GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Remove stock battery cable bolt

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rematar

rematar

Remove stock battery cable bolt Empty
PostSubject: Remove stock battery cable bolt   Remove stock battery cable bolt Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:01 pm

I installed an innovative wiring headlight harness on my 95 rmw. My positive post bolt does not hold by enough threads now that there is a washer fastener beneath it. I bought a longer post, but cannot figure out how to get the old one out of the stock positive terminal. I didn't work at it for very long because it was cold out last night. I am thinking of cutting it, but then I doubt I will get the new bolt through as they have the same threads.
Any advise?

thanks,
dave
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Remove stock battery cable bolt   Remove stock battery cable bolt Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am

Without looking first........

Should just remove the nut, then punch out the bolt. On RARE occasions I have seen a bolt that is molded to the clamp.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID

IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Remove stock battery cable bolt   Remove stock battery cable bolt Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 5:38 am

Just take a socket that is a bit bigger than the round part of the bolt and slide over the bolt. place a 2x4 on the core support, and put the cable head and bolt with socket on the 2x4 and give the socket a good whack with a hammer. once the bolt threads are in the hole, you can turn the bolt out with a wrench. Then drill the cable end eye hole slightly larger so the new bolt just slides in.
Back to top Go down
rematar

rematar

PostSubject: Re: Remove stock battery cable bolt   Remove stock battery cable bolt Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 4:01 pm

Thank-you. I got around to doing this yesterday. It was good to know that I could get it out without wrecking the cable end terminal.
For info, the new bolt fit easily without drilling.
The long bolt was too long, so I bought another one that was the same length, but it came with a spacer that fit into the rubber around the terminal for a good fit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remove stock battery cable bolt   Remove stock battery cable bolt Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Remove stock battery cable bolt
Page 1 of 1