GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rusted through floor pan in several areas. help.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bud89GT

rusted through floor pan in several areas. help. Empty
PostSubject: rusted through floor pan in several areas. help.   rusted through floor pan in several areas. help. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 10:29 am

Took the boy's '94 RMS for a safety inspection with my mechanic.  It passed for everything except rusted through floor boards in the drivers well area.

Any DIY stuff out there on this?  Did a bunch of searching found nothing.

Looking to pull driver's seat and carpet, clean it up of rust/scale and sheet metal patch the holes with rivets and liquid nails.  Will seal everything with undercoating.

If anyone else has experience in this area, your input would be appreciated.

I will keep log on this thread of my son and I's progress for others in the future to reference.

Cheers,

Bud
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: rusted through floor pan in several areas. help.   rusted through floor pan in several areas. help. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Many different ways to fix holes,.
you'll know better after you remove the seats and front carpet,.

I use fibreglass resin ,. sometimes random cut fibreglass mat as a filler and sometimes just cardboard,.
once the cardboard is soaked in resin,. it'll harden up nicely,. waterproof.

I,also use the hvac aluminum tape, to make a base,. 

Nick
Back to top Go down
Bud89GT

PostSubject: Re: rusted through floor pan in several areas. help.   rusted through floor pan in several areas. help. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks for your input Nick.  Good to know, since I have all kinds of fibreglass stuff around from my boat project.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: rusted through floor pan in several areas. help.   rusted through floor pan in several areas. help. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 5:47 pm

fiberglass or random pieces of sheet metal. i've used old washers and dryers cut up. all ready painted on one side, then use self tapping screws or rivets to hold the patch in place, and use calking, crack sealer etc to make a "gasket" around your new patch. 

theres tonnes of differnt techniques, you just gotta look https://www.google.ca/search?q=automotive+floor+path&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=dId&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=automotive+floor+patch&oq=automotive+floor+patch&gs_l=serp.3...1659.1659.0.1745.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c.1.17.psy-ab.OSVD-HTz5nI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47883778,d.dmQ&fp=a058f22e0e1fea0f&biw=1366&bih=664
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: rusted through floor pan in several areas. help.   rusted through floor pan in several areas. help. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 7:18 pm

I'll echo what others said, all good suggestions.

When I patched my wheel well. I used 22 gauge sheetmetal with some self tappers then top coated inside and out with tigerhair and then a coat of primer plus some SEM Rust Shield.
Back to top Go down
Bud89GT

PostSubject: Re: rusted through floor pan in several areas. help.   rusted through floor pan in several areas. help. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 8:10 am

Thanks Benn and Cadet57, great info and advice!  The boy works all day today, so we'll be tackling this job first thing Sunday morning.  Will take and post pics of our "progress".

Cheers,

Bud
Back to top Go down
Bud89GT

PostSubject: Re: rusted through floor pan in several areas. help.   rusted through floor pan in several areas. help. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 10:19 pm

so, here's what we got so far. Pulled carpet back, and after initial shock, cleaned/prepped for rust treatment.  Grabbed some 28 GA sheets from Home Depot as well as Silicon caulk and #10 1/2" self tapping screws.
Attachments
rusted through floor pan in several areas. help. Attachmentrepair4_resized.jpg
hole cleaned up.
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(39 Kb) Downloaded 22 times
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rusted through floor pan in several areas. help.   rusted through floor pan in several areas. help. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rusted through floor pan in several areas. help.
Page 1 of 1