GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My new rotors

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 8:11 pm

I got my new crossed drilled and diamond slotted rotors for my Wagon. They were cheaper then buying plain aftermarkets locally.

My new rotors 003-4
Back to top Go down

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Pretty pretty, now just make sure you dont put them on the wrong side.Just kidding Jarrod
Shame you wont be able to see them easily.
JG
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 12:25 am

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 10:57 am

I love new rotors.

My new rotors New_rotor
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 11:33 am

Awww.... the Astro Van conversion. Very nice.

Now I want to know,... if I order calipers is there a better option than standard calipers that will be a direct bolt on to my factory set up. I know Jay had a set at WF that were in the auction but I had no clue what was different about them so I never put a ticket in them.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Stock calipers are sufficient. 9C1 calipers will allow you to use the wider D614 pads but nobody keeps 9C1 calipers in stock.

With the astro conversion you go from a 26.4mm to a 32.7mm rotor and you MUST use the J55 caliper because it's the only one with enough room to accomodate that extra width (I even had to grind a set of pads down to get them to fit). The good news is that most auto parts stores have the J55 caliper in stock for under $20 apiece; at least the Syracuse stores did. Search on a '96 Cadillac commercial chassis and they'll come up.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 3:40 pm

My 95 Caprice wagon I bought has the 9C1 brake upgrade, and WOW its impressive.
Comparing my 96 RMW (stock brakes) to the 9C1 brakes is absolutely night and day difference. I'm not really sure on what is all improved, but they really stop great!

Just my findings, so if you can afford the 9C1 brakes, do it!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 4:39 pm

I read up on the 9C1 calipers and they were designed so the brake fluid can cool quicker under severe braking conditions. Since I am not a big on the brakes person wife excluded I think were going to be fine with stock calipers. But I will add the low dust EBC pads and new hoses.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 5:04 pm

Stock, 9C1 and J55 calipers are all the same. The only difference is the width.
Back to top Go down

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Joel so the 9c1 brakes are going to handle hard constant stops better and the fluid should stay
cooler.By doing this your stopping distances should stay constant longer than stock which will
increase due to heat.Now I want a set or 2!
JG
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 11:04 pm

I think there's some confusion here. Stock brakes are just fine for the street. If you want more aggressive feel, then go with more aggressive pads, simple as that. In fact, Performance Friction pads were on clearance for $22.99 a set back in March/April of 2011 - so if you can find them at your local Autozone or Advance, they're a deal.

"9C1 brakes" were wider calipers and the pads had a different cross-sectional area (they're slightly larger). They're also thicker, but I believe that this was mainly to allow them a longer service life, NOT for better performance.

The J55 brakes used on the Cadillac Commercial Chassis cars (think limosine and hearse bodies) had even wider calipers but used standard pads (I believe) and much wider rotors from the '71-76 Caprice. These thicker rotors do not have provisions for the ABS tone ring pressed onto the back of stock B-body wheels, and thus those cars do not have ABS.

What I am showing on my 9C1 are J55 calipers (I painted them silver) and front rotors from a '97 AWD Chevy Astro. How to do this is detailed in the brake section. I did this for two reasons: 1, I was planning to road-race the Caprice this summer and didn't want to spend $1000+ for a big brake kit I'd use once, and 2, maintenance-wise, it makes rotor changes a breeze and the Syracuse winters are very hard on rotors (I drive the wagon in the winter).

This mod doesn't change the braking feel at all. But I will say after sustained 20-minute track sessions which you would never do with stock brakes, these brakes never faded. For the record, I used name-brand good quality 9C1 pads. It's worth noting that I also flushed the whole system with ATE Super Blue racing fluid which is rated for 540F dry boiling point, so I'm sure that helped.

But by all means - go to more aggressive pads if you like, and definitely replace all of your rubber hoses and flush the brake fluid and your car will stop great.

Wagon owners beware though - I have had nothing but trouble keeping the self-adjusters working on the rear drums and the rear brakes on these cars do a lot, so you miss them when they aren't working.
Back to top Go down

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 11:34 pm

I have been running that exact pad for 3 years now and they are great.Suppose to be much less
dusty than standard pads but I cant see any difference on my rims.
Thanks again Joel!
JG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My new rotors Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new rotors   My new rotors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My new rotors
Page 1 of 1