GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shammoo update

Go down 
+30
benn
stewzer55
silverfox103
BigBlackBeaSSt
bamalongroof
MalibuSSwagon
Fred Kiehl
Andebe
JoeT
JBLTZ
convert2diesel
mtrhead79
buickestate
jimbeau
Olds Weighty Eight
94Woody
1993 Roady-man
Nick Danger
81X11
Cadet57
bigoldv8
sherlock9c1
Bewber
Sprocket
jayoldschool
brokecello
phantom 309
Krzdimond
DBeaSSt
lakeffect
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
lakeffect

lakeffect

Shammoo update - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 8:39 am

Impatience or Insanity?

The sheep have their doubts about me!

Mike, it's more of "In for an inch, in for a mile" (... and NO , I'm not talking about the sheep).
I look at a stock vehicle's dash, and I'd be hesitant to touch it. This car had already been modified (hacked up with a saw) So the mentality is that I'm just modifying things that were already modified.
So it's a different mind set going on. What's few more hours of wiring after a few hundred of motor swaps, ECM's, Programming, fuel pumps, Ignition modules etc?

I wouldn't touch the HHR SS that I Drive. OK , maybe few mods but nothing serious like cutting up the dash!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 9:15 am

...Yet.

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 10:11 am

Interesting way of looking at things Dave.No wonder the sheep are so fond of you.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 7:44 am

Latest project is just about set. I mentioned ordering a Vacuum gauge and Wideband AFR sensor and gauge from Glowshift. They screwed p the wiring harness and it took a few emails back and forth to get that operational. They pinned wires to the wrong places on one of the cables. Both gauges are in and operational to the extent that I can visually monitor as I'm driving.

Last step for the Wideband is hooking up the connections to the ECM and getting the ECM to recognize the new data stream. I had help from the boys at www.thirdgen.org on that part of things. Need to load the changes in programming up to my Prominator to see what happens yet.

I snapped some of the clips off the A pillar though when I tore it off, and will need to jury rig a new way of keeping the pillar up... likely just a capped screw. I'll be working on capping off the top and face of the dash this weekend.

Shammoo update - Page 4 DashandPillar2

Shammoo update - Page 4 Dashandpillar1

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:05 am

Dave that looks awesome and Mikes right about the patience you have with your mods.My
kid brother is that way.And yes I too would be very hesitant to start cutting up a new cars
wiring harness like the HHRs.You ever get confused driving with all that info in front of you?
Just kidding but as we age the simple things become less simple and the complicated things
become someone else's problem.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:18 am

Some might consider it a distraction, but every car has idiots light already.

I simply prefer idiot gauges.

If you look closely at the blue plastic where the idiot lights used to be, they have been hollowed out. Could it be that more gauges are in it's future?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:03 am

Dave you install any more gauges and you will to change the name from Shammo to Black
Bird as in SR 71.Definitely will look like the instrument panel of an aircraft.Looks great so far!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Dave you install any more gauges and you will to change the name from Shammo to Black
Bird as in SR 71.

Perhaps a Gaugeometer that keeps a running tally on just how many gauges are installed. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 6:52 pm

If will fit into a 52mm hole, it might just work!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Did you leave space for the flux capacitor?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 7:05 am

OH DAMN... I KNEW I FORGOT SUMTHIN!

Shammoo update - Page 4 Flux_capacitor

CRAP! It only comes in blue, and all my other gauges are RED!

I wonder if Bewber can use this for wagonfest shirts! (only kidding)

Shammoo update - Page 4 American-classics-back-to-the-future-flux-capacitor-men-t-shirt-from-american-classi
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 7:27 am

I solved an intermittent problem this week that was driving me further over the edge than I already am.

At times, my back gate window would not actuate. It would just go absolutely dead, and then for no reason, would just start working again with a solid thunk, like nothing was ever wrong!

The problem was in the steering column.

I switched to a floor shifter a few years ago. I removed the stalk of the old unit. The trick was that the cup (or cowl) that the old shift knob was attached to, would rotate around slightly, out of the "park" position.

As a safety feature, GM designed the rear window release circuit so that it can only function when the vehicle is in park, and you can't run over your mother-in-law that way. (dumbass engineers) So when the cowl unit would slip around slightly out of park... no more rear window ability.

The same slipping can also create a "No Start" condition as well. Keep in mind the car can only be started in park or neutral. So if it slips, the car is dead, and you would not even get a click out of the ignition, DEAD BATTERY? No it's just not in park.

I "JB Weld"ed the cowl to the shaft covering, underneath whee it wouldn't be noticed,and now I don't have any more issues with the rear window release.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 6:15 pm

...But will Luke Skywalker and the Rebel Alliance arrive in time before the awesome power of the Empire's Death Star is fully functional?

Shammoo update - Page 4 Dashbefore

NOT LIKELY!

MUAHAHA!

