GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Overcharging problem

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mtennant

mtennant

Overcharging problem Empty
PostSubject: Overcharging problem   Overcharging problem Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 5:00 pm

I've got another thread going regarding an ABS relay I'm looking for.  I might have found a new one here:

http://www.finditparts.com/t/176/manufacturer/bosch/products/3671471/bosch-0332512007

My trusted mechanic is telling me that the ABS relay is somehow related to an overcharging problem that started this whole issue. I have a 1991 Olds Custom Cruiser.

I was driving 60 miles away the other day and I noticed that the voltage gauge was in the red, going all the way to the top.

Then the AMP light came on.

When I'd come to a stop, the voltage gauge would settle down and the AMP light would go out.

I had to keep driving to meet an appointment.  When I came back to the car and started it up after 3 hours, the voltage was still high, but not in the red.  The AMP light did not come on.

The next day, it started ok.  Three hours later, it wouldn't crank.

My mechanic said the battery exploded and had acid all over the place.  He replaced the battery and the alternator, but then the ABS light started coming on.

He zeroed in on the ABS relay, saying that it somehow controlled the charging circuit too.  Without the relay in place, which he thinks is defective, the system hits 18 volts charging, which cannot continue of course.

Very strange, since the ABS relay is found in the back left side of the vehicle opposite the wheel well on the right.

He isn't sure if there is a fusable link involved, but is checking.

Anyone got any experience with such craziness?

How can an ABS relay cause such behavior?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by mtennant on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Overcharging problem   Overcharging problem Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 5:38 pm

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but my first thought was Auxiliary Battery Post. Not sure what year your wagon is, they were a problem in 94 and 95. I believe they came with a zinc post and had to be changed to brass. When there are multiple electrical problems, that's one place to look.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
mtennant

mtennant

PostSubject: Re: Overcharging problem   Overcharging problem Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Don't have an Aux Battery Post on my animal. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Overcharging problem   Overcharging problem Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 3:07 am

abs relay controlling the charging circuit??

Time for a new mechanic,. and a new alternator,.
Back to top Go down
mtennant

mtennant

PostSubject: Re: Overcharging problem   Overcharging problem Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 1:09 pm

He found a bad connection to a fusable link. Problem solved and old relay working.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overcharging problem   Overcharging problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overcharging problem
Page 1 of 1