GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First shift in the morning.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimster1

First shift in the morning. Empty
PostSubject: First shift in the morning.   First shift in the morning. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 4:36 am

My '96 Estate Wagon shifts really hard going into gear with the first shift in the morning after a cold start. It doesn't matter if I engage "D" or "R", there is a short pause, then it slams into engagement. After the first shift of the day, everything is normal. I kinda suspect that the torque converter is leaking down and then refilling with a bang. When checked hot, the fluid level is normal. Maybe I should check the fluid when the car is dead cold, If it's really high that could be a clue. Any suggestions as to the cause, and better yet, a cure.
Jim
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: First shift in the morning.   First shift in the morning. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 7:52 am

A torque converter drainback valve failure feels like a soft engagement, not a harsh one. As the torque converter refills, it feels like a third gear start, and then everything gradually returns to normal over about 10 seconds.

I would check the forward accumulator and the forward abuse valve, which may be somehow getting stuck open and then it releases once things get going. I just recently drove a 4L60E with a very harsh forward and reverse engagement and my guess is the forward and reverse abuse valves were stuck open. The trans was filthy inside, so step number one was cleaning out the pan and then flushing the fluid.

Have you flushed the fluid and cleaned out the pan in the trans?
Back to top Go down
Jimster1

PostSubject: Re: First shift in the morning.   First shift in the morning. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 1:45 pm

No I haven't, but sometime next week It'll happen.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: First shift in the morning.   First shift in the morning. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 3:03 pm

perhaps its just idling high when its cold,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First shift in the morning.   First shift in the morning. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First shift in the morning.
Page 1 of 1