GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel pump problem?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Don in MO

Don in MO

Fuel pump problem? Empty
PostSubject: Fuel pump problem?   Fuel pump problem? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 20, 2023 10:58 pm

I have a 95 BRW that was running fine when I parked it a month ago but it didn’t start this past weekend. Put 5 gallons in it and it started right up. Drove it to the gas station to fill it up & fill my gas can(lawn mower etc).

Is the hose split on the fuel pump? Something else?

Only thing that changed was putting more gas in it, was around half a tank.

Don
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

Fuel pump problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump problem?   Fuel pump problem? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 20, 2023 11:29 pm

Hose didn't split else it wouldn't have started.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Fuel pump problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump problem?   Fuel pump problem? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2023 8:01 am

[quote="Fix Until Broke"]Hose didn't split else it wouldn't have started.[/quot]
The car can still start even with a split hose. It will have poor performance and wandering idle. BTDTHTS.
In this case it would suggest a bad fuel pump, but there is a bit of trouble shooting to do. Listen for the fuel pump to run when you turn the key to the run position. If it is silent you still must check for circuit continuity, and the relay operation. Put a gauge on the fuel rail to check for pressure. You may need a helper to check the gauge.

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Don in MO

Don in MO

Fuel pump problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump problem?   Fuel pump problem? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2023 8:18 am

I get that this is not the most sensible diagnosis but just don’t want to get stranded somewhere else besides home. The pump should still be under warranty is another reason to get it looked at now rather than later.

So Fred, the mechanic should be able to check the fuel pressure and see that it’s not normal?
Back to top Go down
booster

Fuel pump problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump problem?   Fuel pump problem? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2023 8:33 am

How much gas did it take to fill the tank? If not much, the sender/gauge could be reading wrong.

Could you hear the pump run on at the key on, not to start, priming cycle when went to start it?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Fuel pump problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump problem?   Fuel pump problem? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2023 10:44 am

You can get an adapter for the Schrader valve and permanently install a gauge on the car, no mechanic
needed.
Check the ground for the pump and level sender. They are the same wire.
Back to top Go down
Don in MO

Don in MO

Fuel pump problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump problem?   Fuel pump problem? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2023 2:54 pm

Booster

4-5 gallons got it started. Gauge showed half full. When I refilled the gas can, I went ahead and filled the tank, ten gallons topped the tank between the gas can & gas station pump.

Gauge is as accurate as you can expect with these cars.

Don
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuel pump problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump problem?   Fuel pump problem? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel pump problem?
Page 1 of 1