GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car

Go down 
+5
BigBlackBeaSSt
Sprocket
brokecello
Olds Weighty Eight
Big Muscle
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Muscle

BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Empty
PostSubject: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Hey Guys -

My name is Mike Musto and I'm an automotive journalist and host of an online muscle car show called BIG MUSCLE on Youtube's DRIVE Network. One of our emails came from a gentlemen who informed me about this forum and told me about a Caprice Wagon with an LS swap that we're going to try and eventually feature on our show. What I thought you all may find interesting is that we actually use a Caprice Wagon as our film vehicle.

The Caprice is a 1992 in spectacular original condition that was purchased earlier this year for the paltry sum of $2,000. It's got the L05 5.7 and aside from being fairly underpowered, it's been absolutely gem of a car. Mileage when purchased was 58,000 original and it now has just under 64k in under 5 months. Thus far only basic maintenance has been done. Oil and transmission fluid change, front brake pads, tires and new shocks all around. Otherwise, everything down to the plug wire are original (I think).

We use this wagon to haul around our film crew and equipment, as a chase vehicle and as a car to car camera rig. When filming it's not uncommon for us to run 1000 miles in a few days.

So, with that being said. I do have a few questions.

- Right now I'd like to give the old Chevy a nice tune up and am looking for recommendations on wire, a good cap and as well as any other items that you'd recommend for a '92 5.7-liter.

- I am also looking to get a bit more power out of this thing, but don't really feel like putting a lot money into it. So, any recommendations for some bolt-on's that have made a difference for other owners.

Otherwise, attached are a few pics and I'm looking forward to hanging out. Here a link that one of our guys wrote up on the Caprice that you may get a laugh out of.

Cheers -
Mike
Attachments
BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car AttachmentIMAG0594.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(128 Kb) Downloaded 51 times
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Hey Mike and welcome to the group.Dont know how much interstate/long distance the wagon does but a gear swap will give the best possible bang for your buck.I am planning on a 3.73 swap here shortly and this is what I found out from those MUCH more knowledgeable than I am.Easyiest and cheapest mod to do and has no effect on your reliability and does little to your mileage!We have a member who just completed a LS 7 swap with a T 56 and a complete suspension package and his work is something to behold.Because he lives in canada he is afraid of losing the wagon if you are ticketed while doing your shoots for the show.I almost always see policeman parked along the side of the road during your vids so I have to assume you have permission and the roads are closed during filming.This wagon is truly remarkable.
Welcome Again
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Forgot to tell you,I watch out for your show every week.Totally different and always a unusual
car each week.Do me a favor a punch that obnoxious Alex Roy next time you see him.Now get
more wagons on your show!
THANKS
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 10:14 am

Welcome to the forum. I just replaced my '92 L05 plug wires with these AC Delco wires from RockAuto. $40, shipped. Very high quality with exact lengths and fit as some of the plug ends are straight while others are 90°. (Your wires are just broken in though as I put 250,000 on my originals. Razz ) I also run AC Delco plugs and my cap and rotor are quality aftermarket parts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 10:53 am

Welcome! Nice wagon!! So your film guys sit in the tailgunner seat with the glass up?

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 11:28 am

Nice wagon and welcome to forum. What part of Florida are you in (the photo of the car gives you away, lol)?

Is it a tow pack car? Run your VIN thought compline and find out. Base gears are 2.73, tow packs are 3.23 and a ill peppier esp with the L05 you have. There are a couple threads on here on how to ez build up the TBI motors on the cheap.

Back to top Go down
Big Muscle

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys. Flasheroo - thanks for the compliments on the show. As for my camera guys - yep, my camera guy sits in the rear seat with a tripod mounted, the tailgate and rear window open. The soggy suspension soaks up everything and it actually works outstanding for a film vehicle. Also, actually not on FL, but CA.

I'll run the VIN to see what gears I have. Upgrading to a set of 3.23's or 3.55s may definitely be in the cards very soon.

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Mike,

Glad to see you made it over to the forum. The car Jim speaks of is Gerry's car, the one you are hopefully going to look at. BTW if you want to preserve the ABS I am not sure you can get a reluctor for the 3.55 pinion. You can however get one for the 3.73 gear sets and the crew will thank you for it!!!!

Tim
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 2:55 pm

That's a pretty clean wagon and love the way you're using it! Smile

In addition to the AC DELCO cap and rotor and wires mentioned above, I've throw a set of Bosch Platinum plugs and a fuel filter at it, too.

As far as quick and easy performance mods, exhaust work will really help. Get a Y-pipe from a TBI 9C1 and then a universal high flow cat, and then a 2.5" exhaust with a muffler of your choice, probably a few hundred bucks at a local exhaust shop, and that will really wake it up! Couple that with a junkyard cold air intake with the TBI elbow off an old FWD 4.9l Caddy (grab the bent bolt out of the TB while you'rw there), some 3" PVC pipe and a good cone filter, and you have a nice intake for about 30 bucks, too.

