GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roo Wagon Down again

Go down 
+28
buickwagon
Mark 96 Roady
brokecello
JaySS
scoffman
Gastt
buickestate
DBeaSSt
Olds Weighty Eight
jayoldschool
COL
jasonlachapelle
ChevyChugg
convert2diesel
s1l1sc
silverfox103
81X11
rh96ss
Cadet57
a1awind
95BRMW
Fred Kiehl
phantom 309
BigBlackBeaSSt
benn
GraypaHarwick
toomanytoyz
Sprocket
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
COL

COL

Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 11:52 pm

Ray,
Just keep blowing your new horns and you won't hear any other noises.
COL
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 9:27 am

What he said. Smile

Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 11:28 am

Ray, I'm anxious to hear what happens when you remove the serp belt as far as the noise. My OCC had a funny noise, I was sure it was the AIR pump, (used a stethoscope) but I took the belt off, and as crazy as this sounds, I attached the belt to each pulley individually, and the other end of the belt riding around a large diameter hole saw attached to an electric drill (yes you've read that right) and I was surprised to find it was my water pump!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Lynol, when can we expect a "YouTube" on that operation.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 1:50 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Lynol, when can we expect a "YouTube" on that operation.

Tom
lol. It's like I say in my videos, "I'm not a professional; I'm just a guy with some tools."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 7:58 pm

Okay. Been away for a couple days, but here's the low down.

I pulled the belt. Noise disappeared.

I checked out the water pump. It's good. AC compressor, good (but I think my blower motor is dying... that'll be fun). Alternator was/is charging, and the PS pump is brand new as of a year ago or so.

Figured it out: the fan shroud was warped along the bottom and it was hitting eeeeever so slightly. I realized this when I was listening to it run and leaned gently on it to look over, and the noise went away.

So I pulled the fan, grabbed a razor blade, and etched the bottom of the warped shroud a little bit for clearance.

Noise gone.

Oil leak still there, but it's minor. It's looking like it is that adapter gasket set again, because I saw it dripping straight down the filter. It's been raining all week, so I haven't been under the car, but I've been checking the oil level every day before I drive it, if need be.

So.... we're almost happy.

He's alive.

Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 964775_10201437918856531_2034821310_o
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:28 pm

WOOHOO,the Roo wagon rides again!Whats next kid?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:37 pm

Maybe front suspension work. I've had everything sitting in boxes for months.... That might be fun.
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:42 pm

Blower motor is 3 screws after you get the dash cover panel off the bottom. Takes like 5 minutes to do. If you want to wait a few weeks I can help with those suspension parts.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:55 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Maybe front suspension work. I've had everything sitting in boxes for months.... That might be fun.

Uh oh,..

ever see the movie "chitty chitty bang bang" ??

Nick
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 9:19 pm

So Ray. I guess you don't need a new engine now? Right?
Dick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 9:27 pm

Right.

Thankfully.

Nick - ha.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 9:36 pm

That's great news, dude! Seems as though a major crisis has been averted! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
fmlm83

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 10:30 pm

And it has made some good reading material! What a Face
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 10:34 pm

study 8 pages of suspense.... bounce Waiting for the climax..... Shocked And, nuthin'.... Neutral Oh well, it was a good story tongue , I'm glad it wasn't all that bad for ya Ray. Drive on.

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 12:34 am

A good title would be "Will Rays Wagon Run Or Not"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 12:56 am

Like "Will it blend?" but just, "Will it run?"

Answer: apparently so. It did just fine on the way to another job interview today.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 1:05 am

How about "As the Wagon Rolls"?
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 3:31 am

Stingroo wrote:

Ok, first off: congratulations! That must be a big load off your mind. Things are looking up and I'm sure you'll be telling us you got a job in the near future.

Now, what good is experience if we don't learn from it? While you initially fretted about a lot of other possibilities and approaches, you did eventually follow phantom 309's (and those that repeated it) sound advice* for a simple easy check, leading you to a simple easy fix. So the lesson for today:

The #1 rule of troubleshooting: do the simplest and easiest checks first, because:
a) simple checks don't cost much time or money, and
b) that's usually what's wrong anyway.

Congrats again!

*bad pun, but I couldn't resist... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 8:23 am

It is good to hear that your issues are relatively minor. You might want to invest in an engine stethoscope, because you can listen to the other parts individually too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 8:28 am

I've got one. Handy little tool.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 9:34 am

So, just to sum it up, finally I hope for your sake; car overheated due to pulling a trailer without the fan shroud, and what caused the noise that you isolated by pulling the belt?
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 10:45 am

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
So, just to sum it up, finally I hope for your sake; car overheated due to pulling a trailer without the fan shroud, and what caused the noise that you isolated by pulling the belt?

Stingroo wrote:

Figured it out: the fan shroud was warped along the bottom and it was hitting eeeeever so slightly. I realized this when I was listening to it run and leaned gently on it to look over, and the noise went away.

