GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wagonfest '10 & '11

Go down 
+33
jasonlachapelle
1993 Roady-man
Nick Danger
tailpipe
bdubsee
jeffracer
stockfornow
mtrhead79
buickestate
crazyboutwagons
Big Pimpin'
Krzdimond
Steve Smith
81X11
convert2diesel
jayoldschool
toomanytoyz
lornejay1
sherlock9c1
phantom 309
Cadet57
95BRMW
DBeaSSt
Ruphraxe
lakeffect
Sprocket
94X2
silverfox103
a1awind
brokecello
Bewber
BigBlackBeaSSt
200OZ
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 9:07 pm

I'm up for wherever it is next year and will help when and where I can, just like anyone on here. Smile

But I gotta say that I do agree with John, too. We may not want to start taking ourselves so seriously. This is a car club and is supposed to be fun. We don't need the tension and animosity here. We're all friends and we're just trying to find a spot to get the families together and hang out for a couple days and enjoy each other's company.

So some of you need to take it down a few notches, like seriously.

And let's get back to having fun!

And as far as the ECIRS stuff goes, I think what Joel was trying to say was some of those guys would like to come to the fest, but that's second to their local club and racing ties, so they have to miss it. If we work WITH them, they would have the opportunity to hang out with us if they wanted to. I know a lot of wagon "kooks" here have no desire to race their longroof, and I'm cool with that. Besides, that'd just be silly anyways. Wink

I'd be up for WF2K11 in Waterloo again. It's familiar and is always a great time. I'm just not close enough to be able to assist in planning it, so that's really easy for me to say. Wink There are pluses and minuses for having it there, just like there are for having it in Mike's backyard, or John's, or Mine or whoever's... But if we set a location and a date, there will be plenty of fat asses lined up in rows with their gates down and their owners socializing, regardless of where it is. Smile
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 9:22 pm

brokecello wrote:
Some people are just not able to make the trek to NY, and I was just trying to create that same WagonFest spirit in a more accessible location for some.
I just could not go to NY that year and I knew there were others in the same boat.

Chris

Chris, Thank you for bringing up a very valid point.

To expand on that thought, as you point out, not everyone is going to make it to the "only" Wagonfestering event. The reality is that no one single event in one little corner of this huge country is ever going to get all forum members to it. That just isn't the way life works out, because we all know sh!t happens.

Take a moment and look at the forum member list, Sort it by number of posts.

At the time of this posting, the most active "Top 50" has people with less than 40 posts on it. The "Top 100" goes down to 25 people with less than 20 posts, some barely 10. Currently ,there is over 150 "members" with ONE or less posts! The point is we aren't a big group even on a good day. If someone was to compare who came to the past two Wagonfesterings, I'd be willing to bet the vast majority came from the top fifty posters.

Reality is that some people are going to believe that weddings and graduations, reunions, demands of spouses, family and jobs might actually be more important and take precedence over a bunch of people opening the hoods of station wagons someplace else in the country. And now consider the cost of traipsing around the countryside for a cross country trip on top of that. And that's OK, because that is reality.

But the good thing here to consider is that more events where ever they may be, and by whoever sponsors them is to give all of us other opportunities and other times, maybe even closer to home, to share our friendship. It's all a good thing and can only stand to promote our personal interests in it the hobby further.I want to publicly thank Fred for all he's done for us, and for me
personally. At the same time, I'm sure Fred would be the last person
who would want to limit our activity.

So I'm all for other having events, in other parts of the country, at different times of year, different themes and point to attract us, but bound together by the brotherhood we share in this forum.

Last edited by lakeffect on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 10:23 pm

I hope the regulars all come to waterloo next year,. and mebbe with the idea we all need to pitch in to do the cooking and the dishes,.
There has always been folks that have trekked half way across the country to be a part of "wagonfest" Hope it stays that way,.
Hope it doesn't turn out that folks need to choose 1 venue or another for economic reasons,.or logistical reasons either,,.
Folks that waited to hear from Fred before adding their opinions,.did so out of respect for the already established tradition and location of wagonfest,Fred was always the charismatic catalyst that made wagonfest what it WAS,.
Now it has been proven that wagonfest will go on with a group of enthusiasts, rather than a single character. I think now people may not be so reserved when it comes to voicing their opinions. I also hope we can cut back on the opinions of those who,ve yet to attend any wagon gathering,.good idea's i think will always be welcomed, along with enthusiastic volunteers,.and the knowledge that the next wagonfest will need to carried on the shoulders of everyone rather than a few.

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 10:39 pm

"I also hope we can cut back on the opinions of those who,ve yet to attend any wagon gathering"

I personally take offense to that. That's just not right. New members have feasible ideas just like almost everybody else. Granted, I'm not "new" in that sense, but I wasn't able to make it to WF. So because I didn't have the money to make it up there, I'm worthless?

