GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel pumps

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Fuel pumps Empty
PostSubject: Fuel pumps   Fuel pumps Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 8:39 pm

Has anyone run an LT1 pump in a TBI car? What would the ramification be?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Fuel pumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pumps   Fuel pumps Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 9:20 pm

About 35lbs too much pressure.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Fuel pumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pumps   Fuel pumps Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Shouldn't the regulator take care of that?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Fuel pumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pumps   Fuel pumps Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 9:01 am

Fred, the only new fuel pump I've put in was the one Dr Olds picked up for me when I was stranded in Ocala. And that pump only had 60K on it.

The other pumps I used were used units, some of unknown mileage in Grimace (put 20K+ on it before selling car to Roo), Radio Flyer (120K pump put 15K on it before selling car). LT1 in Dusty (came out of scrapped cop car, unknown mileage - 50K on it to date).

Yeah it's a dice roll, but I've been winning on it for about $20 a pop....Food for thought.
It'd rather go get a used Delco Unit from the yard then a Chinese replacement.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Fuel pumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pumps   Fuel pumps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 2:24 am

I got the engine and trans installed, and running. FP is a little low for the upgraded engine, but it runs good so far. I would like to have about another 3-4 psi. I have the adjustable FP regulator cranked all the way up. It has wrapped headers, 2 1/4 dual pipes, Flowmasters, larger TBI, bored out intake, and LT1 cam. It idles nice, and sound good. I have not applied the lead foot to it yet. No engine codes so far.

Do the 9C1 fuel pumps put out any more than the standard pumps, or are they the same?

For those who contemplate installing headers, and duals on a TBI car, the transmission linkage shaft that turns the shifter in the trans can be swapped with an LT1 linkage piece to give you more clearance for the pipe. The TBI part is relatively straight, and the LT1 part has a "hump" in it to clear the duals on the LT1 when shifting to lower ranges.

I made a couple of errors while doing the install. Crushed the alternator plug, and wired the replacement backwards...replaced damaged alternator, and corrected the plug. It charges the battery now. I also had to have a O2 bung welded to the exhaust pipe, because the one on the header interfered with my brake lines. The headers also required me to reposition the oil pressure sender with a couple of plumbing parts, to miss the header.

I got a replacement dipstick/tube, and had to make another dipstick from an OEM unit. The tube bends twice at 90 degrees apart, and I had to twist the dipstick into a corkscrew to make it flex in more than one direction. This required me to cut about 3 inches off of the OEM dipstick, and mark the level on the modified dipstick. It works good, and still has the OEM top.

I spent a lot of time chasing parts in comparason to the amount of time working on the car itself. Sometimes, it seemed like I did 15 minutes of work, and spent the rest of the day chasing parts.
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

Fuel pumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pumps   Fuel pumps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 3:13 pm

In order to get an increase in pressure the regulator will need to be capable of allowing the pressure increase. By what you have said already, the regulator is maxed out. My thinking would tell me that installing an LT1 fuel pump would net the same pressure that you currently have. If you deadhead a TBI fuel pump, the pressure would exceed 50+ psi, not sure if the TBI pumps are internally regulated or not, for excessive pressure. Pinch off the return line temporarily to find deadhead pressure, not too long though or you'll blow off the line at the fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuel pumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pumps   Fuel pumps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel pumps
Page 1 of 1