GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The final leak fix

Go down 
+2
81X11
Fred Kiehl
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 11:47 pm

I finally found the source of my persistent passenger's side leak. I pulled the dash, and searched, I could not find the source, so I removed the wheelhouse...lo and behold, the grommet for the antenna cable was missing. I found it pushed further in on the cable. There was a 1/2 inch hole in the firewall just below the drain for the cowl. I pulled the grommet back through, and glued it with some silicone RTV. It rained a couple of hours later, and no water on the floor. Now to reinstall the dash...
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 9:15 am

Good deal! I bet that's common.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 9:44 am

Just one more of those obscure items that can cause water issues. It was an easy fix, but a difficult find.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 11:20 am

I jumped the gun a little. It rained hard yesterday, and I again have water coming in. I still do not know where it is coming from. I am going to have to pull the wheelhouse again, and start at the bottom with a hose. I will find the leak, and fix it.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Just by looking at the pics of your car,. and the rake,.
and knowing how much water can migrate,.
perhaps the leak is further back,.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 1:37 pm

I sprayed water at the front right corner of the front windshield, and it comes in the same place as the rain water. I sprayed it in the cowl opening and none came in. I also sprayed it on the top of the door at the seal, and none came in. I have the access narrowed down, but the exact point where it is entering has been allusive.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 10:36 pm

I put sealant on every seam and grommet on the right side of the firewall and A pillar up to the top of the cowl drain channel...still leaked. I took the cowl cover off, and looked at everything above my sealing job. I found a small 1/16 inch hole on the end of the top shelf of the cowl, that looks like it does not connect with the inside...but it does. I put a dab of sealant on it, and ran water on the same area that resulted in leakage for about an hour. No water inside the car. At this point I am confidant that I found the leak, and reassembled the car.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:38 pm

The leak is back. I am a little frustrated. It is not as bad as it was, but it is there. I am going to seal every seam I can find. I am REALLY tired of this leak.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Any cracks in the evaporator case seal?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 9:18 pm

I have sealed the evap case with silicone. The leak is coming from the top of the car at the corner of the A pillar and the firewall.
Back to top Go down
theamcguy

theamcguy

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 5:51 pm

Could there be a rust hole behind the windshield. If a bottom corner had a rust hole covered by the windshield it would leak but you would not see it until the windshield was removed.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 5:56 pm

theamcguy wrote:
Could there be a rust hole behind the windshield.  If a bottom corner had a rust hole covered by the windshield it would leak but you would not see it until the windshield was removed.  
Bill may be on to something. I had a car, bought used, which had a leak. Turns out the windshield was replaced and it wasn't set correctly. I had it reset, end of problem.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 6:18 pm

The windshield was reset about a year ago, and I helped set it. It was done properly, and is sealed to the best of my knowledge. I am considering using a smoke pot (http://store.metermall.com/regin-smoke-emitters-p53.aspx) with the AC on to push smoke out of any leak (I may find other leaks). I will be locating the unit in the front corner with the carpet and insulation pulled back.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Fred,
You can also spray the suspect area (outside the car) with soap solution and use a compressed air blow-off nozzle to blow air at the area from inside the car.
Bubbles = leaks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 8:56 pm

I can not get to the area. I already tried that route. This is an extremely elusive leak.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The final leak fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final leak fix   The final leak fix Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The final leak fix
Page 1 of 1