GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shocks for a soft-ish ride?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DPM96C

Shocks for a soft-ish ride? Empty
PostSubject: Shocks for a soft-ish ride?   Shocks for a soft-ish ride? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 10:12 pm

My new-to-me 92 Roadmaster needs four new shocks, and drives like it--it bounces like crazy over bumps. I've read through all the shocks threads on here, but most of the recommendations are for shocks like the Monroe Severe Service, which sound quite a bit stiffer than I'm looking for.

I'd like some control, but I definitely want it to ride like a Buick--is there a good middle ground? (I saw some endorsements of the KYB Gas-a-Just.)
Back to top Go down
just me

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for a soft-ish ride?   Shocks for a soft-ish ride? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 10:43 pm

Sounds like the KYB would be too stiff riding for your wants. The cushy ride is a Monroe specialty, their Sensa-tracs would probably be just right for you but not the Monroe Matics. I have always preferred the KYB Gas-a-Just handling but the ride suffers a little too much for some people.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for a soft-ish ride?   Shocks for a soft-ish ride? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 5:36 am

I've had the Monroe Severe Service up front and coilovers in the rear on three different wagons. The ride is firmer, but not harsh in the least. What you notice most is improved handling, and you won't be bottoming out the suspension from ineffectual shocks; which is where "harsh" really comes into the picture. The ride on my worn OEM shocks felt like some gremlin was hitting the underside of the car with a sledgehammer on rough roads.

Monroe shocks are relatively inexpensive, and the better grades hold up well under extended use. You can buy them online, have them shipped to your door, and bring them to just about any independent shop and they'll install them. My local Monroe shop is staffed by doctors who can perform a radical cashectomy on your wallet. The independent shop I use put all four shocks on in about 90 minutes while I waited.
Back to top Go down
DPM96C

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for a soft-ish ride?   Shocks for a soft-ish ride? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2016 7:24 pm

For anybody who ends up on this thread a couple of years from now: I ended up going with the KYB Excel-Gs. Hard to compare it to anything, since what I had before was basically undriveable, but I like how the wagon's driving.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for a soft-ish ride?   Shocks for a soft-ish ride? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 10:06 am

Ive had great luck with the KYB's. Ends the sea-sick like float,IMO.
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for a soft-ish ride?   Shocks for a soft-ish ride? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 12:46 pm

Just put a set of KYB G-Excells on the front of my 96 Roadie. First impression was these shocks are tiny compared to the originals I removed. Size is not a true indicator of function in their case. No floating, no harsh at all. Guess a bit of time will tell if they can deliver on the long term but new they work great so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shocks for a soft-ish ride?   Shocks for a soft-ish ride? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shocks for a soft-ish ride?
Page 1 of 1