Remove the driveshaft completely as advised I didn't use a plug because was unaware it was needed that explains the low fluid level after talking it off the trailer... To remove the shaft and install it takes no more than 15 minutes. I did mine in the front drainage ditch while the wagon was on the dolly and was really easy to get under the car without having to raise it.

Be sure all the tires are in good shape and not old (dolly and wagon) and remember once loaded you can't back it up... park nose out everywhere if you use a trailer this is not an issue. Jeff
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tow dolley question   tow dolley question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tow dolley question
Page 1 of 1