GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shift indicator wire broken.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Shift indicator wire broken. Empty
PostSubject: Shift indicator wire broken.   Shift indicator wire broken. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 10:25 pm

The shift indicator wire on my 93 Fleetwood broke. This is a 3 part question: #1-same part on Roadmaster, Fleetwood, Caprice? #2-I have the all the relevant dash trim off, and can plainly see the cluster. There are 4 8mm. bolts that I took out, and the cluster didn't budge. Sprocket did this several years ago, and thinks I just can pull it out, but isn't 100% sure. Anyone 100% sure? #3-once the cluster is out, and I find an indicator wire, I assume I can just bolt it onto my cluster? Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Shift indicator wire broken.   Shift indicator wire broken. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 10:37 pm

Mark

I've had the Roadmaster and Caprice both apart, but never had to repair them. I know "jayoldschool" can help you. He is on this forum and the Cadillac forum.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Shift indicator wire broken.   Shift indicator wire broken. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Thanks Tom.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Shift indicator wire broken.   Shift indicator wire broken. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 12:36 am

There is a cable that hooks to a sliding marker, goes around the column, and clips to it. Be careful working on it, you can easily scratch the paint on the back side of the cluster face, and the mark will show through. It is probably broken, or loose. I believe the cable is unique to the FW. The 91-93 Caprice, OCC, and RM are the same. After that the clusters are different, and they are a different length. Since the FW is also different, it is probably different as well. The length is the difference, and you could possibly just adapt one to the FW. It has a loop on the end, that hooks to the slider.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Shift indicator wire broken.   Shift indicator wire broken. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 12:45 am

Fred, does the cluster pull out after I take out the 4 8mm. bolts?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Shift indicator wire broken.   Shift indicator wire broken. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 1:16 am

It should. I pulled one, and it came out that way. The pins are a little tight, so you may have to work on it a little. If the cable is attached to the column, remove it before you yank on the cluster. There is a clip on the left side of the collar that rotates with the shift lever. You probably need to put the wheel, and shift lever in the down position to get the cluster out.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Shift indicator wire broken.   Shift indicator wire broken. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 1:23 am

PS. The tang that the loop in the cable hooks to on the slider may be broken. If that is so, you can remove the slider, but you will have to get another one. The slider may be the same as the ones in the B body clusters. Again if you are going to mess with it, be careful to not scratch the paint on the back side of the cluster face. It might be easier to replace the face of the cluster than to try to fix a broken shift position slider. You might be able to just swap the odometer with to a donor cluster.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Shift indicator wire broken.   Shift indicator wire broken. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 10:37 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The slider may be the same as the ones in the B body clusters.

They are the same. I repaired my FW one with one from a different B body and the FW one was shorter so I tied a knot in the new one and had to move where I clipped it to the column to get it right, but works fine.

Changing it on the cluster side was straightforward as I recall.

I broke mine when I forgot to remove the clip off the column and dropped the column to change out the dimmer switch (for the third time)...DOH!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shift indicator wire broken.   Shift indicator wire broken. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shift indicator wire broken.
Page 1 of 1