GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steering colum and shifter upgrade?

Go down 
+4
jayoldschool
94Woody
BigBlackBeaSSt
donzikid
8 posters
AuthorMessage
donzikid

donzikid

Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Empty
PostSubject: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 8:09 pm

I picked up all these goodies today from a 96 SS
Looking to install the newer colum and the center console shift in my 94 caprice wagon.
It all is super complete including the 2 original ignition keys.
Which leads to my question, will the car start with the new colum and keys...or will the anti theft portion of the cars computer have to be re-programmed?
Attachments
Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Attachment5I55F75Me3Ka3F93J4c9t10d76fb94b261328.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(38 Kb) Downloaded 42 times
Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Attachment5Le5Gf5M93G93I93N9c9t4624ab022ee916c6.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(42 Kb) Downloaded 34 times
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Dont know for sure, but damn those parts look brand new.Pretty sure the computer needs to be
reprogrammed which isnt hard for anyone else but me.Almost afaid to ask how much they cost
you.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Very nice conversion. Not sure if the VATS will work properly from one car to another, but It is easy to disable the Vats.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 9:16 pm

The Key from the 96 will not start your 94 UNLESS they are the same resistance.

If they are not all you have to do is measure the resistance of your 94 and have a key cut to match the 96 Column using that resistance.

Nice to see someone else doing this swap. I love mine.
Back to top Go down
donzikid

donzikid

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 9:20 pm

I paid $750. including the airbag and everything needed. suposedly some of this stuff is NLA
from the dealer...like the cables and clips and little bracket....ect.
The stuff all looks like NEW! Including the steering wheel. Its all there too, the cables and end clips. The Consol shifter bracket was painstakingly removed from the donar car.
It should be a factory type install when finished. I would like the Vats system to work.
What is involved in the programming, if it needs it?
Back to top Go down
donzikid

donzikid

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks 94 woody, there is a local Hardware store that has and cuts the blanks, and has the little devive to measure the resistance in the keys.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Just put your original lock cylinder in the new column. No cost.
Back to top Go down
donzikid

donzikid

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Cool,
how do I remove it?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 8:41 am

You just keep digging in the column until you get to it. You have to remove (unscrew, and pull aside) the turn signal switch. The screw that holds the cylinder is behind it. There may be a separate screw that holds the contact for the VATS as well. Be careful that you do not break anything.

By swapping the cylinder, you keep your original key, and if you should ever lose it, you can get a replacement from the dealer with your VIN.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 am

There's a few vids on youtube of how to replace a GM lock cylinder. You need a $10 tool from the parts store to get it done.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Believe me. It is MUCH simpler to have a new key cut. I did that swap the cylinder BS and it didn't take a week for the wires to break and leave me stranded. Why tear it all down if you do not have to? The key blanks are available online for less than 5 bucks. A pack of resistors to bypass the system is even cheaper.

No programming will ever be needed unless you want to completely remove the system.
Back to top Go down
donzikid

donzikid

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks guys, my local store only charges 19.95 to cut a key with the correct chip..
think I will go that route and not risk braeking any internals in the colum.
Edit: typing at the same time 94Woody!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 8:07 pm

I have a picture that shows how to wire the reverse light switch. I can post it if you need it.
Back to top Go down
donzikid

donzikid

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 8:12 pm

94Woody wrote:
I have a picture that shows how to wire the reverse light switch. I can post it if you need it.
Yes, please post it.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 9:17 am

The VATS will fail eventually and you'll be sitting there waiting for 5 minutes for another shot to get her started. I did the resistor fix under the dash for a dollar (price of resistors at radio shack) and it took 15 minutes. I also did it on my Mom's 96 Camaro. Both have been trouble free for over 2 years.

It'll happen once, and then start increasing in frequency until like me, you have to try it 7 or 8 times (35-40 minutes) before it catches. At that point I was over it and did the fix. The wires are at the base of the column, so it'll be super easy to do when you swap the colums. Many threads on ISSF with photos.

If someone wants to steal your car they aren't going to use a key anyway so it doesn't really matter....that's my thought on it anyway.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:42 pm

donzikid wrote:
94Woody wrote:
Yes, please post it.

Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Theft_det_shifterwiring
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 2:56 pm

Nice parts and i understand now why you have to "reprogram" the computer. Any chance a swap like this is possible with a 93 wagon? (not equipped with VATS)
Pete
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 4:06 pm

You can swap a later model into a TBI car. If you get a Fleetwood column, you get "flash to pass". I believe you can put the switch from the FW on the older column, and achieve the same result.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Installing these factory parts does not require a reprogramming of ANY kind.

The parts can be installed into a TBI car with no problems at all. The only difference between the two cars is VATS, which isn't needed on the earlier models so you wouldn't plug in the ignition cylinder wires.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Thnx guys, all to do now is finding a wrecked Imp...
Pete
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 2:53 pm

A blazer is so much easier to find..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 8:44 pm

There is a setup for sale on ISSF.

The Blazer setup is easier to find. I got lucky when I found my Imp setup and got it for way less than most people want for just the Console.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering colum and shifter upgrade?   Steering colum and shifter upgrade? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering colum and shifter upgrade?
Page 1 of 1