GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shammoo update

Go down 
+30
benn
stewzer55
silverfox103
BigBlackBeaSSt
bamalongroof
MalibuSSwagon
Fred Kiehl
Andebe
JoeT
JBLTZ
convert2diesel
mtrhead79
buickestate
jimbeau
Olds Weighty Eight
94Woody
1993 Roady-man
Nick Danger
81X11
Cadet57
bigoldv8
sherlock9c1
Bewber
Sprocket
jayoldschool
brokecello
phantom 309
Krzdimond
DBeaSSt
lakeffect
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
lakeffect

lakeffect

Shammoo update - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 8:43 pm

May have cured the hot restart issue. (Jjury is still out on that until further evidence comes in) I've been back to doing data logs again and learned a very important lesson over the past few days.

Don't tune your car on what the AFR gauge alone say. It can't be trusted.

Also while changing the MAT sensor over to an IAT sensor the other day, I must have whacked the TPS sensor and the idle set screw got loose on the throttle body. All sorts of nasty **** was happening that it wouldn't start, wouldn't stay running etc.

The throttle screw was just twirling around, and theTPS sensor was at 0.33 volts instead of .054, My son had my multi- meter across town at his house So I thought I was screwed till I came up with an idea..

I hooked My computer up, key on engine off to monitor the ECM. It was able to monitor the base line TPS voltage in real time in my software, and I used it to set the voltage.

With a digital RPM gauge, it was also easy to set the idle speed. At least that problem got solved.

Tried a few hot restarts after fiddling with open loop fueling vs coolant temp, adding abit more. Restarts seem better at this point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Congrats you old fart!Now reach around and pat yourself on the back~~LOL
jocolor
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 am

ThHat will have to wait till my back feels better. When I screwed up the other day, I strained it from trying to kick myself in the ass.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 7:36 am

prior to Wagonfest , I'm working on Shammoo's front bumper/spoiler. Local police never liked the arrangement of not having a front license plate after It got whacked in a parking lot and fell off. Happened last fall on election day.

So I'm adding a "frenched in" area to mount it with a little more character and class than just two sheet metal screws.

Also adding new spark plugs wires with ceramic ends at the plugs. The silicone stuff keeps getting fried against the headers. Doubt I'll have time to wrap the headers as well.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:19 am

lakeffect wrote:

So I'm adding a "frenched in" area to mount it with a little more character and class than just two sheet metal screws.

Don't let the sheep find out your frenching anything else.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:48 am

The one with the pretty red ribbon and bell gets really jealous!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 8:25 am

On Thursday night, July 28, the night before Watkins glen. I was polishing the aluminum wheels on Shammoo. When I pulled the right front off. I found 3 of 5 lug nuts loose.

When remounting the wheel I snapped off one of the wheel studs on that side, and had to make immediate repairs. I changes all five lugs (which is why I never got to polishing the rear wheels)

The one that broke had rust half way through where it snapped, so it obviously had issues for awhile.

I was mad when it happened, but in the long run, I realized that I would have been traveling at expressway speeds and doing laps at the Glen with three loose lug nuts!

Blessings can come in many disguises. I'm thankful.

As you Know by now, Shammoo got a trophy at Wagonfest 2011 for best interior mods, namely the new dash and consoles.

I learned afterward, that it was tie with Tim (Big Black Beast) and was a determined by a tie breaker. WOW!. I happy that I was smart enough to vote for myself!

Last edited by lakeffect on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 8:27 pm

No brakes lights . maybe a bad ground. One of the guys on the way to Watkins Glen mentioned there may be an issue. Looks like it became one. might have kicked a wire loose or the sheep were grazing in there.

Passed two milestones this week... cracked 100k mikes on the way back from Wagonfest, and got 14.4 mpg, up from 8.5 earlier in the spring as tuning began.

Last edited by lakeffect on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Well that proves you are doing something right -------------------for a change!
Jim cyclops
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:41 am

Been fiddling with more ECM tuning over the past several weeks. Been trying to get a handle on way too much fuel being dumped in when slightly touching the gas. I may have finally found the correct sections of the programming to change for Acceleration Enrichment and Power Enrichment.

PE was coming on at 20% KPa when it idles at 60Kpa, and AE was way too rich in that I am using 32lb/hr injectors on a program written to 19lb/hr units. Took awhile to understand the aspect of what controlled how soon, how much, how long.

Due to surgery, I won't testing for a few more days yet.

Luckily i can't paint the living room either.. rough life!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 8:07 am

So now the calendar has moved on and it's November.

Shammoo blew a head gasket the other day. Luckily I was only a block or so from home when it happened. I had been cleaning out the garage anyway in preparation of putting Shammoo into hibernation for winter, but abdominal surgery slowed that process up. Gave me a chance to sort out all my tools, BUT NO LIFTING. With my son's help, the heavy stuff got attended to and Shammoo is officially off the road for winter as of 11/06/11

So next is the process of tearing down the engine to get at the even # cylinder bank, who includes taking off all the TPI stuff, wiring intake manifold and right cylinder head. I wanted to polish the intake system anyway, so it was going to come off anyway.

