GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.

Go down 
+22
a1awind
Sprocket
s1l1sc
Bull
TylerW
buickwagon
etsfl
bigbluey88
95BRMW
lakeffect
brokecello
Wagoninabox
phantom 309
toomanytoyz
Roadagon
buickestate
sherlock9c1
benn
COL
lornejay1
silverfox103
81X11
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
seanu

seanu

Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:30 am

By the way, my red RMS in my sig has a 2.56 posi and will smoke the tires! When my trans was working good (no second gear now) it would churp the tires when under a hard throttle shifting into second! So I don't think 2.56 gears seem "sluggish".

I have a used trans to put in...but just haven't gotten around to doing it. Also thinking about just having the other one rebuilt before putting it in...so to save the headache of possibly having to do it again soon.
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 4:54 pm

I don't know what I'd do. On the one hand, that wagon seems to be really clean and the majority of what it needs is just piddly stuff. And of course, the owner seems to be a pretty good guy...he could just as easily have said "well, it's yours now!" and left you there. I'm impressed by how he stepped up to the plate when things went sour.

Given that he doesn't feel he can come down on the price, the transmission could go again, and the rear end gearing isn't really what you want...it would be very hard for me to say "go for it". On the other hand, if he'd take $2500 and you could get a line on a cheap working transmission (yeah, I know, keep dreaming)...
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 5:47 pm

I've let that car go and decided to be wagonless for a while. Helping Eddie fix up that K5 Blazer right now. Power window fixed, have all the tune-up stuff, and going to sort out the a/c, then get it registered and on the road. Hopefully will have it road-legal next week.

It's a rust-bucket but my kiddo is thrilled that I'm working on it. Also messing with my old boat and Dad's Camaro. I'm not bored!!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
cdcdguy

cdcdguy

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 5:47 am

Mike- Glad you passed on this one. The power issues possibly caused by the transmission problems. The LT1 is a powerful engine. I have the sedan, so it might be slightly lighter, but once off line the car is quite fast. I have never driven the smaller engine in your past OCC, but wait for a good Roadmaster, and you will remember the power of your old one.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 11:26 am

Spoke to the seller on this one...again. His mechanic friend has still not even started working on it...car is just sitting there.

So knowing this car needs a transmission, and I would want to swap in a lower-geared rear axle, and I need to fix the roller on both back windows....I'm considering making a lowball offer on it, but do not want to offend the seller (who is a nice older guy and I'd previously handed $3100 to, and then had him hand it back to me when the trans died).

The body, paint, and interior are really nice on this car. Zero-rust Texas native car. Engine runs smooth. Re-paint the pecked-up hood and the trim around the wood, add some Impala wheels and window tint, and this car would no-kidding look as nice as my last Roadmaster.

So you tell me, would you think he would be offended if I offered him $1500 for it? I've located a trailer. I just can't bring myself to pay more than $1500 knowing all the work it would need to make it "right" for me....

That said, I like the white and love the red interior. And cars this clean and solid just do not pop up much....

Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 994822_10201553106500207_296988432_n
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Start from the $3100 he wanted.  If I remember correctly he knocked $500 off with the transmission problems; he would take care of the tranny and you'd have it in a week.  Down to $2600.  It's apparent that the guy, he works with, is not going to be able to fix it, as it hasn't moved.  He also screwed the job up once.

To R & R a tranny is $500, plus the used tranny $150 to $300.  If you have it rebuilt, I'm sure that's $1500 to $2000.  To fix the windows, probably has a value of $100 each.  To flatbed it home, has a cost also; and it is your second trip.  I would say $1600 is pretty fair.  You probably have a little wiggle room to sweeten the pot a couple of hundred.

On the other side, the guy that rebuilt the tranny, owes it to the owner to make it right.  Maybe the owner can get some of the rebuild money back and wash his hands of it.

My 2 cents:  offer him $1600, and if necessary go to $1800.  No more.

Tom
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks for the imput. I know if it was my car and this happened to me, I'd want it fixed and then would re-list it back at my original price once it's on the road again...but then I don't know if his "buddy" is going to fix it. Might be worth it to him just to be rid of the car.

We'll see.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Give him a call. It doesn't hurt to give him offer and kind of explain your reasoning.

tom
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 5:23 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Give him a call.  It doesn't hurt to give him offer and kind of explain your reasoning.

tom

I may do that. We'll see...

I really miss having a wagon.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Mike,

If you offer him more than $1,000 you should open a charity. It's a 20 year old car with no transmission - many hours away, jacked up windows, a useless (to you) rear end, and it needs paint work.

With no motor or trans, it's a clean $500 shell. Value the current motor at $500 and you're done.

Also - he didn't even want the car when he thought it was right. Now he knows it isn't and it's at someone else's house who has no intention of RE-half assing a repair, which means he'd love nothing more than to have this dung heap of a mess out of his life more than ever.

Also Also, Play it smart - plead your case and let him lowball himself. There's no reason to offer more money than what someone would have sold it to you for if you'd have just asked first. Nobody, and I mean NO BUDDY is so nice that I'd volunteer to overpay them for the privilege of buying their POS that I had to haul home.

It's not THAT rare and he'd probably THANK YOU for giving him the thousand.

Good luck not being your own worst enemy on this one, because it sounds like your a lousy negotiator. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 8:21 pm

I'd agree with Bewber on that.
You aren't a charitable organization doing rehab on old cars. I wouldn't pay more than $1000.00 for a car that old, that needs a new tranny.

Is it really worth $500.00 more to you just to have a wagon again. Think of what you can buy for the car with that extra $500.00

Dave

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 11:13 pm

The guys are all right about this wagon,no more than 1250 thought.Tell him you want the car but you dont trust his transmission guy.Tell him this would be a "no questions asked and no warranty"with no hassles no matter what happens.Dont worry about offending him,you are doing him a favor buying his wagon anyway.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 8:02 am

Bewbs is on the money,.

Me personally.,. I,d move on,.

If i were the seller and you called me,. i,d know you want the car, and i,d negotiate from a position of strength.

After you buy your next wagon and you're all excited,. this one will come back to you, and you won't want it,.

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 9:58 am

The key is convincing the seller why he should sell it to you at such a low price. Find his value proposition and speak to that:
1. Get rid of the headache of having the car in limbo.
2. No more having to deal with the "mechanic"
3. The car is going to a nice home.
4. You already have the transport arrangements lined up. NO EFFORT on his part.
5. Any other buyer of the car will likely put up lots of fuss over things.
6. How long will this drag out? This gives him an out NOW.

Yeah, it's a financial hit for him, stuff happens. This is an opportunity for him to move forward.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks for all the comments. As clean as this car is, both inside and out, I'd think it was worth $1500. That said, I'm going to let it stew a little while. I figure if I call him in a week or two, and the car is still sitting, he'll really want to let it go.

We shall see. And like you all have said, another car may pop up. I'd still really like a DGGM or black cherry one.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Now that I think of it, I think John and Dave are correct!

Mike, the old wagon (RMW) is gone. Forget about trying to recreate it. It's like being jilted by an old girlfriend, and you're trying to find one that looks exactly like her. Time to move on from the white anyways.

Mike, with all your CL skills, you could find one anytime you want. Start looking.

Tom

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Tom,he never stopped looking for wagons since sold his white roady!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.   Dissapointed in Dallas.   Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dissapointed in Dallas. Yesterday somewhat sucked.... I'm wagonless today.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2