GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roo Wagon Down again

Go down 
+28
buickwagon
Mark 96 Roady
brokecello
JaySS
scoffman
Gastt
buickestate
DBeaSSt
Olds Weighty Eight
jayoldschool
COL
jasonlachapelle
ChevyChugg
convert2diesel
s1l1sc
silverfox103
81X11
rh96ss
Cadet57
a1awind
95BRMW
Fred Kiehl
phantom 309
BigBlackBeaSSt
benn
GraypaHarwick
toomanytoyz
Sprocket
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 8:59 pm

No shroud will cause it to overheat in short order, especially while towing. That's why you overheated it. Wink

Shrouds are VERY important on a mechanical fan car. Doh!
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 9:11 pm

you can use a kitchen sink for a shroud
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 9:32 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
I'm pretty sure I have a TBI shroud laying around, you need upper and lower parts?

Yeah, the whole thing got trashed.

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:02 pm

I thought you pulled the shroud when I got there! Geez, maybe it's the 8000 RPM you are turning, lol.

Pull the shroud off of Grimmy for now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:04 pm

Good idea. Poor Grimace. Rob from the parts-rich to give to the poor.

lol
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:23 pm

roll on his tires too....just saying
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Yeah. I need to break the wheel locks off my car first. Body shop lost the key... fml.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:50 pm

take a 12 point metric socket,. smaller than your locks,.
BFH,.. drive the socket onto the lock,.it'll undo easy,.whacking it with bfh loosens the wheel nut seating on the aluminum rim,..,.airgun makes it easy,. big breaker bar is the manual way,.

put the socket on a 12" extension,. roll the socket across something solid while you beat the sides with the bfh,. the lock will pop out,.
repeat as necessary,.

Nick

so tell me again why you guys pulled the intake?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Ray before you do anything else please get the shroud off the other wagon before you lose something very very important to you.Hard to tell but I heard a vaccum leak that didnt seem to change pitch when you revved it up.As Nick said that loaded trailer and no shroud caused the overheating.The leak was probably always there and you just noticed the puddle while on the side of the road.Although the starter sounded fine is the wire connection that you are suppose to unplug prior to adjusting the timing plugged back in?Its on the passenger side of the engine about even with the thermostat housing.If the timing was too far advanced the starter usually strains to turn the engine over.Please put the air cleaner nuts back on and tighten up.Is that tape residue on plug wire number 1 or 3 or is the wire insulation coming off?
Going back to watch and listen to your engine some more!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 11:41 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
take a 12 point metric socket,. smaller than your locks,.
BFH,.. drive the socket onto the lock,.it'll undo easy,.whacking it with bfh loosens the wheel nut seating on the aluminum rim,..,.airgun makes it easy,. big breaker bar is the manual way,.

put the socket on a 12" extension,. roll the socket across something solid while you beat the sides with the bfh,. the lock will pop out,.
repeat as necessary,.

Nick

so tell me again why you guys pulled the intake?

Solid idea. Can do that.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 7:30 am

If putting a fan shroud on the car fixes it I think we're all going to jump up and down. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 7:42 am

If you don't have all this crap solved before I get there ~3 weeks, I'll come straight over and help you out.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 9:19 am

81X11 wrote:
If putting a fan shroud on the car fixes it I think we're all going to jump up and down. Smile

well,. not all of us,.too much effort,..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 9:24 am

Well, a fan shroud won't solve the oil leak or engine noise. lololol

Heading out for a bit this morning, but when I get home, I'll see what's up.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 9:42 am

Ray,
Good advice here. Fix the things mentioned. Don't be so quick to buy a used engine from a JY. Who knows what that vehicle sounded like before it ended up there.

From the 8 pages on this thread, one would have expected a rod knock and a Texas style oil gusher, at least. Smile

Then go mail some resumes out.

Dick
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 12:40 pm

the location of the leak looks like the oil filter adapter. PIA I replaced mine and less than a year later had to replace it again. I found it funny because everyone on here keeps complaining about the oil filter hoses leaking. Mine are fine but that dang seal where the adapter mounts tot he block has leaked on me twice. The second time the gasket looked a lot thicker so I'm hoping it won't blow when it gets cold again. If it does I'm going with some RTV sealant and adding it to the new gasket.

Check the vacuum like Nick said.

I to am curious why you felt the need to pull the intake? And a timing light is a great investment. just say'n
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Replacement Engine Posts   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Discussion regarding sourcing a replacement engine moved here to clean up the thread:

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t8605-1992-tbi-engine-replacement-options-discussion

Trying to diagnose the current engine situation is hard enough without the added distraction.

- J

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 5:24 pm

Alright, so that still leaves the mystery noise.

I'm at a loss.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 11:46 pm

81X11 wrote:

Safety first and that exposed fan is a accident just waiting to happen!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Ray...is your dog in the car with you (on the test drive video?)