That's not cool bro. I'm sure that isn't what you meant (or how you meant it) but that could easily be misconstrued.

My (hopefully valid) $.02
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 10:40 pm

Very well said, Nick.

I have not commented at all since I can't attend WF anymore on the last weekend of July due to a conflict with my vacation home in Maine. I had a great time last year when I finally made the trip (solo) after years of Nick telling me to go. I wish I could be there every year. If there is ever discussion of moving it earlier in July (or later in August), I'll vote!

Jason.
Back to top Go down
Ruphraxe

Ruphraxe

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 am

I am humbly honored that many wanted my input, but understand that I am a total advocate of Nick's view - WagonFest goes on! I was SO afraid it might stop with my departure, and am SO grateful that Joel and Mike L. and everyone stepped up, and that while I advocate it being in/near Waterloo on the last Saturday in July, I really don't care that much except that it HAPPENS somewhere in the northeast in a manner that is possible for the hosts to manage. If Joel/Mike can't make Waterloo work, then it is wherever the HOSTS have it. And it'll be a blast, dammit! tongue

John: Your unnamed event is (unless you want something else) is indeed WagonFest Midwest 2011. And *sniff* I love you, too, man. Stay away from my wife. I love you

Clearly, no tie-breaker "panel" is needed with this decision - first to step up (you) meets all the criteria mentioned - enthusiasm and love of the cars, competence (okay, giving you the benefit, only because of who married you) to conduct the event, resources (lots of wagon and GM guys there to help) and a TOTALLY appropriate venue and time (you're being considerate of not conflicting with other WAGON events.)

ECIRS race is only 15 miles closer than Seneca Lake State Park - if hittong both events is important to the hosts, I recommend moving the event closer to the track.

SOME mechanism (panel "electorate" is easier than popular vote - just ask Al Gore) is needed for preventing conflicts, both personal and organizational. Maybe you're right - maybe I should just be the "organizer" of multiple WF's - keep a calendar, share resources, plead for help, and keep the suicide hotline phone number handy. You're right - I'll throw my hat in the ring, for the sake of history.

Mike P: I think south of Maryland qualifies as southeast. Again, if YOU are willing to host and members are confident you'll pull it off, (and they would!) who would propose an event that conflicts? And if someone later wants a WF in Florida (in winter, I hope, too, Sprocket!) then there might be MORE than five WF's!

If there are MORE than five WF's, that's okay! I only envisioned a minimum (a vision, not a mandate) and as long as one WF doesn't rain on another's, great! I mean, we're all adults here, right?

And thanks for re-iterating that a true club is a long way off at best, a perverted fantasy at worst.

Dave B: I will share all any time, but I don't plan on NOT being involved any time soon. If the hosts of the NE WF want it, I'll gladly share.

And thanks for reiterating the 80/20 rule - 80% of the input comes from 20% of the members

Lorne and Joel: If there are more than 2-3 wagons lost at WF to the race, I'd be surprised. But if the host of the show feels that considering the races is really important, that's up to the host. And if the results are poor or improved because of it, lesson learned for next time. BUT, for five years nearly 100 people a year have that date reserved.

Chris and Verb: Chris didn't need my permission anyway - Crovo came up with the WagonFest name!

Nick: Well said, too - I WANTED to see this move from ME to US to ensure the survival of WF.

Stingroo: Your input is appreciated by many, Keep it coming - the new members will be what drives the success of additional WF's.

Jay: This is the best part of all this - if you can't make the NE WF, go to Flint!

See my next post about the "Panel" - I think it might be a good solution.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks Fred!!!!!
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 2:51 pm

Good points made by all. I especially agree with the sentiments stated by Nick and Fred.

Like many of you, I have looked forward to WF every year for the past four. Unfortunately, for personal reasons (two years ago they wouldn't let me across the border and this year I couldn't swing the logistics) I have missed the last two years. Next year will be different though I no longer have a wagon I would let anyone see. You'll just have to be happy with another grey Cadillac. Sort of "Peoples Choice Sedan's" older, uglier cousin. Still plan on stuffing a diesel into it but that looks like it may be put off for a while.

I am glad we are working out the problems in a sane normal matter. It really would be a shame to lose the original. Have no problems with multiple WFs as long as one doesn't detract from any other. If the Southern one happens in April, and you will allow a guy with a truck, that would be great.

In the process of findng a truck to haul the RV around (after 26 years I discovered Carol really likes trucks...go figure) so I will make myself available a couple of days early next year. So if anything has to be lugged around, at least we won't have to use the cars.

