GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
9196RMWNUT

9196RMWNUT

HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY?? Empty
PostSubject: HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY??   HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY?? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Hello Wagon Lovers,

I had a question I just wanted to get some input on from the experts. I have to repair a couple of doors on my new aquisition, 95 Buick RMW Blue. It doesn't have the woodgrain and it appears that 2 of the clips in the center that hold the trim on the door are broken. I have plenty of clips but want to make sure I don't bend or mess up anything underneath the stainless piece.

Any step by step instructions for removal and installation and recommended tools would be greatly appreciated. I also have a couple of the black trim pieces peeling. I think maybe double sided 3m tape will do the trick there?

Any and all input is appreciated!!!!

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY??   HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY?? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Just wait a while Daniel until some of the guys with a ton more expierience get home from work.
Thats a good looking wagon in your avatar too.
Jim
Back to top Go down
9196RMWNUT

9196RMWNUT

PostSubject: Stainless Door Trim Piece Removal/Installation   HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY?? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 3:03 pm

No problem. I have plenty of time. Yes, that 93 RMW was my daily driver til I got my newest one. It definitely needs some paint and a few other things but the interior is nice and the engine still runs great (LO5). Thanks. I love that car. I know it's jealous of the other one right now and it should be!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY??   HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY?? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 3:18 pm

Ownership of these wagons is very habit forming.Doesnt matter if you leave them stock,customed,
or enhanced power and handling.If owning one is good,owning 5 is better.Just ask Sprocket?
Jim
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY??   HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY?? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey Nut

That chrome is pretty easy to remove. On the inside of the door, on either end of the chrome, there is a phillips screw. Remove those. Now lift the chrome, from the bottom, and it will unhook from the top.

If you want to secure the chrome the same way, using the clips, you need 94 to 96 RMW doors in the rear and 95 to 96 doors in the front (because of the mirror). Front sedan doors will also fit, rears will not. Physically the Caprice doors are the same, but they don't have the rivet things to secure the clips, that hold the chrome.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY??   HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY?? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 9:17 pm

Do as silverfox103 said, but the inside may be 11mm nuts in stead of the phillips head screws he mentioned. Put tape on your door where the end of the studs will travel. They can make deep scratches in the paint.

The 96 RMS doors will not have the T pins on the door either, because they taped plastic trim on them.

Taping the black pieces is probably the best way to restick them. Make sure you have really sanitary surfaces.
Back to top Go down
9196RMWNUT

9196RMWNUT

PostSubject: Re: HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY??   HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY?? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks for your input silverfox103 and Fred Kiehl!! Sorry for the slow response.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY??   HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HOW DO YOU REMOVE STAINLESS BELT FROM DOORS SAFELY??
Page 1 of 1