GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sloppy gear box

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Sloppy gear box Empty
PostSubject: Sloppy gear box   Sloppy gear box Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 4:23 am

well since I am layed up I just thought of my gear box and was wondering what are my options? Mine is loose and needs replacing. Maybe a nice low milage box is all I really need. Fred K ????
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

Sloppy gear box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloppy gear box   Sloppy gear box Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Are you sure that it isn't just a worn out center link ball joint?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

Sloppy gear box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloppy gear box   Sloppy gear box Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 6:40 pm

Do you mean your steering box? I was just talking about this on another forum as mine is loose. There is an adjustment procedure to tighten it up. Also, Rockauto carries brand new/reman boxes for not too much money after the core charge.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Sloppy gear box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloppy gear box   Sloppy gear box Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Get out your FSM. It has the instructions for adjusting the box. Loose does not mean worn out. If you are mechanically inclined, there are rebuild kits for the do-it-yourselfer. Be careful that you get the right box if you buy a rebuilt. There is a thread on ISSF about an incorrect box from Autozone. Not enough travel for proper steering.

I do not have any steering boxes that I am willing to sell. Shipping is almost prohibitive.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

Sloppy gear box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloppy gear box   Sloppy gear box Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 1:31 am

I don't remember WHY at this point, but adjusting the allen screw and locknut on top of the steering box should ONLY be done with the wheels straight ahead (sector gear centered). If you tighten when the gear is off-center, you will overtighten.

and doing anything with the steering box before double checking looseness in the linkage is not smart. It's easy to check.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Sloppy gear box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloppy gear box   Sloppy gear box Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 4:15 am

Jimbeau,.. my front end is completely new every sticth of it so I know that is not the problem. You tube here I come.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Sloppy gear box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloppy gear box   Sloppy gear box Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 7:39 am

jimbeau wrote:
I don't remember WHY at this point, but adjusting the allen screw and locknut on top of the steering box should ONLY be done with the wheels straight ahead (sector gear centered). If you tighten when the gear is off-center, you will overtighten.

and doing anything with the steering box before double checking looseness in the linkage is not smart. It's easy to check.

The input shaft plug must be adjusted first, then the screw on top. The nut is just a locknut. The reason you have to adjust it at center is, because the extremes have looser tollerances. The FSM has the correct technique and proper tollerances. Simply put, the plug must be tightened, and backed off 1/2 inch as measured at the outside edge of the housing. Then the sector shaft adjustment screw is adjusted until the input shaft has a center reading of 6-10 Lb. inches within 45 degrees rotation of center. The proceedure is in section 3B1-8 in your FSM.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

Sloppy gear box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloppy gear box   Sloppy gear box Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 2:11 pm

I'm thinking that the RoadyMan here could have something as simple as too little toe-in. It makes the car feel sloppy and prone to wander, especially with incorrect rims with more offset than factory. . It's easy to adjust yourself on a level surface.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Sloppy gear box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloppy gear box   Sloppy gear box Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Jim I have 7 inch rims on it right now with proper tire size. And the car has been lined up recently, and the steering wheel does have some extra travel to it.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

Sloppy gear box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloppy gear box   Sloppy gear box Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Well, then it's starting to sound like you could have a sloppy box. But, have someone sit in the car and run the wheel back & forth through the 'slop zone' (with the engine off) while you look under the hood at the steering shaft. There are two pieces that telescope together (they can get sloppy; mine did) and a rag joint. This is just a last check before you expend bucks and effort.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Sloppy gear box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloppy gear box   Sloppy gear box Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks for your input Jim much appreciated. I'm sure some people on here may have read this info and found your comments quite helpful. I know all comments were based on not knowing the car so again Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sloppy gear box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sloppy gear box   Sloppy gear box Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sloppy gear box
Page 1 of 1