I also agree with the formation of a "steerage commitee" to oversee the various events. It has been my experience that when iit comes to this kind of thing, a benevolent dictator works better then democratic rule. As long as the result is something that the majority can participate in, and have fun doing so, then is this not what we are all looking for?

Bill
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 4:05 pm

I guess I have to admit to myself that although I have a great passion for these wagons and the members here who have really made this a great forum,My being absent from the past two fests basically makes any suggestions mute.

That is OK,I am a person who doesn't fish for compliments ,I do what I do for my own reasons.

So I want to be clear that I will go wherever the event is,and be supportive to the Host (s)

If I can be there prior,you got me for free labor,and if not,I will see that a generous donation is left for those who earned it. I like doing restaurant certificates,and a nice get together for the organizers is always apprreciated after the circus leaves town.

No hard feelings John,just a simple misunderstanding. Your event will have whatever flavor you choose,we are all invited, say no more.

I honestly thought there may be some ECRIS members who own wagons who aren't able to do WF due to their commitment.

When you posted, I then took it as a "few" wagon owners want to se the races.

Fred you summed it up best,the host has the final say. It hit me when I remembered my wife standing in a dirt bowl,watching b bodys being destroyed. That after she was in the back seat of John's wagon doing a burnout. That cost me dearly at the malls.

Would anyone really vote for that at any event? But there we all were ,cause thats what the host said we were going to do . scratch

So no more from me,give me the directions,and I hope to see all of you in 2011. Lorne.

Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 5:47 pm

I could see WF Canada in late May/early June, and WF New England on the long weekend in October... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 7:41 pm

I have an idea for WF Florida. You all buy a rust free wagon in FL, we'll store 'em down here then you can all fly down and pick them up in the winter when the weather is nice Smile

Seriously though, I hope to eventually get something going for the Deep South, hopefully with the help of some of the central/north Florida boys. just har right now with the 6 day work week Sad
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 9:09 pm

A few months ago, I had mistakenly thought that this year's Festering was going to be the 24th of July, rather than the 31st. The aspect of that I was hoping for was that Geneva (the city to your west of the WFsite) had an annual festival ongoing, a part of which was a car show on the bricks during Friday night July 23rd. I thought I was going to be able to reserve some spaces for us, but obvioulsy was the wrong weekend.

ECIRS series. I'm not sure how many of those guys have wagons that would come up our way, or locals who would hang with us. RAISSE is the local club. I'll make contact with Dave Servati, a forum member here as dservati1. He has a wagon, unsure of others. I would like to take Shammoo to ECIRS for shits and giggles, but dig my WF event more. I can appreciate someone In RAISSE having the reverse sentimentality.

So a date swap to one weekend earlier for WF Northeast 2011 might provide the opportunity for added local events and added vehicles to WF.

Your thoughts are welcome.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 9:41 pm

lakeffect wrote:
ECIRS series. I'm not sure how many of those guys have wagons that would come up our way, or locals who would hang with us. RAISSE is the local club. I'll make contact with Dave Servati, a forum member here as dservati1. He has a wagon, unsure of others. I would like to take Shammoo to ECIRS for shits and giggles, but dig my WF event more. I can appreciate someone In RAISSE having the reverse sentimentality.

Dave (dservati) attended a couple WagonFests and I seem to recall organized one of the earlier excursions to a track on Friday night right?
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 10:15 pm

If they would be willing to host the ECIRS race on a Sunday, that's probably the best compromise between the two events. A number of those guys own wagons, actually.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 pm

I think its best to keep in mind what the majority want, rather than changing things around for a select few,.drawing on some of my past experiences regarding organising events, if there is too much attention paid to individuals, the process becomes distorted and fragmented,.trying to please everyone is an impossible task,. numbers, percentages, these need to be considered before any aspect of a venue is changed,. working with a possible 40-50 cars,.
re-arranging to accomodate 2-5, thats a small percentage,. 10-15 is a different story,.
Lets try to focus, and preserve an already popular proven event in its original form.
as they say,. "It is, what it is."
Jmho

Onto another point, regarding opinions etc,. after you,ve actually made the effort to participate in at least one or more wagonfests,. i,d sort of consider that paying your dues so to speak, earining your stripes etc, and earning you the right to be involved in any discussions regarding changes or volunteering etc,. Almost like paying your ante before you can enter the game,.typing into a keyboard takes little to no effort, but yet can cause dissent and uncertainty, If there is a dedicated commitment to the event demostrated by actual participation, then the typed opinions and idea's have more weight behind them.
Having said that, any new or constructive idea's to be discussed, should be welcomed from everyone or anyone.

again, JMHO

Nick
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 11:52 pm

Ruphraxe wrote:

