GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Winking Wagon ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
redcaddy

redcaddy

Winking Wagon ? Empty
PostSubject: Winking Wagon ?   Winking Wagon ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2014 2:00 pm

I need the inside track to fixing the "winking" sunvisor on my Boxie.

As the hiway miles pile up, the drivers side visor slowly slides down, kinda like the old girl is winking. A sharp bump will bring down the curtain all at once, really getting annoying now. The passenger side (the one with the vanity mirror) has no such ambitions.

Short of gluing a piece of Velcro to the headliner or running a dry wall screw to the roof, is there an easy way to make it stay up ? (gotta be a simple fix I never heard of, right?)

Thanks, Paul
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Winking Wagon ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winking Wagon ?   Winking Wagon ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2014 8:39 pm

I am not sure how the visor is constructed. If you can remove the rod that it pivots on, you may be able to make it a little oval (flatten) to give it more resistance in the nylon bearing surface. Beyond that reshaping the nylon bearing could help, but be careful not to destroy it in the process.
Back to top Go down
GN1220

Winking Wagon ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winking Wagon ?   Winking Wagon ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 am

I always thought you could just tighten the screw that holds the visor on the shaft?
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

Winking Wagon ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winking Wagon ?   Winking Wagon ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 10:52 am

Yea, me too.
The Phillips screw head was already well stripped by the PO. I got it to tighten a little bit, helped some, but still falling. Slower, but still annoying.

Anybody know what the fitting looks like, under the upholstery ?

Thanks, Paul
Back to top Go down
GN1220

Winking Wagon ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winking Wagon ?   Winking Wagon ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 11:57 am

Might be able to remove the screw and slide the visor off of the shaft. That would allow you to see it. Maybe a longer screw?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Winking Wagon ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winking Wagon ?   Winking Wagon ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 6:48 pm

How about a Helicoil. You might be able to make a repair with JB Weld. Apply the JB Weld to the threads in the visor, and put some wax or light oil on the screw, and screw it into the threads. Let the JB weld set, and remove the screw. Be careful to keep the JB Weld out of theĀ gap between the threaded part and the clamping part.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

Winking Wagon ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winking Wagon ?   Winking Wagon ? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 2:12 pm

Just to close this one out, and share a bit of info.

A trip to my local trim shop solved the mystery. the post/pivot rod, pressed into the cast mount ( that screws to the roof) had come loose, no amount of tightening would fix the "winking".

I loosened the (partially stripped) lock screw and slid the visor off the mount, easy peasy.

There are several methods to repair the stripped hole in the soft cast mount. The easiest , for me, was to set it up in the mill and drill for a cross pin, (A hand drill and a bench vise would do as well) Pull out the rod, clean out the hole, next I mixed a bit of JB weld in the hole, inserted the rod and hammered in a steel roll pin, filed to length. DONE.

The clamp part, on the visor, with the stripped thread, had meat for an oversize drill and tap, (10-24 to 1/4-20) and a new flat head Phillips screw. The trimmer also gave me a better condition, take off, plastic liner/friction surface, that slips into the clamp piece on the visor.

I re-assembled the whole hot mess, and VIOLA, problem solved.

Thanks for the help, paul
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Winking Wagon ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winking Wagon ?   Winking Wagon ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winking Wagon ?
Page 1 of 1