So I pulled the fan, grabbed a razor blade, and etched the bottom of the warped shroud a little bit for clearance.

Noise gone.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Wow, if only every car repair was that easy and painless. Congratulations, and good luck on the job search.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 1:59 pm

So back to looking for a new heart for Grimmy.....Glad it worked out.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Dont know about you guys but I am happy its running again!
Back to top Go down
GraypaHarwick

GraypaHarwick

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 3:20 pm

Glad it is running as well. Now if he sells Grimace maybe other things can start to turn around for him. Good luck finding a job.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 4:47 pm

Nope. All of that money goes into the house. Sale of necessity, not desire. Sad
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 am

Glad to hear it's fixed and it was NOT a big deal! Now post a pic with the new steering wheel installed Ray!! Smile

Funny but similar. My girlfriend and now wife had a 1988 Thunderbird (the Thunderturd, her name, not mine..ha) when we met in 1994. I hated it. Gold over tan V6 car. Bench seat, column shift, yellowed plastic headlights, dim digital gauges, and the a/c was dead. Her Dad gave it to her, it had been her Mom's car. I hate Fords! Right after we moved in together, someone ran a stop sign just as she was pulling through an intersection and knocked the front bumper totally off. Car still ran, fender barely dented, just knocked the nose cap off. Still, the insurance totaled the car...and sent Misty a check for $3500. I was so tickled I about danced in my apt parking lot.

I gave Misty my nearly-new 1993 S-10 pickup and took the money and bought a really sharp 1985 Pontiac Grand Prix LE. 305, floor shift, buckets, gauges with a tach...I loved it. Misty didn't like the Landau top...and neither did I, but the car was so nice otherwise, and I loved it.

Now to the point of my story...a week....only one week after I bought it, it developed a knocking/tapping sound from under the car. I was totally depressed. Here I'd spent every cent of the insurance money on this car (which Misty, while trusting me, was not sure of...to her it looked like an older car than her T-bird...and WAS older by three years, but to her it looked a lot less "modern"in general).

It sounded like the lower end. On a Chevy 305, one of the most bulletproof engines ever made. I was blown away. We had just moved to Austin, did not know anyone and had no connections. Had a tiny aprtment, Misty working at a temp service and me at a gas station. I had no money to fix a car.

The mechanic at the station put the car on the lift, and after scaring me...oh you're going to need a motor for sure Mike....he then smiled and said "Come here dummy", and walked under the car. The plastic torque converter cover was hanging down just a bit. Two of the bolts holding it to the trans were gone, and the two on the other side were loose. He lifted it up, and the noise was gone. Smile

Haha, you live and learn. That GP ran like a watch the next three years I owned it. You always want to check the little things first!

-Mike

Oh and yes, as usual...I miss that car!!
Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Sacns_0013
Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Sacns_0007
Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Sacns_0003
Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Sacns_0009
Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Sacns_0008
Here's the S-10 and GP in the parking lot of our first apartment together:
Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Sacns_0011
Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Sacns_0010
I replaced the goofy aftermarket wheels with 15-inch Pontiac Rally II wheels. MAN that was a sharp GP!
Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Sacns_0014

Oh and here's Misty's T-Bird she had when we met. I was never so thrilled to see a car get hit! I don't miss this one AT ALL!
Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Sacns_0017
Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Sacns_0016
Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Sacns_0019

Last edited by 81X11 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 11:12 am

Gee Mike, I was gonna say that I couldn't believe you didn't put Poncho rallyes on it. Guess I don't have to.... Lol.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 11:41 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Gee Mike, I was gonna say that I couldn't believe you didn't put Poncho rallyes on it. Guess I don't have to.... Lol.

Hahaha, yep I knew when I bought that Grand Prix that those aftermarket wheels would have to go. Those Rally II's were 15-inch, and came off a salvage-yard late 80's Firebird. When I bought them they were reverse-painted...light silver on the inside and dark grey on the outside. GM did that on some Birds in the late 80's (and the '86 GP 2+2) ...but those looked wrong to me. I re-painted them back to the "correct" silver-over-grey in the parking lot of our South Austin apartment and mounted them with 70's-style arrowhead center caps (the 80's GP's had optional 14-inch Rally II's with ugly chrome center caps..didn't want to use those caps though, and the 15-inch wheels filled out the wheel-wells better and looked stock).

When I got those Rally's on there, that GP looked SO MUCH BETTER. It just looked so "right". I was thrilled with that car.

I finally sold that car to one of my Techs, Gustavo, at the a/c shop I worked at in the later 90's. Used the money for the down payment on a beautiful 32K-mile white '95 Bonneville SLE for Misty...and got my S-10 back from her.

I got to watch the GP sit in the parking lot the next two years at our shop, but was not really happy with the stereo Gustavo butchered into the car....or the huge wheels he put on it...and when he had "The Hispanic Mechanic" airbrushed onto the back of the trunklid (no joke)I about wanted to beat him.... Mad

Sorry for thread-jacking!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roo Wagon Down again
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4