Shammoo update - Page 4 Dashafter

Shammoo update - Page 4 100_3674

Last edited by lakeffect on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 6:19 pm

lakeffect wrote:
Shammoo update - Page 4 100_3674

Your map lights look like your overhead is possessed by a demon with glowing yellow eyes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 7:28 pm

I think you need a Lumina wheel. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Dave you do good work considering your age and this sheep obsession you have.Good thing
you have plenty of space in your wagon so they dont get jealous of each other.Personally
I would call it quits and enjoy all my hard work but I know you have more plans dont you?
Sheep ever get jealous of all the time you are spending on the wagon?
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 8:46 pm

More plans?

Me?

Posi and 3.42:1 coming soon, within a few weeks.

Dual electric fans from mike (200Oz) on the shelf, going in likely over winter.

Mini-cooper hood scoop once the mechanical fan is cleared out of the way to the air filter, next spring.

At some future.point a full repaint.

... considering my age.... luckily, I'm very immature.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 9:06 pm

You immature?Talk about an understatement.LOL.Wagon going to look wicked with a new paint job.Are you talking about a Mini Cooper S scoop or one of the John Cooper Works
scoops?What about an STI flush scoop instead?Just an suggestion!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 4:32 am

Didn't know there were two kinds for mini's

The Subaru type scoops stick up in the air too much for my liking. The mini's lay relatively flat and are more unobtrusive.

Immaturity... A woman who was 104 was shown being interviewed on NBC one morning. She was being asked what she attributed her long life to. Her response was that she acted as immature as she could.

When asked why in the world she would do that, her response was,

"IF I ACTED MY AGE I'D BE DEAD!"

At 60 years old, I also play in a classic rock band, and have gigs lines up all spring, summer and new ones being added for fall.

www.4comotion.com or facebook the word comotion

Last edited by lakeffect on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 5:42 am

Stingroo wrote:
I think you need a Lumina wheel. Smile

I was just thinking, all that custom work and a stock wheel. I vote a late 80's Corvette wheel. That'd look good in there. The thick 2-spoke one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 8:44 am

Dave if you enjoy playing and dont get booed off the stage,GO FOR IT.The Stones,Aerosmith
and a bunch of other rock bands that qualify for social security are still playing to sold out
houses and if it makes you feel good about yourself then ROCK ON .
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 9:21 am

I'm Not saying I would do this at full price... maybe a kockoff or ebay version..

This tends to match the wheels that are on the car, which are Boyd Coddington designed. To me, it would be a good tie in. But close to $500.00 for just a steering wheel!

Shammoo update - Page 4 Steering_large_07

For $139.00 this might be more workable

Shammoo update - Page 4 SUM-772705

I checked the application chart, it mentions Caprices up to 1990, I suspect that's when teh Airbags came out.. So the wuestion becomes if the air bag is removed, Would it fit?

Any body swap steering wheels yet?

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 10:08 am

lakeffect wrote:

Any body swap steering wheels yet?

are you kidding? you never noticed all the threads?? and pics?

you shouldn't be changing the car,. remember its heritage quote, unquote,.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 10:20 am

It's heritage IS change.

According to Kicker, it was never one way for more than a short time. They upgraded it constantly during it's touring period. It was changed after they owned it as well. So what day in it's life am I supposed to duplicate? It's not a still life painting, it evolves.

I understand your point Nick, but what it it boils down is that it is now MY car. Even Hall of Fame athletes retire on move on to the rest of their lives after their sorts careers have faded. Time marches on, and Shammoo becomes what I want it to be, not what someone else envisions it to be...

... at least not until I sell it to them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 10:27 am

Dave that wagon is going nowhere but with you to your grave.Probably going to be buried in it anywhere!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 10:28 am

According to my wife, it will be soon!
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 11:45 am

What are those covered toggle switches on the console? Is that nitrous?

Flasheroo wrote:
Dave if you enjoy playing and dont get booed off the stage,GO FOR IT.The Stones,Aerosmith
and a bunch of other rock bands that qualify for social security are still playing to sold out
houses and if it makes you feel good about yourself then ROCK ON .
Jim Gordon

I saw Hubert Sumlin on PBS last year. He used to be the guitarist for Howlin' Wolf in the 50s and 60s, and he wrote
that riff for Smokestack Lightning. In the TV show, he was about 80 years old. And he blew those young guys
like Clapton off the stage. It was awesome.

Last edited by Nick Danger on Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Those are the "warp to light speed" switches. They activate the dilithium crystals.

Actually the silver ones are for interior lighting, front, center, rear.
The big red switch will be an electrical fan manual over ride.

Other stuff on lower console, left side red button is rear gate, check engine light above that.

Right side is rotary Prominator program selection switch and display. Center is access for the ECM. including ALDL datastream port and upload port along with power outlet for cables and laptop.

Thanks for the encouragement about Herb.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Oops. I misspelled his name, and you picked up on it. It's Hubert, not Herbert. This is the other guitarists (Clapton, Cray, etc.) playing backup for Sumlin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 1:51 pm

You'd just need the adapter for that wheel to bolt to. Otherwise, remove clock spring, put adapter on, bolt wheel to adapter, unplug yellow airbag wire, you're done. Steering wheel swapped out.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 7:03 pm

I see this adapter on Summit's site, But am a little gun shy because it says up to 1991 Caprice, and after that Impala up to 1985. So I don't know what to think about it being the correct part.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Interior-Accessories/Part-Type/Steering-Wheel-Installation-Kits/Brand/Summit-Racing/?autoview=SKU&keyword=Adapters

Last edited by lakeffect on Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 7:03 pm

91-93 will be the same, cant say about 94+ because of the VATS.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Lucky for me that Shammoo is a 1993.