Good luck with the new ride! Smile
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 6:02 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
exhaust work will really help. Get a Y-pipe from a TBI 9C1 and then a universal high flow cat, and then a 2.5" exhaust with a muffler of your choice, probably a few hundred bucks at a local exhaust shop, and that will really wake it up!

I wonder what the sound guy will think of it though...

Welcome to the forum, Mike. I agree with the rear end gearing suggestions. I had the 92 tow-pack, and while it wasn't ever going to take home prizes at the track, it would happily tow a 25' house trailer all day long.

The 94-96 wagons with the LT1 have a lot more bolt-on performance options available, so if you really need more out of the engine, you might want to keep your eyes peeled for one of those. However, in many ways, the 91-93 were better built cars.
Back to top Go down
Big Muscle

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Sound is actually a big issue for us, especially since we film out the back. One of the reasons the Wagon works so well is because it's whisper quiet. However 180 hp in a vehicle that's 4,000 lbs and loaded with gear can be tough. Especially when your playing chase car to cars with 700 + hp. Believe it or not but we're actually thinking of adding a 75 shot so we can run a bit more briskly for short bursts.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:34 am

Well then maybe the LT1 is a better platform for you:

Fully dressed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMIb2CvK6e0

Closer to stock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yehnNDYgBFE
Back to top Go down
Big Muscle

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 10:15 am

An LT1 is definitely a better platform, however I don't want to do an engine swap - too much time and money.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Keep this wagon,leave the exhaust quiet,3.73 gears and a 100 shot of nitrous whenever needed!
Whenever you do the fast driving and burnouts the cops are there to keep things safe?Gerry will not do anytrhing that may cost him his wagon,none of us will.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Or trade up for a LT1 wagon... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 am

Hello there, and welcome to the forum. Nice to hear of a wagon still doing an important job. It looks really good in the picture.

I'd say that a tuneup might well be in order. As a frame of reference, my '93 wagon has 2.73 rear end gears paired up with a bone stock L05 350 V8, and if I'm missing something in the performance department...well, I sure don't know it! Then again, I don't run around with a whole film crew in my car!

If you intended to include a link to that story in your posting, I don't think it translated over. I think there is a rule in place on this forum that you have to be a member for more than a certain period of time before you can post a link.
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 3:31 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Or trade up for a LT1 wagon... Very Happy

That was kind of what I was thinking too.

My 95 LT1 towpack wagon is pretty much stock. Factory engine without modifications. The tranny was rebuilt with some stronger bits but no fancy hi-stall torque converter or anything. Exhaust is Walker "quiet flow" -- comparable to the original. I've never had it on the track and doubt I ever will.

But just for fun, this afternoon on an empty level stretch of highway, I tried it out on a measured 400 meter stretch with a handheld stopwatch. The temperature was just below freezing, the road was damp, and I had to feather the throttle a bit until the studded snow tires got a good grip -- so less than ideal conditions or exact metrology. That said, it did the 1/4 in 16.21 seconds hauling a new front door and some other sundry building supplies, topping out around an indicated 85mph.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Would love to see you do that run at night just for the sparks coming off those studded snow
tires!
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Laughing

Yeah, it would lend a whole new dimension to "lighting up the tires"...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 8:50 pm

My nephew has that dynolicious app on his smart phone so we tryed it out with my 95 RMW.First
time was just a lot of smoke with a 15.8 and a 87 mph trap speed.Second time was a much better
launch with a 15.1 at 93 mph.This was right after I got it and next time he's up here,I want to try
the 91 OCC.Figure anything under 17 seconds will be epic!
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 10:29 pm

I would say that the 15.1 at 93 mph run was a bit optimistic. I have had mine at the track twice so far and the best run was with temps around 40 and ran 15.24 @ just under 90 (89.94). The second time I went the temps were in the mid 60's and the best I could do was 15.50 @ just under 89.

My car is completely stock except for 2 1/2" exhaust with X pipe. The 1st time I went it was all original except the exhaust (88k), the second time was after a full tuneup (elec water pump, plugs, wires, opti and o2's) .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 am

[quote="Ancient_1"]I would say that the 15.1 at 93 mph run was a bit optimistic. I have had mine at the track twice so far and the best run was with temps around 40 and ran 15.24 @ just under 90 (89.94). The second time I went the temps were in the mid 60's and the best I could do was 15.50 @ just under 89

Probably right about the time but I was just goofing around anyway and really didnt want to break something.At the time I hadnt been underneath it yet and didnt know what kind of shape it was in.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car   BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BIG MUSCLE Battle Wagon: '92 Caprice Wagon as Film Car
Page 1 of 1