GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bravada Console General Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Bravada Console General Question Empty
PostSubject: Bravada Console General Question   Bravada Console General Question Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Hey guys, I found a 98 Bravada console, complete, at a junkyard. I am out of town, so I don't have all my tools with me. After looking at the junk yard car, it looks like my small 1/4 inch metric set will take care of the console itself. However, I have 2 questions-first, do you use the Bravada shift linkage to hook up to my 96 Roady? And, secondly, if you do need it, is it a bear to get off the junk yard car? I can get under it ( I did not do it today as it was raining ) but I am not sure how it will disconnect from the trans of the Bravada. I forgot to look if it is a 4 or 2 wheel drive truck, if that matters. Please, anyone let me know tonight if you can as I have to leave tomorrow to go back home, and won't be this way again for a long time. It is even the right color, and in excellent condition, so I am anxious to get it. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Bravada Console General Question   Bravada Console General Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 2:58 pm

I'm probably too late for this, but... A metric 1/4" drive set with a long extension, a small pick, slip joint pliers and/or channel locks, and small flat blade screw driver should be all you need to get it all out. Yes you will want the shift cable, and all the brackets that go with. 2wd or 4wd will work, it's all the same. It all comes apart pretty easy.

Mike
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Bravada Console General Question   Bravada Console General Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Bring a knife and cut or remove the carpet in the center of the driver's seat footwell. This will get you access to the shift cable. Make sure the shift cable is not chafed through and rusting (seen this with water under the carpet). The cable runs behind the floor HVAC vents so they will have to be removed to get the cable out.

You will need the cable and bracket. Under the truck, if 4WD you will have to remove three 15mm rock guard bolts to get the cable out. The shifter bracket on the trans you will need, and it is held on by 10mm bolts (save the bolts too). Remove the cablef rom the shift bracket by prying underneath with pliers sideways. Disconnect the cable from the bracket using pliers - pull the silver U-pin out, then squeeze the ears and it will come out. The shifter nut is 9/16, 5/8 or 13 or 15mm (can't remember). Then wiggle the bracket off and take it with you.

If the truck is not jacked up on blocks or rims, you will not be able to get the cable out. Also, if the trans is already missing, that likely means the shift cable is cut and the bracket is gone. Been there learned that.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Bravada Console General Question   Bravada Console General Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Guys thanks, but I just got home and am now getting your messages. I did get the console and shifter, but not the cable. Is the cable the same for Bravada/Blazer/Jimmy vehicles? I didn't take the cable as it looked to be much more work,wasn't sure if I needed it, and I didn't have much time. Thankfully, the console came out very easily-maybe 10 minutes or so. Unfortunately, someone else had tried to get it partially out before, and broke the back two mounts, but that will be easy enough to fix, and they are not seen anyways. In a different Bravada, I even found the rubber inserts for the cup holder and small storage tray as well. This yard had 4 Bravada's, but only one had the shifter and console intact. As I mentioned earlier, I don't plan doing this until spring, so at this point all I really need to know is if that cable is the same for all the trucks. I can then be on the lookout for one next time I hit up the yards. Thanks again guys for the info.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Bravada Console General Question   Bravada Console General Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 11:18 pm

I just wanted to ad that I did get the interior mounting brackets as well. Everything that could be removed from inside the vehicle I now have. Can't wait to do it in the spring. After sitting inside Ian's Roady, I knew that a console was in my future!
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Bravada Console General Question   Bravada Console General Question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 5:17 pm

The cables are all the same between brands.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bravada Console General Question   Bravada Console General Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bravada Console General Question
Page 1 of 1