NORTHEAST FEST: As for the northeast Fest, I'd like to see it remain the last Saturday of July. The biggest reasons I advocate keeping it where it is have little to do with sentimentality. Finding a hotel tolerant of the parking lot pre-Fest is a challenge to say the least, and the Microtel is a known friend. Canandaigua tends to be more uppity, and would likely call the cops on everyone! Keeping it near something free or cheap for kids (like the Spraypark - $8 for a carful) is another reason. Roseland is $17-22 a head for the day for each kid, and you can't be at the same place as the car show. Keeping it in a relatively rural setting with easy interstate access improves attendance and (though fewer locals might see it) to facilitate a cruise - hard to keep 20-30 cars together in Canandaigua. Also, I'm sure Stu or another friend Dave would let you use a shop as a pre-gathering tech place. The pre-Fest (and post-Fest!) beer Fest, pre-Fest tech stuff, familiar surroundings for the many repeat Festers that come to comfort those who are new, proximity to Mac's Drive-In (cheap eats that y'all forgot about this year) and parking for several hundred cars (in case more than 50 show up and where do the other park-goers park?) and that the park manager knows us (and the Fest) and is less strict and more helpful than most NYS employees, are all the best reasons to see it stay where it is.

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Hey everyone, you've probably noticed I've been REALLY quiet about all of this. I didn't want to say anything until Mike L and I had a chance to talk things over about how WF10 went and then look at a bunch of different options for a NY wagonfest in 2011. We have been looking at a number of locations and venues between Rochester and Syracuse, NY and looked at as many of the tradeoffs as we could. We ended up not being able to make a stronger case for having the fest anywhere else besides where it is now. I don't have time to explain all the details but I'll just say that the WF10 overall venue setup was hard to beat when you factor everything in.

So, with that, I am pleased to announce (with Mike L's blessing) that Mike and I would be willing to again host a Wagonfest at Seneca Lake State Park (the same place as WF10). The format would be similar. The only thing we don't have nailed down yet is the exact weekend. It will still be in July, just not sure exactly which weekend. There are some nearby events going on that we want to synchronize with, and as soon as we have dates from them, we will post an official WF11NY date it so you can make/adjust hotel reservations accordingly.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 8:35 am

Count me in!
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 8:40 am

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Hey everyone, you've probably noticed I've been REALLY quiet about all of this. I didn't want to say anything until Mike L and I had a chance to talk things over about how WF10 went and then look at a bunch of different options for a NY wagonfest in 2011. We have been looking at a number of locations and venues between Rochester and Syracuse, NY and looked at as many of the tradeoffs as we could. We ended up not being able to make a stronger case for having the fest anywhere else besides where it is now. I don't have time to explain all the details but I'll just say that the WF10 overall venue setup was hard to beat when you factor everything in.

So, with that, I am pleased to announce (with Mike L's blessing) that Mike and I would be willing to again host a Wagonfest at Seneca Lake State Park (the same place as WF10). The format would be similar. The only thing we don't have nailed down yet is the exact weekend. It will still be in July, just not sure exactly which weekend. There are some nearby events going on that we want to synchronize with, and as soon as we have dates from them, we will post an official WF11NY date it so you can make/adjust hotel reservations accordingly.

Once that date is set, I'll be putting it on my calendar!
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 8:42 am

I'm going to create a new thread which will be locked and sticky-ed on this section. In it, I will list the dates and locations for the 2011 WagonFest's as they are posted.

I will be attempting to host the first SouthEast WagonFest near me in Virginia. Details will be posted as they are firmed up.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 10:04 am

I might could make that one. Where will it be? I've driving from Austin to just east Knoxville in a single day....was a long day, but can be done.

Fingers are crossed!
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 10:30 am

I think the idea of multiple fests is great and hope all events are a success but I am a realist.

IMO there can only be one real W/F per summer, and all other gatherings will simply be like the one Tom organizes in the Fall. The numbers just aren't there.

Just look at all the members who have to make vacation arangements to attend the ones in the past,and thats the biggest gathering.

Do you really think they can do it two or even three times a year?

So if we are going to start annual regional fests,then of course everyone will pick the one closest,which means I may need to make choices if I want to see Mike,Chris,Robert and others, or Joel,Nick,Pat John,....

I guess my question is, At what number does the gathering warrant fest status?

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 10:33 am

I just think it would be neat to see another station wagon period.....well one that isn't 2-steps from the salvage yard or hauling paint cans and lumber and towing a trailer full of lawnmovers and yard equipment. ; )
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 10:40 am

lornejay1 wrote:

I guess my question is, At what number does the gathering warrant fest status?

At this point Lorne we're looking at regional events more than numbers of cars. Sure the Fest's outside the original won't be as big, perhaps for several years even. But we can start to grow interest around the country. Time will tell!
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 11:05 am

I understand the intent Mike.