Additionally will come a change over to dual electric fans. It will clear the way, both literally and figuratively for the hood scoop to get mounted in place. I decided to go low profile with a Mini-Cooper scoop, not the old school "pro" scoop.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Dave,you're not going to pull both heads?If you hurt the head gasket on the even side,you may
have hurt the negative side and it has not let go yet.It wont be that much more work to go
ahead and pull both heads for a close inspection!Sure some of the gang has something to say
about it!
Jim
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 3:20 pm

I've got to pull the manifold to get to the right bank, so at that point you are right.. What's a few more bolts. (and $67.00 more for another gasket)

As of 3:00pm this after noon I've stripped all of the upper induction system off and am down to the intake manifold. I'm not happy seeing a film of oil on the inside of the manifold tubes.

So I'd be better off pulling both heads to see what that's all about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 3:24 pm

Better safe than sorry.You have all winter to get it right,so take your time and dont lift anything
heavy.Leave the damn sheep alone too!
Jim
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 3:39 pm

I'll need some wool to wipe off the oil. The little bitch that kicks will make good lamb chops as well.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Winter is over, back to engine rebuilding.

First thing I have to tell you is Nick was right.

I'd mentioned about the leaky head gasket and Nick mentioned it's more likely to be other causes. He was right. The water i was getting was due to the heater hose clamp loosening up. It was spaying water onto the back of the engine which gave me the impression the water was coming out the back of the head.

The hose came off with barely a tug. Wish I'd taken Nick's advice to heart, instead of being so smug about it. Thanks for trying to steer me correctly Nick. Had I listened, I wouldn't be rebuilding the top end of the motor again.

Dave

Last edited by lakeffect on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Best of luck dave,.i,ve just put so many motors together over the years,. i,ve fixed all kinds of oddball stuff,. and other than cometic gaskets weeping outside because the block wasn't prepared right,.i,ve yet to see a gasket let go to the outside,. always compression into the jacket internally,.

The only example i,ve ever had cause to work with was 3406C and 3406E cat motors. the earlier 3406C i had. had an aluminum upper spacer/liner support plate that used to rot if the coolant filter wasn't changed regularly, always at the back of the motor,. i patched the first one thru a winter with an epoxy that cat sold, literally but cleaning it with brake cleaner and using my finger and caulking it,.Thankfully it was a 379 pete with a long hood and plenty of room at the back of the head,.
I still had to pull the head later, and i added the updated steel spacer plate,
The later one i had was the 3406E and it had an oil leak at the back , and that one was caulked up and it was still going when i sold it,. (mebbe 250,000 miles later,.

So to refer back to your problem, if compression blows thru a gasket, the compression loses its force going into the water jacket and the pressure heads off to the rad and the rad cap etc,. to force it out the back of the head would mean the rad would have to be able to hold some incredible pressure,.

I often give advice if i know what i,m talking about,. sometimes folks listen,. sometimes they think because its me, they figure i,m full of BS, and they go their own way,.(i think i grate on some folks nerves sometimes,.) Laughing
either way its no skin off my nose,.

sorry for your luck dave, but you,re a big man to post it publicly,.someone might read it and remember it and save themselves some heart ache later,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 8:28 am

Thanks Nick.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 2:07 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

I often give advice if i know what i,m talking about,. sometimes folks listen,. sometimes they think because its me, they figure i,m full of BS, and they go their own way,.(i think i grate on some folks nerves sometimes,.) Laughing

The thougth of that is just ludacris.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 3:52 pm

1993 Roady-man wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

The thougth of that is just ludacris.

LUDACRIS Shammoo update - Page 5 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDG_4A0g93HLgAVFPpt5CzlhSP4vYQUSDuIC4w-pVoSCX7K2ul
the black rapper?

or ludicrous?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Next thing Nick will tell us is that you can fix bad horns with diesel fuel. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Yuuup!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 5:19 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

The thought of that is just ludacris.

LUDACRIS Shammoo update - Page 5 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDG_4A0g93HLgAVFPpt5CzlhSP4vYQUSDuIC4w-pVoSCX7K2ul
the black rapper?

or ludicrous?

The first one. He's also into sheep
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Know you know ludicrous. I knew you would get the ideal when I spelt it.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:12 pm

That's coolio.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Shammoo update - Page 5 7SPB_Coolio
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 9:42 pm

oh brother, all you skinny lipped crackahs are wearing the google out now getting all gangsta like n all,.

I could give it to ya but what you gon do withit?

