GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes

Go down 
+4
benn
95BRMW
phantom 309
Wagoninabox
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Empty
PostSubject: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 1:23 am

Howdy All-

Recently had most of the interior out for water leak tests and sealing.  Thought I would do a few small mods while things were out.

I always like the Cadillac's glowing "Night Eyes" in the back passenger headliner.  I pulled a couple of sets to mount them in the Roady.  Interestingly, the elongated pass-thru holes that hold the rubber grommet for these sets are already on our wagons!  See photo below.

Fibr OpiFacty Buytl Seal photo FiberOpticFactoryseal.png
You will notice the slight indent above the taillight hole; that is some buytl tape applied at the factory and painted over.

Fiber Optic hole opened up photo FiberOpticopenhole.png
I popped the tape off and the grommet that is on the fiber optic cable from the Caddy pops right in tightly and perfectly!

It was just a matter of drilling holes in the exact same place on both rear taillights as close to the bulb as possible so they glow at night.  

I SEM painted the night eyes holder to my interior color and attached to the headliner dead-center just in front of the top wiper motor plastic trim piece.  It really looks factory.

Installled Night Eyes photo FiberopticNightEyes.png

I gathered several versions of the night eyes holders from different years of Cadillacs.  The one I choose is the second from the smallest stand alone version.  Some of the versions were incorporated into banded trim and would not work as a stand alone piece.  If I had to do it over, I would get the smaller one than this as it does not need to be large to be impactful as the red lenses are all the same size anyway.

I recently had a chance to take her out on a 1500 mile trip and at night time it is neat to look back and see the glowing eyes.  And of course they flash brighter with your turn signals too.

Yes, completely unnecessary mod but just one of those "I wonder what it would look like in a wagon" things......
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 7:08 am

That really is cool....well done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 8:19 am

Awesome.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 8:20 am

Nice work!
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 6:20 pm

Nicely done!!

...so what do they do?? Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 1:01 am

Great idea and looks easy too!Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 1:07 am

benn wrote:
Nicely done!!

...so what do they do?? Lol
They quickly let you know if you have a brake light out. They light up when you step on the brakes, so you can look in the rear view mirror.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 12:34 pm

Cool mod, I like it. (and yes unnecessary, but what the heck?)
Pete
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 11:48 pm

Interesting. Got a shot from further away?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 4:12 pm

I like this, now how about the front fender ones?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 5:09 pm

Fantastic mod!   Had these along with the front fender optic lights on my '89 Olds Custom Cruiser, and have missed them.

Will add this to my "projects" list!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 12:16 am

autoarcheologist wrote:
Interesting.  Got a shot from further away?

Hard to get a great photo with cell phone camera, but here is a shot from the front seat.  The glow red softly at night and get brighter when turn signals or brake lights applied.

Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes 000f45ce-6a8d-4bb5-b4d1-d6a882ca098f
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 12:18 am

buickestate wrote:
I like this, now how about the front fender ones?

Been there, done that....
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t10094-fender-mounted-turn-indicators-mod?highlight=front+fender+turn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes   Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Installed Cadilliac Fiber Optic Night Eyes
Page 1 of 1