My concern is you will put on a great event in VA,which I know my wife and I would love to attend as we both always say it is probably our favourite State.

But then we would not see you and the other southern members in the existing location and it would soon suffer without you guys. And I wouldn't blame you either.

The old united we stand,divided we fall theory is what I hope doesn't happen.

Is it possible to post a map of the members locations to have a beter geographical picture of just how spread out we all are?
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Making a map like that is always possible, but I'm not sure what level of value or usefullness it'd have.

Making such a map will only identify the locations of those who've already openly identified themselves, and we don't know how many lurkers would attend. It's a case of "we don't know what/who we don't know". For example, this year I had the pleasure of hanging out and camping with the new guy, Splinters, and his family. He created a login for this site the day before the fest - but admitted to being a lurker for months - and I've had that same experience MANY times at national impala meets all over the country as well.

One of the things that I'm sure will help make sure we aren't divided, Lorne, is the point that Fred made about each event having it's own personality based on the host and city of origin. If EVERY fest was in a park with a pavilion next to a lake - followed by a relaxing cruise through the sticks, then I could see a problem with people only choosing the one closest to them and NONE of the others. Even if others DO follow that same format - I know for a fact that a ride through the hills in Virginia when the leaves are changing color (or colour Smile) will be something that will be VERY different than a ride through upstate NY in the summer. I lived (hid out) in Virginia for 6 months to get out of planning ANY part of my own wedding and it too is my favorite state.

That been said, since Flint and Waterloo have almost identical seasons and weather and that famous Waterloo format IS going to be offered - I now feel MUCH less obligated to follow suit. I'm now kind of leaning away from the "all day at the park with a pavilion and a splash pad" format in favor of something that allows us to experience more of the gearhead activities and style of cruising that happen here at that time. I had no problem providing that Waterloo setup as long as there wasn't a Waterloo event planned - but now that there is, I think that making mine identical to that one would actually be detrimental to both.

Dividing our group was NEVER my intention, and you can be sure that the members of that secret wagonfest planning society will also do their best to make sure such divisions continue to be avoided as more fests are planned.

As far as the measuring stick for success, I'm sure nobody hosting a new fest expects a turnout of 50 rides. I'm going into this without any real expectations of turnout. My take is that if I get to hang out with a bunch of my wagon friends and we share a great time checking out thousands of cool cars that weekend, well I'd be hard pressed to consider that a failure. If we build to ANYTHING that is measured with a "tens" column, that'd be absolutely bitchin.

Next weekend is the Back to the Bricks here and the Midwest WagonFest will be here exactly a year after that. This year will be a "dry run" for Pat and myself to take lots of pics, movies, and general promotional propaganda to tease everybody with over the next 12 months - and I think it'll go a long way to show just what a different time the same people can have while still being dedicated "Festers".

Also, I thought that Nick gave an outstanding explaination concerning "street cred" and how much "weight" someones opinion can expect to carry. That been said, I do get that we're a national forum discussing an event that's been primarily experienced on a regional level - and I'd hate to have a good idea or valid concern fail to be expressed because a member who couldn't previously attend a fest didn't feel valued enough to do so. Please, everyone, feel free to share - just don't get mad if your idea doesn't get used, etc.

As an example - Lorne had some valid concerns. I didn't choose to attempt addressing them because I've partied with him at a fest and I know him. I did so because they are legit, and I'm sure he's not the only one with those same valid concerns.

Anyway, that's my .02.

Have a great weekend and as Jay says, "speed safely". (I love that line.)

John
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Well said John, thank you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Yeah, John hit the nail on the head. It's just like the Florida Caddy meet I hosted. We had 20 or so show interest, but in the end it was only between 8-10 of us (some locals floated in and out). But regardless, we all had a blast, took hundreds of photos, and have stories of our own we can tell about that meet for many more.

It's quality, not quantity. Five or ten guys who get together and have a good time is great. Fifty is epic.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Lorne, if I may...

I think you are implying a false choice. There are the locals, and there are the long haulers. The existing WF crew is a combination of both. I guarantee that if other fests were held in other locales, you'd have an almost completely different crowd of folks, just simply based on distance. A lot of guys would be able to come that previously had not been. It is not a fragmentation, it is a broadening. Look at Fred - in 45 days notice he put together 8 guys that would have never come to a NY wagonfest. It'll work out.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 10:26 pm

John,good novel, best I have read in a while. I was mowing grass on the Earnhardt clone tonite,and actually was wondering how I was going to go to woodward this week.

Marge is in the States with the girls buying our oldest a wedding dress so the mind is wandering.

Joel I totally get the corporate mission statement. Go forth and multiply.

However,lets just say I just joined this forum. I scroll down the list of W/F dates 2011. I pick one check the calendar and plan to go.