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 9:45 pm

This thread is getting interesting. lol
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 2:55 am

12 freaking pages.. and NOW it's getting interesting? afro
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 9:45 am

Back to the real world. The cylinder head is back on, still need to reset the lash for the lifters.
While it is off, I'm alos porting the lower manifold slightly.
There are some nasty Casting ridges inside the corssover chambers that need attention, and more porting of the upper plenum. and SLP tubes

WHY don't I just get a Holley Street ram setup? Because I like the looks of this better and I already own it. All it costs to improve is a few bucks for bits to grind with.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 9:12 am

Back to the garage. Hoping my son will come over to help me throw the intake manifild back on. due to the cowl overhang the only way to get the distributor in place is to stick the dist shaft through the manifold hole and fit both pieces on together.

Due to the differences between TBI and TBI manifolds, it's the only way to make it happen.

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Well, the good news is that it is all back together as of about 6:00pm

Plenty of fuel at the rail.

The bad news. Although it turned over, there was no sign of spark from the ignition system.
Will likely need to dig through it to see where the issue is again.

Back to the future again. Been there, did that so many times before.

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 8:25 pm

lakeffect wrote:
Well, the good news is that it is all back together as of about 6:00pm

Plenty of fuel at the rail.

The bad news. Although it turned over, there was no sign of spark from the ignition system.
Will likely need to dig through it to see where the issue is again.

Back to the future again. Been there, did that so many times before.

You put the rotor back in?

Turn on all 8 ignition cooling fans?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 8:36 am

OH CRAP! forgot the plutonium earth demodulator chiller fan. But I need the 3 gigawatt alternator installed first!

I think it may have been my connection for the remote ignition module. It likely is polarity dependent and my home made plug goes on either way.

Then again, might have been just lots of wool stuck in the throttle body.

Last edited by lakeffect on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 8:16 pm

as of 04/12/2012 6:30pm I got it fired up. It was the ignition module connection, but for a different reason than I thought. I didn't tighten the distributor hold down clamp hard enough, knowing I 'd need to set the base timing again. So The dizzy spun about 90* and pulled the connector loose.

Easy fix bu,t typical of TPI systems, hard to get to as it's buried behind all the TPI Plenum crap.

All is well. Checked the TPS voltage, dead on the mark, Will check for codes next, then pull the timing connector to set the base timing on Saturday, I have the day off to deal with it.
Aslo need some small stuff, like Lokar Dipstick sealed better. (Spitting oil at the block hole) and the A/C compressor brace put back on.

Afterward comes a summer long project of Datalogging and burning chips to fix last years issues, anlong with body and interior projects again.
Dave
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 12:11 pm

Thre steps back, One step forward

I found a broken Starter head casting. .. accounting from some really nasty noises.

Ah well, I needed to get under the car anyway. At least it's not raining.

Off to Advance Auto!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 3:32 pm

I put the new starter in yesterday. Shammoo is still up on jacks. it's raining and I'm wuss. Need to put the convertor inspection cover back on, but want to fire it up a few more times to make sure the starter is engaging well. Then on to setting the base timing again.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Shammoo update - Page 5 Dave
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks ever so much for ewe-r support!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 8:51 am

Well, it's official.

Shammoo goes back on the road today.

Back to being a two car family again.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:18 pm

lakeffect wrote:
Well, it's official.

Shammewe goes back on the road today.

Back to being a tewe?? car family again.

Thats a presumptuous statement,.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Obviously the French Canadian spellings!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 2:41 pm

44* and raining, no work getting done today. Possible SNOW tonight!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:42 pm

Yuck! Eager to see it again in NY!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 7:25 am

Don't be in any hurry. Next morning, major Nor'easter striking as we speak, with snow on the ground and in the trees that bloomed way too early during the warm winter. Devastation to crops, orchards, gardens and fruit trees this year.

Last edited by lakeffect on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Back to the car.... As mentioned it's on the road again. I had messed up with one section of rewiring when I put it together. I was getting negative signal out of the ignition trigger coil. My own fault for not using a polarized form of plug. wyhen I went remote with it. I was getting ignition retarding instead of advancing Very nasty.

Back to normal now, and once again the ECM reprogramming season starts anew.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 10:26 pm

The car is running fairly well. Working on some tip-in issues, getting rid of a little bog, and trying to lean out the Acceleration Enrichment that comes afterward.It likes to peg the AFR meter at 10.0with a light throttle increase.

Coming to a steering wheel column near me

Shammoo update - Page 5 A20791e13480b665e8c79a_s

From forever sharp products at http://www.foreversharp.com/media/00/a20791e13480b665e8c79a_s.jpg

Got this in the mail a few days ago, For $20.00 extra, they engraved "Shammoo" into the horn button.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 10:37 pm

didn't know that K-tel made Kinsu steering wheels!

you'll have to start counting your fingers before and after every turn of the wheel! and wear a cup!
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 10:38 pm

K-Tel

Too damn funny.......
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 10:56 pm

I thought it looked a little more Ronco myself...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shammoo update
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next