First comes the Posi and 3:42's so I can hit the drag strip at least once this year.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 5:53 pm

Shammoo went in for surgery yesterday. The Proctologist worked on his rear end for a few hours and will be sending him home in a few minutes. Therapy is taking it easy for the next few weeks or few hundred miles, and stay out of strip joints for awhile.

Shammoo now has a posi and 3.42:1 gears

Shammoo update - Page 4 Partytime2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:19 pm

Treat her gently for a while and she will repay with miles of happiness.How does it feel just driving
her gently as you can?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Shammoo is too mean to be a "she" unless it's Sicilian instead of Caprician

I'll have to check for a hairy chin to know if it's Sicilian
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:00 pm

Dave are you familiar with the female Orca?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Only sheep.

Do female Orcas have hairy chins like Sicilian women?

Unibrows like Auntie Maria?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Yes and maybe!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 9:51 am

Adjusted the hood latch as it was set too low. Couldn't get the thing to catch. and hood was rubbing one fender anyway.

Got a few miles on the gears. I haven't been nailing it yet.

Finally got the Stereo in the lower console all hooked up. Haven't had tunes in the car for about two years.

I tend to listen to the sidepipes to sort out tuning issues. LOVE THE SOUND!

Now that I have wide band O2 sensing, I've been working on Acceleration Enrichment issues. The AFR hangs up really rich (10.0) with very slight touch of the pedal, and stays there for awhile. Really messing up fuel mileage. I'm learning more about MAP AE events over at www.thirdgen.org and will apply that knowledge this weekend.

By the way, a near miraculous event occurred with my last fuel fill up. I usually calculate gas mileage to see what effects my tuning is having.

I started with figures at 8.3 mpg. This last fill up gave me 10.1 I realize that you guys getting over 20mpg are crapping your pants right now, but that's almost a twenty two percent change just by better tuning. I would suspect maybe a goal of 12 mpg might be obtainable, particularly when I got the enrichment issue fixed and get "Highway Mode" working when cruising.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 10:54 am

Dave all joking aside you should be able to get a lot better mileage now that you are learning
more with the wideband gauge.If a factory 430hp vette can pull an easy 28mpg on the road,
your wagon should get an easy 17mpg on the road once your tune is finalized.The old saying
says knowledge is power and in your case knowledge is gas mileage.
IMHO
JEG
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 11:58 am

That 430hp Vette has heads that are light years ahead in design/flow than the heads on Shammoo. That's where the magic of HP and mileage comes from.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Thats why I said 17 mpg on the road and not 27!I am very aware of the flow characteristics of
the LS heads!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 5:11 pm

Okay! Thanks for letting me know!

Jason!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 10:04 am

For the record, the heads are traditional, being that it's on an old school 400 block, but they are AFR 195's that have had a little work to match ports better. I chose them to keep the velocity of the air higher at lower rpm. The motor isn't designed to go to 7000 rpm. It's designed for low end torgue. Heavy car, lots of stop lights, neighbor hood travel is it's most common use. Racing at the strip will only happen a few times a year.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I changed a few settings in the program yesterday for enrichment (AE), and see a little difference. Essentially I'm trying to find the settings for how soon, how much. and how long.

Last edited by lakeffect on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 10:53 am

Sounds like Shammoo is just another one of the sheep in that regard.

LOL
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:42 pm

Well, turns out the difference I thought I was seeing in programming was actually bad.

An item named a multiplier was really a divider or factor for what I was hunting down. In stead of increasing fuel at TPS tip-in as you increased the multiplier, it was actually decreasing it because it was really a divider or inverse function. Freaking mislabeled stuff!

After raising the figure acceleration "bog" got worse. Finally cutting it 20% made the bog just about disappear. Now back to draining the rest of the swamp, one muck hole at a time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 11:57 pm

Dont worry Dave we have confidence in you!AH dont we guys?Well hell I think we have confidence
in you or someone there who doesnt walk on all 4's.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 6:49 am

Been messing with more stuff trying to end something odd I see when under slight throttle pressure. The AFR gauge goes immediately to 10.0, richest reading possible and wants to stay there. I Seem to be slowly finding some things that affect it. I would imagine dumping in fuel unneeded is grossly affecting milage.

If you've been reading the racing section, you know that Shammoo made it to the drag races locally.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Another issue may have been fixed tonight.

I've been having a hot restart issue in that The AFR has been going way lean, maxing out.
In doing research on Thirdgen.org, one of the reasons given is the location of the Manifold Air Temperature sensor (MAT) being under plenum is very prone to being heat soaked. It's metal in metal. The joke being it measure the temperature of the metal plenum not the air.

GM apparently moved the MAT sensor in later years and called it an Intake Air Temperature sensor (IAT) It's now wired in and will be tested tomorrow.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shammoo update
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next