All the pictures and posts about W/F in Waterloo are here to view. I naturally assume all W/F are the same,and I don't mean Numbers I mean the event, 2 nites,prizes,food,cause thats what I see on the forum.

I soon find out the one In say, Seattle, is a parking lot in the rain for an afternoon with a dozen wagons. I would be pissed.

I read on the other forum where one guy got up, looked out and saw rain,so went back to bed. That was Freds fest.

There is no nicer undercarriage here than Franks,period, and he drove 6 hrs each way in the rain in 08. He wouldn't be so keen to do that for an afternoon in a parking lot, but W/F is an event not a cruise to the Burger king nite.

We have a National funeral directors convention,and then we have our Association meetings. Big difference in the two.

I think the W/F label needs to be tweaked for accuracy. A continental Breakfast isn't my kind of breakfast but My wife loves them.

In John's case,there is an event within the event,well worth two nites in my opinion. And lets not forget his was initially going to be a replacement for W/F.

I belonged to a Corvette Club in the 80's and 90's. We had trophy cars and we still lost interest. Most of these cars here are drivers,don't dream too big.

Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Reading about the past 2 wagon fests has given me a new goal of what I want to get done on 'ol blue. I'm all in for one of the nights heading out to the closest 1/4 drag strip for a run what ya brung wagon event. Not all owners of these fine wagons are strictly the hang out with the family, drink some beer while socializing with other wagon familys kind of people. While that is fine, some of us still have that young man / teenage boy mentality in our blood to "see what she can do" . I'm more into the whole be proud of your car and talk mods done, plus speed, ride, handling, etc. kinda thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 11:41 pm

I would totally be down for a wagon race day. Just because I know it would bring attention to us, not to mention be awesomely fun.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 5:42 am

I have held my tongue for a couple of reasons, I am one of those "long haulers" - have been for 4 years. I have to plan a weeks vacation to attend. WagonFest is more about friends getting together than a car show. Just look at what/who shows up. Hell, this year we even had a minivan[i]. All were welcomed, not because of the ride, but because of who they are.

I admit, if there was a fest closer, I may not attend the NY one. As my wife said "you take a week off, drive 2 days up, 2 days back, all for a one day show? AND it cost 2 weeks worth of pay (a weeks pay to participate- gas, food, lodging... and a week of no revenue) How many of those New Yorkers would drive all the way down here?....I don't get it." And she never will Very Happy

Point is, this annual thing is a logistical nightmare for me. And I am not alone. Others have expressed interest but cannot swing it either due to financial or logistical reasons. A local (or closer) Fest would bring in new faces of those that can't, or won't drive 1100 miles one way.

I would LOVE to host a get together here in October along with the local festival- which brings in over 350 cars, but I have concerns about "watering it down" when attached to another venue. It then becomes a "while we're here for (whatever), might as well bring the wagon" instead of a dedicated wagon function. But, then again, it's all about the people, right?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 7:33 am

For you newbs, at several past wagonfests, we've planned a friday night drag day, lots of claimed interest, and it's always fizzled out. So the reason we didn't do any of that in 2010 was simply based on prior experience.

I WILL say that if you want to go a very nice B-body event with those sorts of activities, you really need to consider the ISSCA Impala SS Nationals. Drag racing, autocross, road racing, sound-off, car show, and lots of hanging out. I was privileged to be able to attend in 2005 and it was definitely a great experience. Those guys welcome the wagons too. Also Steve, you should check out the East Coast Impala Racing Series. They have races not too far from you.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 9:46 am

I,ve never been to the nationals impala gathering yet,. but i,ve been a member for years and recently re-newed membership, i,d like to try running my blue wagon around the road track,and slalom,.i was at a local meet with it a few years back when it was automatic trans,
it was a corvette club slalom meet, out of 32 cars participating that day, the blue wagon was 11th overall,. certainly was fun busting the balls of the anal retentive corvette owners,

but an event like that comes with larger planning and financial requirements,.
The financial cutbacks seems to have affected everyone in some form or another and its starting to show in participation at the national level for issca,.and they have a far larger membership base ,as i said earlier the individual wants and desires need to be balanced against the wishes of the majority,.
I predict now that the original WF will be a lot smaller in size for 2011, as people will be drawn to closer gatherings and they will not make the effort to trek to waterloo NY
I can read that is in the planning stages already,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 9:56 am

My coments about the trophy club wasn't meant to sound like it was or is all about cars here. Those cars are still in most of the garages,the people won't participate.

If it is all about people,I will use this angle. I belong to an organization here where we put on a monthly Saturday Morning breakfast. Guess what ? Everyone wanted to copy. There was one every weekend,sometimes two.

We are hard pressed to get enopugh out to cook now,and the other copy cats are not doing theirs.

