GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil Level Sensor

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Don in MO

Don in MO

Oil Level Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Oil Level Sensor   Oil Level Sensor Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 10:06 am

I replaced the oil level sensor yesterday because the light comes on and check engine light comes on when I push the gas petal to the floor. Was told the sensor was bad, why I replaced it.

Of course I completed the oil, filter change & sensor but does it again. Oil pump bad? Pick up tube?

Major repair or minor even if dropping the oil pan?

Don
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Oil Level Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Level Sensor   Oil Level Sensor Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 10:23 am

Two different setups and two different warnings.

Low oil level has nothing to do with the Oil Pump/Pickup. That would be Oil Pressure.

My low oil light never worked correctly because the 2 decade old wiring has a problem some place and I'm too lazy to look. Pulled the bulb and never worried about it again.

That said, it shouldn't cause a "Check Engine Light". Do you know what the code is that is setting off the light?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Oil Level Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Level Sensor   Oil Level Sensor Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 11:00 am

The connector for the oil level sender probably has loose pin connections. Mine is intermittent. Try wiggling the connector to see if that has an affect. You can pull the pins out of the connector, and re-crimp them.
Back to top Go down
Don in MO

Don in MO

Oil Level Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Level Sensor   Oil Level Sensor Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 12:07 pm

Fred let me clarify.

When I floor the gas pedal the low oil level light comes on, the car decelerates(safe mode?) because it detected low oil level, the low oil level light goes off and the check engine light comes on. I can shut off the car and when it restarts the check engine light is off.

The low oil level is sending a code so the check engine light comes on? If the low oil level is not turning on the CEL I would think it would stay on even after restarting the car.

When replacing the oil level sensor I did break off a wire. So I purchased a new pigtail and wired that in. There should not be a bad connection, At the butt connectors or the connector itself.

So I’m back to what would cause the low oil level under extreme acceleration? Unless I’m confusing the cause & effect?
Back to top Go down
booster

Oil Level Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Level Sensor   Oil Level Sensor Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 1:56 pm

If the sensor didn't fix a low level light on acceleration, then you may be getting a wire tug under heavy load as the drivetrain rolls over from torque. Check to see if you have snug wires by pulling on the harnesses and also check to see if you have failed motor mounts which make it all much worse.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Oil Level Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Level Sensor   Oil Level Sensor Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 5:25 pm

The low oil level sensor/light does not affect the CEL. You probably have another issue related to the oil, but the level sensor is not the cause of the CEL.
Back to top Go down
Don in MO

Don in MO

Oil Level Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Level Sensor   Oil Level Sensor Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 11:02 pm

How would the low oil level sensor not activate the PCM to activate the CEL? The coolant level sensor activates the CEL?

Help me understand why every sensor is tied to the PCM if not to activate the CEL?

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Oil Level Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Level Sensor   Oil Level Sensor Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 8:32 am

The temp sensor for the gauge does not go through the computer, it is a separate circuit for the gauge only. Get your FSM out and check the wiring diagram for the routing of the low oil level circuit.

Don in MO likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Oil Level Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Level Sensor   Oil Level Sensor Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 1:10 pm

Can guarantee 100% that the low oil sensor doesn’t turn on the CEL because the entire time mine was illuminated the CEL never came on. Doesn’t come on when my coolant is low and the low coolant light is on either. Both of them are a warning light so the CEL is not necessary.

You still haven’t said what the DTC that is illuminating the CEL is. They only stay on while there is a problem. Once you shut the engine off and restart it the problem is gone do the light goes out.

Sounds to me like you have an oil pan issue and when you accelerate hard enough the oil is thrown to the back of the pan. That takes oil away from the pick up tube which starves the oil pump. The engine sees the loss of oil pressure and turns on the CEL.

Fred Kiehl likes this post

Back to top Go down
booster

Oil Level Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Level Sensor   Oil Level Sensor Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 1:38 pm

The oil level, coolant level, washer fluid level are no different than the low fuel light that comes on. Just indicators so aren't taken as anything wrong except maintenance needed.

The CEL will have several types of codes where some will light and go off and be gone if the fault doesn't show up again. Others auto reset on restart, some won't and are the serious one's you have to reset with a scanner or tuner.

Lots of information on the subject on the internet, most of it pretty useful, and even the owner's manual usually goes into some of it.

Fred Kiehl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil Level Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Level Sensor   Oil Level Sensor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil Level Sensor
Page 1 of 1