GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Change oil light will not reset

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DBM61

Change oil light will not reset Empty
PostSubject: Change oil light will not reset   Change oil light will not reset Icon_minitimeWed Nov 22, 2023 11:07 am

Hi all,
My 96 RM Estate Wagon "change oil light" will not reset with the key on, depress gas pedal 3 times procedure.
Any thoughts on how to proceed or disconnect the dash light?
Thanks, Dave
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Change oil light will not reset   Change oil light will not reset Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2023 2:25 pm

pull the fuse panel off on the driver's door dash. there is a reset button in there as well.

silverfox103 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Change oil light will not reset   Change oil light will not reset Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2024 1:04 pm

you can also go key on, no start, pump gas 3 times and light goes out. then you can start it.
I just did the oil in my optioned Caprice and the reset button wasn't there So I used this old method and it works fine.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Change oil light will not reset   Change oil light will not reset Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2024 10:28 pm

Take a look at your front floor mat on the driver side. Mine did not have tight enough tethers on it and it bot just far enough to prevent an easy push like I did for the reset from being enough to make it work.

Moved the mat out of the way and reset fine. I have since changed to better mats and different hold downs so mats stay put.

I have a 96 RMW.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Change oil light will not reset   Change oil light will not reset Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2024 3:51 am

""disconnect the dash light?""

Probably don't want to do that. The Oil Change algorithm is a complex calculation which has been validated by extensive oil analysis studies. It has only improved over the years, but even by the mid 90s the calculation was much better than a time or mileage interval driven change.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Change oil light will not reset   Change oil light will not reset Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2024 7:30 pm

Rev Bob wrote:
""disconnect the dash light?""

Probably don't want to do that. The Oil Change algorithm is a complex calculation which has been validated by extensive oil analysis studies. It has only improved over the years, but even by the mid 90s the calculation was much better than a time or mileage interval driven change.

Only one vehicle in our fleet that doesn’t get an oil change until that light comes on. The 2024 and that is only because it is under a factory warranty and a dealer service contract. It’s on them if any problems were to arise. Everything else gets changed when I want to change it. More leeway on stuff made in the 21st century and use Synthetic. The wagon has 23x thousand miles and uses the old fashioned dinosaur stuff so it is done more often. Funny thing is the light comes on sometime after 2 oil changes.

Some folks love it and that’s cool. In my time I just notice that the countdown reaches 0% after about 10k miles. The exact number of miles that the jugs of Mobil 1 say they are good for. Coincidence? I doubt it. My son had a 2018 Nissan that would let you set the mileage number to whatever interval you wanted. Not much science behind that one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Change oil light will not reset   Change oil light will not reset Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Change oil light will not reset
Page 1 of 1