Prove me wrong and I will be the happiest guy here. But honestly,ask the question ,with C4C and the average condition of these whales,lack of parts,.... how many can we honstly say are out there that we haven't seen on CL? How many of those owners are car people?

Nick Posted since I typed the above. Dare I say I agree with the exception,

My vette would have been in the top 10,old man Razz

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 10:46 am

... and there are also some of us out there who will finally get to participate at one of "our" events, because it finally is in reach for a day trip,. where a long haul was already out of the question. As things are being ironed out slowly as to 2011 whens and wheres, I envision Shammoo posssibly taking in three events next year, Michiagan, New York, and Virginia. (Sorry Fred, at 12mpg the West Coast is out.... but I love ya anyway!).

It's doubtful to make Florida or Georgia for that same reason, but what is planned is already three times my past envolvement. Even in recent months I was worried if I'd even get back from AROUND THE BLOCK, much less across town or out of state. PLUS my hopes are to be come reaquainted with the local RAISSE group here in Rochester, and get back to seeing/ participating in the local drag scene with my son.

(NO NICK! We won't be dancing in woman's clothing together. I swear he's not a crossdresser!) Razz

(Might dance with sheep in woman's clothing with a pretty little bell on it's collar but... ..... ....... never mind!) Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 1:44 pm

Guys, I don't know if it's nature, nuture, or some kind of twisted birth defect - but I'm not just a 1991-1996 General Motors B-Body Station Wagon guy. I dig longroofs from all decades and from all manufacturers. Old mopar wagons? Please - you already know. Nobody can hate those. I also dig the G body wagons, I dig magnums, I dig Benz wagons, and how I know it's bad is that I even dig seeing (mumbles) cavalier wagons. If a kid at a gas station asked me what I thought about his oil gulping POS 1990's Saturn suckwagon that he was proud of - I'd pump my fist in the air and return a supportive "Phuckineh brother! YOU KEEP IT UP!" because I know that deep down, HE is just a much less endowed version of US.

My point is that even in the grand scheme of things, a friggin 1995 caprice wagon is probably not even on my list of top 5 most bitchin wagons of all time. I don't go to wagonfest because I'm dying to see Crovo's award winning, custom, european, "sport" bucket seats install. I go to see HIM, and his awesome bride, and their beautiful daughter. I go because it's undeniable that "birds of a feather flock together", Waterloo is the only place where my flock of brothers have been seasonally migrating to, and if I hammer down and things go well at 2 international borders - I can get there in under 10 hours.

The people who make it to Waterloo wagonfests aren't the only wagon guys out there and everyone out there is NOT on this site. There ARE more of us! LOTS more! ALL OVER the place! You can tell because EVERY year you hear the "Dammit I wish I was closer" groans from every OTHER corner of the country. You can tell because several times a week we get a new member who finds this site and is glad to have found a "home" where he finally has a place where he feels "normal" about his chronic wagon fever that nobody else in his life understands.

Having more fests will not only strengthen this 1991-1996 GM B-body community, but it'll also expose our WAGON community to other wagon kooks of all years, makes, and models and hopefully expand the family tree of wagonfest attendees to grow beyond the stick it currently is.

Each wagonfest, including the one here in Flint, will always and obviously be built around THIS community - but I know that every single one of us would welcome any SOB (some other brand) wagon owner who shows up with a friendly, welcoming handshake and an ice cold "pop" to let him know how WE are.

Will broadening the number of events dillute the flock that migrates to waterloo? Who's to say. Maybe there will be three people who choose mine over that one next year. That's totally possible, but I think it's equally plausable that that'd be the year Frank, Lorne, and Diesel Bill (or any other 3) finally get their poop in a group and make their triumphant returns to Waterloo to level it out.

I already know that the fest here will have different faces than Waterloo - and I also already know that I'm inviting every MFr I know/meet with a long roof of ANY year, make, and model to join us. WHY? because it's a WAGONfest dammit - and everybody knows that WAGONS are COOL!

From a big picture standpoint ..... let's say that for whatever reason - in 2015 - Lorne is right and the attendance in Waterloo is down to 40 cars ..... BUTT - and this is a big butt (and I happen to really like big butts) - there are 4-5 other fests in other corners of the country that are UP TO 20-40+ cars, I think that most of us could agree that our community would have shown positive growth, which I'd hope most would also agree that to be a VERY good thing for us all.

I think that if this past month proves ANYTHING, it's actually two things. One is that we're a stong enough and dedicated enough band of dysfunctinal brothers (and one senile dad) that the ORIGINAL fest is safe from ever going away. The other is that there is enough proven interest in other parts of the country for other fests to successfully happen with even SHORT notice. I mean seriously, 10 cars on short notice on a RAINY day is pretty bitchin IMHO.

