GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear Shocks top bolts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nick in PA

Rear Shocks top bolts Empty
PostSubject: Rear Shocks top bolts   Rear Shocks top bolts Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 11:05 pm

Question for those that replaced the rear wagon shocks on a 1992. I live in the rustbelt here in PA so needless to say the bolts at the top of the shocks are a rusted mess and being where they are,barley visible. Im going to buy the KYB-Gas Adjust shocks some have mentioned here but thy dont seem to come with the upper bolts, just the nuts. Do the upper mounts use replaceable bolts or do the nust go on a fixed stud? I cant see any easy way to do this but it is time. Assuming I can get something up there, I can only imagine they will either strip or snap.
Thanks,
Nick in PA
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shocks top bolts   Rear Shocks top bolts Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 3:56 am

On ISSF Navy Lifer used to make a stainless "U" bolt to ease the replacement of the shocks. You could make the U bolt yourself, by rebending a conventional one in a vice. Measure the top of the shock, and get a conventional one with the same thread as the supplied nuts, then make it fit.

If you have trouble getting the nuts off, try "Freezeoff" on them. Getting a wrench on the top of the shocks to remove the bolts will be the most difficult part.

All that said, I would take it to a shop and let them fight with it.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shocks top bolts   Rear Shocks top bolts Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 am

They are not studs but a regular nut/bolt combo. The bolts are very small and will likely break in half once you put pressure on them. You will have to get new nuts/bolts.

This is a much simpler job than it looks and the internet makes it seem impossible. A wrench on the back side and a socket/extension on the other. it is a tight fit that will be tougher for those with big hands.
Back to top Go down
Nick in PA

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shocks top bolts   Rear Shocks top bolts Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 4:17 pm

Thanks Gentlemen. I appreciate the advise.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shocks top bolts   Rear Shocks top bolts Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 3:19 pm

Just went through this for way too manyith time.

Easy solution, once you get the old ones out. I don't like the U bolts because they don't bottom solidly.

Get a piece of 3/4 X 3/16 or 1/4" steel bar.

Drill 2 holes in it spaced the same as the holes in the existing mount, clearance for 5/16" OD bolt.

Make spacer, or do like I did and stack up some 1/2" nuts on a bolt long enough to come through the bar, nuts, and frame mount plus a nylok nut.

Weld the bolt head to the bar, put on the nuts and weld to the bar and each other.

Drop in from the top of mount

Put on shock, flat washer and nylok nut

Took about 30 minutes to make and put in.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shocks top bolts   Rear Shocks top bolts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Shocks top bolts
Page 1 of 1