Check to make sure the adapter is tight. I ditched the oil cooler lines too on my old OCC (Sprockets now) I was leaking at the adapter and up by the rad. Lol

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:01 am

Yeah, Moose was in the car. Hahaha.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:08 am

Stingroo wrote:
Yeah, Moose was in the car. Hahaha.

Hahaa...ok. I was like "what the heck is that..." Then it dawned on me. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:09 am

He was jonesing for some car time. Poor guy. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Okay so I put an ad on craigslist and a local guy, like REALLY local, came over with a timing light and helped me re-set it all. It runs nicely. Seems to still make the clattery noise, but not as bad as before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Fingers crossed but I dont think its done yet!Is the shroud on yet?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Not yet. Just going to give the one from Grimace for now.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:49 pm

What kind of an ad did you put on Craigslist?? "Come time my car"?? Now that has to be a first!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Any feedback from the craigslist "timer",. as to what his opinion is on the noise???

Nick
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:58 pm

Young slim male needs timing light, enjoys large open pipes, copious amounts of oil, and running around with no shroud on.

Dude was there in 10 minutes!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:00 pm

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
What kind of an ad did you put on Craigslist?? "Come time my car"?? Now that has to be a first!

Asked if anyone had a timing light that I could borrow. Advance's rental unit was out. I really didn't want to spare the cash to buy one. The guy ended up living one street over from me, and knew the car/house, and was really cool.

Re: the noise - he said I should just run thicker oil. *shrug*
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:04 pm

a pail of synthetic 75w-90,.. up on the roof with a drip feed,..in the top of the motor, out the bottom,.
that'll fixer up,.
Tea bee eyes love that stuff,..

Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Yhst-130738920928682_2262_32797323
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:08 pm

lmao

I'll take another video of it tomorrow. It DOES sound better, but I still think there's another issue here.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:12 pm

Stingroo wrote:
lmao

I'll take another video of it tomorrow. It DOES sound better, but I still think there's another issue here.

something to do with the intake mebbe,.. Wink

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:24 pm

This time - no! I really don't think so!
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Young slim male needs timing light, enjoys large open pipes, copious amounts of oil, and running around with no shroud on.

Dude was there in 10 minutes!
Wow, you are sicker than I am...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 12:03 am

Mark... lol
Back to top Go down
GraypaHarwick

GraypaHarwick

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Ray not sure if there are any LKQ you-pull-it near you but the one in Daytona is having a 50% off sale Sat-Mon. They did geta 91 Caprice from Sanford police in today. Very Happy The wife and I are going picking tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Yeah, there's one in West Palm Beach. I'm heading down.

Fan shroud from Grimace on the car now. Seems to be okay now, except for the oil leak. Will inspect tomorrow and see. I know it isn't the cooler lines - those are brand new as of about a year ago. Adapter gasket, I suppose, is a possibility.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:42 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Yeah, there's one in West Palm Beach. I'm heading down.

Fan shroud from Grimace on the car now. Seems to be okay now, except for the oil leak. Will inspect tomorrow and see. I know it isn't the cooler lines - those are brand new as of about a year ago. Adapter gasket, I suppose, is a possibility.

adapter gasket can fail because of the heat,.
get the updated dorman,. its a thicker aluminum/paper gasket,.part number above

you visually verified beyond all doubt its not the lines leaking at the adapter?

i,m just saying,......

Last edited by phantom 309 on Fri May 24, 2013 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Will do.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:46 pm

And,. the other thing i was going to mention about the engine "noise"
perhaps slip the belt off and run the car at idle and above for a minut of so, perhaps its a waterpump bearing/broken impeller,. p/s pump,. alt,..yada yada,.

do it when the motors cold,.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:48 pm

I could leave the belt on and check those parts with a mechanic's stethoscope too, right? That's how I found out my AIR pump was going south.

Hmmm...

*adds to list*
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 9:38 am

Or, you could take a second and take the belt off and see if the noise is gone with no accessories moving. Wink

I too, was going to suggest the water pump bearing getting fried.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 11:28 am

phantom 309 wrote:
And,. the other thing i was going to mention about the engine "noise"
perhaps slip the belt off and run the car at idle and above for a minut of so, perhaps its a waterpump bearing/broken impeller,. p/s pump,. alt,..yada yada,.

do it when the motors cold,.

I find recordings tend to distort sounds, but that's pretty much what I thought when I just listened to the clip -- that sounds like an accessory bearing rattling around. Perhaps the belt tensioner.

And yes, a mechanic's stethoscope is a great way to isolate and identify the location of a noise, but be very careful using one in the neighbourhood of the fan belt!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 11:31 am

You know, I did notice the tensioner jumping a little bit when I looked at it running last.

I'll swap the one from Grimace and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Don't swap..... ISOLATE. you need to remove the belts to replace the tensioner anyway, just run the car without the belt for a min or so and see what happens. Worst case is that nothing changes.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 1:03 am

What he ^^^^ said! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 8:26 am

X3
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 8:38 pm

So, what's the latest?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
So, what's the latest?

He's driving it around. Thinking about how he should diagnose it. And not listening to any of our suggestions. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roo Wagon Down again
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next