Again, yous are welcome to disagree, but I see the expansion working out better than "very well". I think it's going to kick ass.

John
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 2:06 pm

I lol'd at "poop in a group."

-Resident Teenager

Otherwise, I totally agree with John on this one. More wagons = more fun!

-Ray
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I lol'd at "poop in a group."

-Resident Teenager -Ray

I'm still trying to figure which one of us is the "senile dad". Suspect I have a hard time remembering important points like that, unless I take my viatmins and Geritol,and ..... HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!
Back to top Go down
Big Pimpin'

Big Pimpin'

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:33 am

I agree with John that all wagons are cool. I've always enjoyed when somebody has brought a non 91-96 B-body. Like the old blue Buick at WF this year, and NorthernClassics big Ford a few years back.

I'm seriously thinking about taking my '81 Zephyr wagon to Flint next year. My '93 White Woody really doesn't get much attention anyway. Why not bring something a little different?
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:46 am

" My '93 White Woody really doesn't get much attention anyway"...........................

All ya need is to put a set of Keystone Klassics steel rims on your wagon, it'll be transformed from a big old grocery getter, to a good looking classic wagon that gets admiration. Thant's exactly what happened to mine.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 12:29 pm

I have a true Mercury Zephyr story to share.

These two walked in the Funeeral Home one Sunday afternoon. They tell me their Mother/Mother in law has died. I start the usual procedure and we discuss arrangements.

When I am done I ask them where she is now,and you guessed it,Out in the car. I look out and I can still seee that Blue Zephyr wagon sitting there affraid

Turns out they were on vacation and just decided to bring her home when she died rather than tell anyone. Only here would that happen.

I still chuckle whenever I see one Derek.

The Fairmonts weren't as exciting.

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 12:35 pm

lornejay1 wrote:

These two walked in the Funeeral Home one Sunday afternoon. They tell me their Mother/Mother in law has died. I start the usual procedure and we discuss arrangements.

When I am done I ask them where she is now,and you guessed it,Out in the car. I look out and I can still seee that Blue Zephyr wagon sitting there affraid

Turns out they were on vacation and just decided to bring her home when she died rather than tell anyone. Only here would that happen.

I still chuckle whenever I see one Derek.

The Fairmonts weren't as exciting.

Why am I reminded of National Lampoon's Vacation? Laughing
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Yep, she should have been up on the roof rack.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 4:32 pm

lornejay1 wrote:
My vette would have been in the top 10,old man Razz
well just maybe it might have,...

if i,d been driving it,..
Back to top Go down
crazyboutwagons

crazyboutwagons

PostSubject: WF_2011   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:59 pm

i have been reading the posts about next year and have been waiting to see what has been happening.'i saw mike"s post about a possable VA wagonfest .i am interested in that one would be close to attend and would still do Waterloo also . just that i would have to plann ealier than this year and save accordingly. WE er disappointed we could not make this year but the econommy really did a number on me personally and just could not swing it as the ISWC trip cost us more than planned then things at work took a drastic turn when we got back and i was a little afraid to take any addtional time off.

WE will be in for the VA fest if it takes place and definatly the Waterloo original as Deb and i have been taking automotive activity vacations since 94 and enjoy them the best.

We have decorated our gameroom completly from things bought at Charlotte Auto Fair,Hershey & Carlisle swapmeets and Antique malls .We are always looking for odd things to add to our collection .Maybe we can add a general swapmeet to the show of anything automotive i am sure i am not the only collector of car related stuff among us.

Just my 2 cents worth
Back to top Go down
Big Pimpin'

Big Pimpin'

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:12 pm

lornejay1 wrote:

That's funny Lorne. A couple of years ago I decorated my Black Zephyr wagon as a hearse for Halloween. Put a dummy in the back in a real body bag and everything. It had strobe lights and a fog machine. it was a big hit with the neighbourhood kids. The pictures I took came out terrible. Here is a link to a poor quality video of it on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1QAPxfYDG0

Sorry for the off topic.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:32 pm

Lorne that story is so wrong on so many levels, the coroner and the police must not have been as understanding as you......

zephers and fairmounts had their appeal, I always thought the futura coupes would have been the ideal bases for making rancheros then I found this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG1XVUUZN7k&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Ruphraxe

Ruphraxe

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 1:28 am

buickestate wrote:
fairmounts

Geez, must you Canadians always add the letter U every outher time you see an O? Smile

Pat, I actually saw one of those Futura pickups at the Harold LeMay museum last weekend and honestly thought of you. I took lots of pics, but not that one. When we go back, I'll get a pic for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wagonfest '10 & '11   Wagonfest '10 & '11 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wagonfest '10 & '11
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next