GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

need tire reviews....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

need tire reviews.... Empty
PostSubject: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 4:17 pm

The wifey has agreed to get me new shoes for my Birthday and I am looking at the Kumho ASX's. Anyone have experience on these? I need them for the SS wheels and the selections are getting scarce....
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 9:43 pm

I had Kumho Solus tires on my Catera Sport, and they were good tires. Road quiet and handled well.

I'm running Pirelli P-Zero tires on my SS wheels. They're 2010 Mustang take-off's, and there are a lot in the market right now. Best tip I got when I was looking for tires.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 10:21 pm

I am currently running an all season on the wagon. Michelin 235/65/17 on the Impala wheels. Second set this size and love it. The first were coopers and they did not where well. These are the Hydroedge. They seem to be wearing very well. They should they are a 90k mile tire. They are not cheap, but like what they do so far. I am running the Goodyear Tripletred on the Saturn Vue with 215/70/17. Normally run the same size as the wagon, but running these due to a SMOK'N deal I found on them. Walked into a junk yard and these were stacked up out front. $175 for four so I could not walk away. Like these better traction wise (for snow) than the Michelin's, but they are pricey as well. Also wearing well.

My father swears by the Kumho Solus as well. They wear like iron. The ASX does not rate well at Tire Rack. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS They ranked 12 in their performance category. Good place to research.

This rating system at tirerack.com is great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 11:15 pm

I have had nothing but great service from the 3 sets of Kumhos that I have bought.The 225/75/15 kumhos are on
my nephews truck and still look good considering he,s 18 and its a 2wd truck with a mild small block chevy in it.
Tire Rack has the Kumho road venture APT KL51 in size 275/55/17 for 153.00 each and they ranked second in their
latest test.They are 28.6" tall and pretty wide so clearance may be a problem.Also they carry a 600AA wear rating.
I think that the 255/50s are to short for our wagons and I like a taller side wall for the ride.Dont know what you want to spend but I watch Craigslist for new takeoffs.If you catch the post quickly you can really save some money.
My Very Humble Opinion
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 4:38 am

Tim, while it is true that those tires ranked 12th, they ranked highest for the size available. I thought of the 235/65 tires, but I have less than 2K on a new tire (flat replacement)

I will look into the different size and see what's available as I find it hard to pay ~$150 a tire and my son can get a 20" tire for $88.

275 is a bit wide for me as I drive 19-20K a year, towing a 3500 pound trailer 80% of the time. They look great, but mileage and road resistance suffers....

Mike, are those Rustang tires the 235/65's?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 6:41 am

Here's the link on the Rustang tires.

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t1391-mustang-tires-for-your-wagon

So far these have been great. Car rides and handles well and tracks straight on the highway. They are wearing well....as to say they still look new.

I see these pop up on Craigslist in the parts section a lot. Think it's the best deal around.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 6:46 am

Standard 2010 Mustang tire is the Pirelli P-Zero Nero size 235/55/17.

Lots to be found on Craigslist and at the used tire stores, since the first mod many Mustang owners do is larger wheels/tires.

I love my Pirelli Rustang tires!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 6:53 am

See what I mean about these Mustang tires??

http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/2089581718.html

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:57 pm

did you buy sumthin yet? I got a pair of 17s in the garage just waiting for rubber
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 pm

yup got the firestone "off brand"

Primewell PZ900 in the 255/50/17

So far.....

quiet, comfortable, and good in the rain.

Only issue is that they have ZERO mile tradlife warranty.

I chose these for 2 very simple reasons:

1.) could not find ANYONE that would honor Tirerack's tire warranty; and Tirerack does not fix their own tires ("yes, sir, we DID mount those tires here, but you did not purchase those tires here")

2.) Only place open at 6pm on a Sunday

And....

3.) Lifetime free rotation every 5K (OK, this is more of a reason for them to pick my car apart looking to up-sell something, but I still get the rotation)
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 pm

don't the tires rotate when you drive?

and #2 how much coin did they cost ya?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:43 am

$450 for 3. WAY too much in my opinion, but the local tire shop quoted me $181 per tire PLUS all the little extras like, mounting, balancing..........

I will get away from these 255/50/17's when this set of tires wear out. Will be looking for a cheaper size.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need tire reviews....   need tire reviews.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

need tire reviews....
Page 1 of 1